PDA

View Full Version : 25 Year Reunion

Bridgie
11-17-2005, 08:19 AM
Mine was this past September. I couldn't go because I was too phobic. My husband said he would take me there and drop me off (he didn't want to go), but I was just too fearful to go by myself. So no big deal.

Til this morning when I saw the pictures from the reunion. And I cried because I missed it and cried because I wasn't brave enough to go. And cried because I feel this way. And I cried because all the guys got old and fat, hee hee, and I missed it.

:cry:

shoe
11-17-2005, 08:58 AM
aww, sorry you feel that way Bridgie. But its not like anyone would actually stay in touch after the reunion would they? (well I wouldn't have any clue really, Im bad at relationships) Anyway, it's just one day of your life that you didn't do something, no biggy. You'll have thousands of days to go do things you can be proud of.

If it makes u feel any better, I won't have any reunion because I dropped high school in the 3rd year, and besides I didn't even have ONE friend. yuck I even hope I never bump into any of those people ever again lol

cheer up girl ;)

babycristy
11-23-2005, 05:09 PM
Sorry about that Bridgie. But shoe is right, its just one day of your life, don't waste your tears over it...Wish I can say more but Its only been 2 years since ive left high school, I got another 23 years to get better from my anxiety, I hope I get better by then.

11-23-2005, 06:48 PM
Awww Poor Bridgie, I am sorry to hear that you did not go. No worries as I am in agreeance with what Cristy and Shoe had to say, it is just one day, so no big deal. I too would not go to my Reunion, as I never had any friends in High School, and quite frankly I don't care to go back to the place or have any memory of it for that matter, I know it is sad, but true lol.

anangel4me
11-23-2005, 06:54 PM
My 20yr high school reunion is coming up early next year. I am debating about going. But besides my anxiety, and panic attacks, to me high school reunions are just about catching up on gossip. they all want to know who you married, how many kids you have, did you get divorced, etc......i really didn't have any friends in high school but i tell you what i just might go so they could see the new me and laugh at those who thought they were better than me....lol, so don't be sad bridgie. :D

Auburn
12-01-2005, 04:56 PM
Hey, Bridgie-

Don't beat yourself up! You didn't feel up to it and that is not something you should feel guilty about. It could have been much worse if you went, had a horrible miserable time, and then came home to deal with anxiety and depression for months. You could always look up the friends you missed, right? :)

I find it's much easier to see people individually than attend these silly group functions. Sometimes they are fun, but I think for most people that's rare. Everyone is so worried about what others will think that it really makes for a tense atmosphere.

A few years ago I skipped out on a family reunion. It was a very difficult thing to do as it really upset my father and I felt uber guilty. But after dealing with months of depression from going to my mom's reunion I felt I made the right decision.

Later that year, I met individually with family members. It was a great way to avoid dealing with the reunion bs, and it was much more fun and easier on me and dh.

I hope you feel better. Never feel guilty for taking care of yourself.

Bridgie
12-01-2005, 05:34 PM
Thanks everyone. I cried that day but did not think of it again. Yes, it was only one day, and there was only about one person I wanted to see, or so I thought, until I saw the pics. But I am okay now, it's in the past and I am not dwelling on it!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

killingmeslowly
12-01-2005, 07:31 PM
reunions are bigger in the states than over in britain yet, still, i feel they are both events to merely state 'see how far i came' rather than genuine friendship.

i've always been considered the life and soul of the party but no way would i attend such an event (even if i wasn't sentenced with Anxiety Disorder.) people change so much in a few short years following school and returning to a former place is always disappointing in my view.. "Dai, that bloke who was always a great laugh and did loads of pranks is now mentally ill, quiet and prefers to be alone?" this stuff isn't for me at all.

reunions always remind my of a British show called Father Ted. the docile priest returned from his reunion and stated that every single one of his class mates became firemen - until it was pointed out that he must have attended the wrong building..

brickyard_red
12-01-2005, 10:39 PM
I totally agree with you killingmeslowly. I have not attented any of my reunions and I don't ever plan to. I did get in contact with two of my very good friends from high school this past year and was sorely disappointed in both. I am terribly sorry that I felt the need to get in touch with them and wish I had just left it as the wonderful memories of our friendship.

People change and that is a fact of life. It's not wrong or right, but sad in a way sometimes.

Cath :)

killingmeslowly
12-02-2005, 09:51 AM
yes, i can see reunions being more harm than good - especially if your high school sweetheart turns out to be a fat slob with body odour problems and suffers from an annoying giggle..

sleeping dogs etc.