PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and work

Mainecoon
03-09-2014, 12:18 AM
Hi guys,

I'm new here, but have been dealing with panic attacks, anxiety, social phobia, and depression. I am on 2 medications an SNRI and klonipin. I have been out of work on short term for about 3 months now. I have been having relapses every few years or so but always had either move on to a new job, just because I was afraid to go back. So now I have had the job of my dreams, everything I've been working for. The past three years have been great until I went out. So I want to ask, I supposed to go back in Monday, but I do not feel the least bit ready. I've done CBT and with the meds it does help a lot. I am not out of benefits, and my doc fill recertify but I need some advice because I don't want to lose this one. I have already extended it one week and felt amazing the past week, but this weekend I started to have the same high blood pressure feeling along with all the fear and anxiety that come with rambling thoughts. Help!

Damaged77
03-09-2014, 04:30 AM
Hello,
I have been dealing with a lot of the same things you are. And I too am on several meds. For depression, high blood pressure and anxiety. And I know work is stressful, but if you have the job of your dreams? Can I ask what is giving you the most anxiety about it? I myself like the job I do, but I can't stand the hours and the place I do it. And about a month ago I had a panic attack at work. I should have taking time off to deal with it but I didn't. Not sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing?? What type of social anxieties are you having?? If you would like to chat? I am on here off and on throughout the entire day. :)

Mainecoon
03-09-2014, 11:41 PM
Hi, Im sorry I didn't get a chance back on. basically when the panic attacks get bad after I calm down I fall asleep. My biggest problem is right before you get a panic attack you vision sort of changes(im guessing fight or flight mode). That's what scares me the most. When I will speak with coworker or bosses. I feel like im going to have that issue. The second biggest problem which I have been trying to work out for years is that I am a male and constantly go the gym so im in great shape. The problem is in my upbringing and my thought process that was beat into my subconscious that its a female problem. No sexism intended. Today has been the worst day thus far until I just thought I would ask for an extension. That's when the panic attacks slowed.

Damaged77
03-10-2014, 04:41 PM
Hi! I am not sure what you do as far as your job goes, but I work with the public. And working with the public takes a LOT out of you, not only physically but mentally. And I know that now a days with the economy being what it is, it is a constant battle to fight and keep any job, so there is constant stress there. And I know there are times when it comes to speaking with co-workers and bosses where you may not feel totally confident of you feel like you don't mean anything, and that's tears you apart and causes anxiety. But you have to tell yourself that what you are experiencing EVERYONE in their lifetime has it will experience anxiety and panic attacks. And you have to tell yourself, that you are special and you have something to bring to your workplace that only you can bring. And if they have negative things to say, F'em! It's their loss! You have to take care of you! I know when something goes wrong at work, I tend to get mad and go into defense mode. And I realize that I can't get worked up about it. I have to choose my battles and fight the fight to get myself better. I am also a man and I can't tell you how many days that I have sat and cried because of all of this. I know they say that anxiety disorder is more common in women but that's because society has said it's not manly for guys to express their feelings. And holding all that in isn't good for you. I am 36 years old and in my lifetime I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen my father cry. There is nothing shameful about how you feel. Crying helps cleanse the soul. They say that having anxiety attacks isn't a sign that someone is weak, but a sign of someone being strong for too long.

Mainecoon
03-10-2014, 11:51 PM
Hi! I am not sure what you do as far as your job goes, but I work with the public. And working with the public takes a LOT out of you, not only physically but mentally. And I know that now a days with the economy being what it is, it is a constant battle to fight and keep any job, so there is constant stress there. And I know there are times when it comes to speaking with co-workers and bosses where you may not feel totally confident of you feel like you don't mean anything, and that's tears you apart and causes anxiety. But you have to tell yourself that what you are experiencing EVERYONE in their lifetime has it will experience anxiety and panic attacks. And you have to tell yourself, that you are special and you have something to bring to your workplace that only you can bring. And if they have negative things to say, F'em! It's their loss! You have to take care of you! I know when something goes wrong at work, I tend to get mad and go into defense mode. And I realize that I can't get worked up about it. I have to choose my battles and fight the fight to get myself better. I am also a man and I can't tell you how many days that I have sat and cried because of all of this. I know they say that anxiety disorder is more common in women but that's because society has said it's not manly for guys to express their feelings. And holding all that in isn't good for you. I am 36 years old and in my lifetime I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen my father cry. There is nothing shameful about how you feel. Crying helps cleanse the soul. They say that having anxiety attacks isn't a sign that someone is weak, but a sign of someone being strong for too long.

We have a lot in common, if you have any other method to talk, I would love to. I would just like to stay discrete on a public forum