PDA

View Full Version : Losing hope...

patches6996
03-07-2014, 10:41 PM
I'm 17 years old. I've had derealization for almost a year and a half. It started with my anxiety but I have it much more under control now. I'm just so scared that this will never go away. It's been constant since the day I got it. Does anybody else have experience with this too? I really need some hope right now. I miss being a part of the world around me... How do I get back to reality?
P.S. I'm on 100mg Sertraline and I'm tapering off of Klonopin. I should be off of it in a month. Thank you so much in advance

AliasEQ
03-08-2014, 04:01 AM
I'm 17 years old. I've had derealization for almost a year and a half. It started with my anxiety but I have it much more under control now. I'm just so scared that this will never go away. It's been constant since the day I got it. Does anybody else have experience with this too? I really need some hope right now. I miss being a part of the world around me... How do I get back to reality?
P.S. I'm on 100mg Sertraline and I'm tapering off of Klonopin. I should be off of it in a month. Thank you so much in advance

Welcome! :)

I know it sucks. Dr/dp is my worst symptom. I know it's horrible. It's only temporary tho, it WILL go away. You need to learn how to cope with your anxiety. Anxiety causes dr/dp, not vice versa. There's alot of inforrmation here on the forum that can help you. Knowledge is good.

You're not alone, wish you the best!

needtogetwell
03-08-2014, 05:50 AM
Welcome Patches....

I'm not much help in your area of difficulty but I will always lend an ear or a shoulder.

I do know much about anxiety, mostly fear based, but in my experience many of the strategies to cope are useful for any type of anxiety.

Cheers!
~Pam

NixonRulz
03-08-2014, 06:36 AM
I'm 17 years old. I've had derealization for almost a year and a half. It started with my anxiety but I have it much more under control now. I'm just so scared that this will never go away. It's been constant since the day I got it. Does anybody else have experience with this too? I really need some hope right now. I miss being a part of the world around me... How do I get back to reality? P.S. I'm on 100mg Sertraline and I'm tapering off of Klonopin. I should be off of it in a month. Thank you so much in advance

Hi, Patches

Welcome here.

Derealization is horrible and that is way too long to be going through it

But I bring only good news to you today because the answer is quite simple

In order for the derealization to stop, you must stop fearing that it will never go away

Just that easy. Ok, just because the answer is easy doesn't necessarily mean the process is as simple

Your fear of it never stoping is what continues to fuel your anxiety, which causes the derealization to stay because it is a symptom of anxiety

Pretty screwed up cycle but you just continue to help it keep spinning

It was a symptom of mine, and many others here. I haven't felt that for many years

I don't miss it a bit

Understand and I mean really understand, that your derealization is a symptom of your anxiety and not the cause of your anxiety

Read many people's story here in order to be convinced derealization is a symptom and WILL stop

Once you believe that, the derealization stops

Next, you have to address your anxiety with however works for you. Meds, natural, meditation, CBT. Maybe all of them if you are a go-getter!

Anxiety is easily managed once you are on the right path

This will stop. It really will

Read all the people's success here to reinforce that it will stop

When you believe it will. And you understand how it works. It just will stop

I hope this is a very short journey for you

Kabukicho
03-08-2014, 07:02 AM
Dr/dp was my worst symptom too. Still is, when it crops up. I call it "spacey feelings" or "disorientation" because my pdoc doesn't really understand what I'm talking about otherwise...haha.

Anyway, I have done a good job of kicking it in the face and it's almost gone. I did exactly what Nixon said--I accepted it as a natural anxiety reaction and I stopped fearing it. I realized I could function perfectly well while having it. And I realized that maybe, just maybe, it was trying to tell me something. It was trying to tell me that I was too stressed in life, that my mind was too anxiety-ridden, and that I needed to take steps to reduce that anxiety. In that area, working with a therapist to adjust my thinking patterns was a big help.

You are NOT alone and it WILL go away. Believe it from me.

patches6996
03-08-2014, 11:14 AM
Thank you so much everybody... I was kind of wondering why it wasn't going away after I had accepted it. But if I'm being brutally honest with myself, I accepted that I had it and not that it would go away. I was working with a therapist a couple months back when I realized therapy just isn't for me. I've been on my benzo, Klonopin for almost a year and decided I no longer need it. I try to he as natural as possible, using herbs and supplements. I do meditate everyday and try to do yoga everyday. Would that, and positive thinking, be enough to combat this derealization? And for those of you that responded and had the same symptom, how long did you have it before you accepted it and it went away? And how do I know it's going away?

jessed03
03-08-2014, 11:21 AM
Thank you so much everybody... I was kind of wondering why it wasn't going away after I had accepted it. But if I'm being brutally honest with myself, I accepted that I had it and not that it would go away. I was working with a therapist a couple months back when I realized therapy just isn't for me. I've been on my benzo, Klonopin for almost a year and decided I no longer need it. I try to he as natural as possible, using herbs and supplements. I do meditate everyday and try to do yoga everyday. Would that, and positive thinking, be enough to combat this derealization? And for those of you that responded and had the same symptom, how long did you have it before you accepted it and it went away? And how do I know it's going away?

It can be, at least it should help, as both yoga and meditation are very stress releasing, although they can take a fair while to show any changes. Perhaps upto 3 years. Though you will see some relaxation effects pretty quickly.

Just, out of interest, tell me a bit about your life..

What do you do during an average day?

When did your dr/dp first come on? When it first come on, what happened after that? Did you need to quit your job, did you slowly lose friends etc.

NixonRulz
03-08-2014, 11:33 AM

It's not so much a "how long did you have it before you accepted it and it went away" question

Because everyone is different

It doesn't just one day stop when you realize that your derealization will end

It is more, that once you understand this is only temporary, you will start making gains pretty quickly towards it ceasing

You will start to feel better and a few days later you realize it is letting up until that one day that it is over

Positive thinking, benzos, meditation are calming techniques that get your mind and body relaxed to give it a bit of a rest

Remember that anxiety is the continuous negative reaction to thoughts that drift in your mind or a physical symptom you suspect to be scary or dangerous

So even when you are calmed by the things you use, if a thought pops in and your anxious mind jumps on it, you aren't calm for long

When you understand that you will get better, your mind starts buying in and helps push you where you want to be

If you have the "this will never end" attitude, you will probably be correct

Celebrate every little victory and let a setback be an opportunity to learn

patches6996
03-08-2014, 11:48 AM
Thank you, Nixon:) I'll post more in the next couple weeks saying how I'm doing and if it's lifted at all

NixonRulz
03-08-2014, 11:54 AM
Thank you, Nixon:) I'll post more in the next couple weeks saying how I'm doing and if it's lifted at all

Do that but reads lots here

Any concern you have is so not unique to you

Many people have also felt the exact way with the exact symptoms

Reading their success will surely booster your recovery

All the luck in the world to you

patches6996
03-08-2014, 12:38 PM
Wow so this symptom really is pretty normal then. Is it bad that I've had it as long as I have? I've definitely learned to ignore it. What's the difference between ignoring and accepting? I feel like as long as it doesn't bother you, it should go away

AliasEQ
03-08-2014, 12:43 PM
Wow so this symptom really is pretty normal then. Is it bad that I've had it as long as I have? I've definitely learned to ignore it. What's the difference between ignoring and accepting? I feel like as long as it doesn't bother you, it should go away

No it's not bad that you've had it for that long. Actually, believe it or not, I'm starting to enjoy it lol.

When you can smile while you're having it, that's when your recovery start. Don't let it bring you down. Ignoring is a quick solution, but not good in the long run. You need to learn to deal with the problem properly.

Accept it and say f*ck it <- Here's the cure.

patches6996
03-08-2014, 01:18 PM
This thread has been so helpful... Thanks everyone. I finally have some hope back:) I never thought I'd find a community so caring and understanding

jessed03
03-08-2014, 01:37 PM
I think it's quite problematic that you've had it for so long. I had it myself for a year, next thing I knew 5 years of my life had gone by in a haze.

I don't wanna kill your hope - that's why I asked you the questions above.

It isn't getting buried. And whilst it doesn't get buried, it gets harder and harder to eliminate.

I'm guessing it's not getting buried for two reasons.

Firstly; you may have anxiety or tension that is still quite profound. If you have free flowing anxiety, or tension inside of you, and it's still there, that's often gonna manifest itself in ways like DP, brain fog, spaceyness etc. When it gets too much, it overflows in these sort of ways.

Secondly; and this is the way that affects most people, and that is - perhaps you're accommodating it. People put their lives on pause, or reduce their duties whilst they have these nasty symptoms, as not only are they uncomfortable to live with, but make it quite difficult to function basically too. But that just puts conscious focus onto what should be an unconscious issue.

When you accommodate a symptom, it gets comfortable. It knows you're gonna work around it, so it puts its feet up. The same way teenagers do, when their mums are hoovering up, and they know they'll work around them. They barely move, and often can't even be bothered to lift their feet.

It's all too quick before you notice you have avoidance based on this symptom, and that creates anxiety. You feel unfulfilled, or restricted, or in a prison. Then you start to think how can I get this to go so I can get my life back? Now you have anxiety, over anxiety.

Now the conscious mind is trying to solve an unconscious process, and you drive yourself to exhaustion trying to work it out.

You didn't need to work it out or make it go away. It was never something that needed to be tackled through a conscious perspective. It just needed to be buried in the subconscious.

You just need to go on with life, completely normally, without trying to heal it.

You need to stop thinking about it, stop talking about it, stop thinking of life before it, stop comparing, stop analyzing whether or not you have it or if it's coming on or getting better. You make no allowances for it. Sure you can take a little rest if the day has been tiring, but you don't change anything in your life because of it.

If anything, now you need to begin to expand out. Add more things to your life. More enjoyment, more hobbies, more social interaction. More activity.

In the case of this symptom - You take the mindset that you are healed RIGHT NOW. Right at this moment you act as if you are healed...

And the subconscious mind will make it so for you. I promise.

If you ever find a time machine, take me back 5 years and tell me that.:)

needtogetwell
03-08-2014, 01:50 PM
I think it's quite problematic that you've had it for so long. I had it myself for a year, next thing I knew 5 years of my life had gone by in a haze. I don't wanna kill your hope - that's why I asked you the questions above. It isn't getting buried. And whilst it doesn't get buried, it gets harder and harder to eliminate. I'm guessing it's not getting buried for two reasons. Firstly; you may have anxiety or tension that is still quite profound. If you have free flowing anxiety, or tension inside of you, and it's still there, that's often gonna manifest itself in ways like DP, brain fog, spaceyness etc. When it gets too Secondly; and this is the way that affects most people, and that is perhaps you're accommodating it. People put their lives on pause, or reduced duties whilst they have these nasty symptoms, as not only is it uncomfortable, but quite difficult to function too. But that just puts conscious focus into an unconscious issue. When you accommodate a symptom, it gets comfortable. It knows you're gonna work around it, like your mum hoovering up around you without you needing to move, so it puts its feet up. Then you have avoidance based on this symptom, and that creates anxiety. You feel unfulfilled, or restricted, or in a prison. Then you start to think how can I get this to go, so I can get my life back. Now the conscious mind is trying to solve an unconscious process, and you drive yourself to exhaustion trying to work it out. You didn't need to work it out or make it go away. It was never something that needed to be tackled through a conscious perspective. It just needed to be buried in the subconscious. You just need to go on with life, completely normally, without trying to heal it. You stop thinking about it, stop talking about it, stop thinking of life before it, stop comparing, stop analyzing whether or not you have it or it's coming on. You make no allowances for it. You don't change anything in your life because of it. If anything, now you begin to expand out. Add more things to your life. More enjoyment, more hobbies, more social interaction. More activity. You take the mindset that you are healed RIGHT NOW. Right at this moment you act as if you are healed... And the subconscious mind will make it so for you. I promise. If you ever find a time machine, take me back 5 years and tell me that.:)

So well said Jessed! And truer words are rarely spoken!

patches6996
03-08-2014, 02:14 PM
I think it's quite problematic that you've had it for so long. I had it myself for a year, next thing I knew 5 years of my life had gone by in a haze. I don't wanna kill your hope - that's why I asked you the questions above. It isn't getting buried. And whilst it doesn't get buried, it gets harder and harder to eliminate. I'm guessing it's not getting buried for two reasons. Firstly; you may have anxiety or tension that is still quite profound. If you have free flowing anxiety, or tension inside of you, and it's still there, that's often gonna manifest itself in ways like DP, brain fog, spaceyness etc. When it gets too much, it overflows in these sort of ways. Secondly; and this is the way that affects most people, and that is - perhaps you're accommodating it. People put their lives on pause, or reduce their duties whilst they have these nasty symptoms, as not only are they uncomfortable to live with, but make it quite difficult to function basically too. But that just puts conscious focus onto what should be an unconscious issue. When you accommodate a symptom, it gets comfortable. It knows you're gonna work around it, so it puts its feet up. The same way teenagers do, when their mums are hoovering up, and they know they'll work around them. They barely move, and often can't even be bothered to lift their feet. It's all too quick before you notice you have avoidance based on this symptom, and that creates anxiety. You feel unfulfilled, or restricted, or in a prison. Then you start to think how can I get this to go so I can get my life back? Now you have anxiety, over anxiety. Now the conscious mind is trying to solve an unconscious process, and you drive yourself to exhaustion trying to work it out. You didn't need to work it out or make it go away. It was never something that needed to be tackled through a conscious perspective. It just needed to be buried in the subconscious. You just need to go on with life, completely normally, without trying to heal it. You need to stop thinking about it, stop talking about it, stop thinking of life before it, stop comparing, stop analyzing whether or not you have it or if it's coming on or getting better. You make no allowances for it. Sure you can take a little rest if the day has been tiring, but you don't change anything in your life because of it. If anything, now you need to begin to expand out. Add more things to your life. More enjoyment, more hobbies, more social interaction. More activity. In the case of this symptom - You take the mindset that you are healed RIGHT NOW. Right at this moment you act as if you are healed... And the subconscious mind will make it so for you. I promise. If you ever find a time machine, take me back 5 years and tell me that.:)That was absolutely beautiful:) I am going to accept it and stop fighting it. I'll just let it runs it's course, and in the meantime, get my old life back. That was probably the best advice I have ever gotten<3

AliasEQ
03-08-2014, 02:26 PM
I think it's quite problematic that you've had it for so long. I had it myself for a year, next thing I knew 5 years of my life had gone by in a haze.

I don't wanna kill your hope - that's why I asked you the questions above.

It isn't getting buried. And whilst it doesn't get buried, it gets harder and harder to eliminate.

I'm guessing it's not getting buried for two reasons.

Firstly; you may have anxiety or tension that is still quite profound. If you have free flowing anxiety, or tension inside of you, and it's still there, that's often gonna manifest itself in ways like DP, brain fog, spaceyness etc. When it gets too much, it overflows in these sort of ways.

Secondly; and this is the way that affects most people, and that is - perhaps you're accommodating it. People put their lives on pause, or reduce their duties whilst they have these nasty symptoms, as not only are they uncomfortable to live with, but make it quite difficult to function basically too. But that just puts conscious focus onto what should be an unconscious issue.

When you accommodate a symptom, it gets comfortable. It knows you're gonna work around it, so it puts its feet up. The same way teenagers do, when their mums are hoovering up, and they know they'll work around them. They barely move, and often can't even be bothered to lift their feet.

It's all too quick before you notice you have avoidance based on this symptom, and that creates anxiety. You feel unfulfilled, or restricted, or in a prison. Then you start to think how can I get this to go so I can get my life back? Now you have anxiety, over anxiety.

Now the conscious mind is trying to solve an unconscious process, and you drive yourself to exhaustion trying to work it out.

You didn't need to work it out or make it go away. It was never something that needed to be tackled through a conscious perspective. It just needed to be buried in the subconscious.

You just need to go on with life, completely normally, without trying to heal it.

You need to stop thinking about it, stop talking about it, stop thinking of life before it, stop comparing, stop analyzing whether or not you have it or if it's coming on or getting better. You make no allowances for it. Sure you can take a little rest if the day has been tiring, but you don't change anything in your life because of it.

If anything, now you need to begin to expand out. Add more things to your life. More enjoyment, more hobbies, more social interaction. More activity.

In the case of this symptom - You take the mindset that you are healed RIGHT NOW. Right at this moment you act as if you are healed...

And the subconscious mind will make it so for you. I promise.

If you ever find a time machine, take me back 5 years and tell me that.:)

Great post! Everyone with dr/dp should know this! Wish I knew this earlier :|

patches6996
03-08-2014, 04:30 PM
Too little people know how to actually get past this symptom. I feel like it should be more widely known about since it's SO common with anxiety

jessed03
03-08-2014, 04:37 PM
Hey patches, were you ever on this forum before? You look like another girl that used to visit :)

Kabukicho
03-08-2014, 04:39 PM
Excellent thread. I completely agree--it should be in the top five Google hits whenever someone searches for anxiety. And a response like jessed03's should be right there with it.

I focused entirely too long on my "spacey feelings" because I thought they were dangerous and needed to be obsessed over. How wrong I was. I should have just recognized them as my brain adjusting to exterior circumstances, as a natural phenomenon that occurs during anxiety-provoking situations, and let it drop at that. It took me over two years to get to that point. Oh well.

patches6996
03-08-2014, 06:53 PM
Hey patches, were you ever on this forum before? You look like another girl that used to visit :)yeah, I actually have visited before:) it was when my anxiety was at it's worst