PDA

View Full Version : Pain in sternum

MrsJ88
03-06-2014, 07:10 PM
Have you ever gotten pain in your sternum like really high up? I am in the car and man I turned around to look at my son and got a pain and now if I move my arm a certain way it hurts my sternum/chest really bad. Now I'm worried about my heart/chest of course.

Curtis D
03-06-2014, 07:14 PM
i get this almost everyday even more so when im stressed. not sure why but it will make you think all kinds of crazy thoughts but keep in mind its nothing to worry about

needtogetwell
03-06-2014, 07:34 PM
Have you ever gotten pain in your sternum like really high up? I am in the car and man I turned around to look at my son and got a pain and now if I move my arm a certain way it hurts my sternum/chest really bad. Now I'm worried about my heart/chest of course.

Hi MrsJ!

Well you are singing my song! First of all I'm going to tell you if this is bothering you or upsetting you go and get it checked out.

So here we go ..... I have a chronic condition called costocondritis.,. And basically what it is is exactly what you have described. It is inflammation in the connective tissue which attaches your ribs to your sternum. Hurts like a bugger and can scare you plenty too!

Try this.... If you press on the painful spot does it get worse? Press pretty hard, you will know because just above or below the spot will not feel pain, just pressure.

Twisting, turning, pulling or pushing things can trigger this. You said you twisted in the car when you got the pain.

Anyway as I said before if it bothers you by all means go get it checked out. Any pain in the chest area is not normal.

What to do to relieve the pain? If you have any Alieve, Motrin or Ibuprofen and can take it, they are anti-inflamatories and can reduce the inflamation. Ice on the spot also helps as can heat.

Take it easy lifting, pushing, pulling or twisting for a few days and you should be good as new.

Hope this helps
Cheers,
Pam

Niicole Lynne
03-06-2014, 07:51 PM
Hi MrsJ! Well you are singing my song! First of all I'm going to tell you if this is bothering you or upsetting you go and get it checked out. So here we go ..... I have a chronic condition called costocondritis.,. And basically what it is is exactly what you have described. It is inflammation in the connective tissue which attaches your ribs to your sternum. Hurts like a bugger and can scare you plenty too! Try this.... If you press on the painful spot does it get worse? Press pretty hard, you will know because just above or below the spot will not feel pain, just pressure. Twisting, turning, pulling or pushing things can trigger this. You said you twisted in the car when you got the pain. Anyway as I said before if it bothers you by all means go get it checked out. Any pain in the chest area is not normal. What to do to relieve the pain? If you have any Alieve, Motrin or Ibuprofen and can take it, they are anti-inflamatories and can reduce the inflamation. Ice on the spot also helps as can heat. Take it easy lifting, pushing, pulling or twisting for a few days and you should be good as new. Hope this helps Cheers, Pam

I also have costocondritus and it fucking sucks lol excuse my language
It used to scare me so much!!

jjh333
03-06-2014, 08:21 PM
when my anxiety kicks in my sternum is the first thing that starts hurting! it's definitely scary, especially when you feel like it interferes with breathing at all