PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here tried Welbutrin combined with Zoloft?

Applecherry
03-05-2014, 11:32 AM
My doctor prescribed me Welbutrin with the Zoloft I already take..he said I can try it, see if I like it, if not, then go off it..

I know very little about welbutrin, except that it's supposed to boost dopamine..I'm not that comfy with it. I don't feel I need something to make me happy per se, just less anxious.. if I am not anxious, I am naturally happier I believe (for the most part). No matter what I tell my doctor, he seems to think I am not 100 percent okay if I am not 100 percent happy, thus he needs to give me more medicines.. *scratches head*

Applecherry
03-05-2014, 11:33 AM
*Wellbutrin

Enduronman
03-05-2014, 11:35 AM
I don't take this combo, but it's actually quite common to see this prescribed. The wellbutrin acts as sort of a "pick me up" whereas the zoloft can sometimes be a "put me down" so the theory is to offset them...
Why not give it a shot and see what happens?
You may find yourself more cheerful and happy!!! AND...less anxious too.....YAY????!!!!!

Enduronman... :)

Applecherry
03-05-2014, 11:41 AM
I suppose it couldn't hurt to try it. Not sure if I wanna take the plunge til next week though.

BlessedMom
03-05-2014, 11:46 AM
My doctor prescribed me Welbutrin with the Zoloft I already take..he said I can try it, see if I like it, if not, then go off it..

I know very little about welbutrin, except that it's supposed to boost dopamine..I'm not that comfy with it. I don't feel I need something to make me happy per se, just less anxious.. if I am not anxious, I am naturally happier I believe (for the most part). No matter what I tell my doctor, he seems to think I am not 100 percent okay if I am not 100 percent happy, thus he needs to give me more medicines.. *scratches head*

I took Wellabutrin and Zoloft a few years ago, did well on it and didn't seem to notice any ill effects. It won't build up in your system immediately, so I am curious what is best about waiting until next week? :) He must have had a reason to give you the script did you mention you still weren't feeling well or something? He didn't just add it, right? Like out of the blue.

BlessedMom
03-05-2014, 11:48 AM
I would try it, if you do not like it or it isn't helpful, wean off :)

Applecherry
03-06-2014, 05:14 AM
What sort of doctor are we talking about here ?? Honestly what sort of a answer is that . Try it and see if it works and if not stop . How is this based on any facts what so ever .

This is a typical response from some one that has not a clue . "You know your problem , you just want to be happy all the time ", no its that i dont want to feel like shit all the time .

I think i will slowly walk away from this before i really get pissed .

Whats the anxiety from ??

Well, he's a medical doctor, so his specialty is not necessarily in anxiety and depression, and I don't go see him specifically for that, I take bp meds too.

in fact, it was another female doctor there who prescribed me my Zoloft in the first place, and I believe she specializes more in anxiety and depression than he does. but I never see her when I go there, I believe she's afternoon.

The problem is, each time he asks me how the Zoloft is doing, I'm like "it's good, it's working good" and he stares at me as if I am not telling the truth..lol. he's like "are you 100 percent happy" and then well fuck, what do I say to that? "I say, mostly it's fine, I do have anxiety still an..." then he's like "well, I can give you something extra to help".. the time before, he upped my Zoloft.. and he told me to just try the Wellbutrin as I said, if I don't like it, I can stop..so. but he said with Zoloft, if he upped the dose to 200 mg, isn't not going to be that different an effect from the 100 I take now..

second question, why I am waiting a week? I'm freaked a little bit..not ready for the commitment of another change in my body..it's hard..and I can take my time. :p

Applecherry
03-06-2014, 05:16 AM
I agree though, it's hard to say, "no, I don't think I need to be happy all the time" to him.. It seems he is very black or white with the depression, as if you should be 100 percent happy, or 100 percent sad.. I just want to be myself, without over what is NORMAL when it comes to anxiety and depression.. but, on that thought, I do not think you can find inner peace from a bottle..emotions just don't work that way..emotions are what make us human..

Applecherry
03-06-2014, 05:21 AM
Oh yeah, and why I have anxiety? I was born with it for one, I have a chemical imbalance when it comes to it, pretty sure, I remember a lot of anxiety I had as a child, and I remember OCD moments as a child too.. but, in recent years, I've been more stressed about some personal things, so it just makes that anxiety worse, and even a bit out of control.. When I am feeling more confident and certain of things in my life, my anxiety does stop again.

BlessedMom
03-06-2014, 09:07 AM
What sort of doctor are we talking about here ?? Honestly what sort of a answer is that . Try it and see if it works and if not stop . How is this based on any facts what so ever .

This is a typical response from some one that has not a clue . "You know your problem , you just want to be happy all the time ", no its that i dont want to feel like shit all the time .

I think i will slowly walk away from this before i really get pissed .

Whats the anxiety from ??

I don't think its a crap answer from a doctor regarding anxiety meds......not everyone reacts the same to every script and he cannot guarantee its going to work but only can say it might and if it doesn't work, then don't use it. Why did this get you so angry?

acetone
03-06-2014, 10:46 AM
I have tried it. My combo was sertraline+zyprexa+wellbutrin. It was okay.

BlessedMom
03-06-2014, 02:42 PM
Because honestly if you are going to start combining meds then you need to be doing it with information from someone that knows what those drugs do it the brain .

The reason i asked what sort of a doctor its was because i believe that this is not the case . I think what is happening is that the doctor thinks the zoloft is not working and wishes to try something else that is working on a different path in the brain . But yet wants to leave the zoloft which from my understanding he is saying is not working anyway . I think i would have seen more logic if he had said well they seem to part work so lets up the dose and see what happens .

There is some myth that these drugs part work , this is crap , they work or they dont and if the later then move on and find a better one but you dont need to be adding more in there first .

This is the logic with alot of doctors that do not understand fully these meds and the only training they have is from the drug meds trying to sell them .

I have been here so many times it is not funny some doctor that you trust wishes you to try this or that because they think it might help but it reality they dont know .

Personally i would never take another pill from doctor like this . I think it is best to see Pdoc that has training in these drugs but more so has training in how they interact with one another.

I see that if one drug is not working or doing the job it should then adding another without reviewing why the first one is not doing its job is a bit of a worry .

There is also classic symptoms that someone would see with someone that has low dopamine ( she seem to have no problem with passion in things ) which is what wellburtin is used for . I dont see these in Apple and wonder if the benefit that she would get from it would be worth any side effects that may come about .

There is also the comment about 100% . No one is 100% all of the time and more so if you feel unwell . I wonder weather CBT would be more helpful at this stage rather than another med in the pot . I do not know if Apple is doing it but i dont think i have heard her say so .

But honestly anxiety and depression is very complex problem , more so if you have had it for a long time as Apple said she has . She should be being seen by experts that know what they are doing and this is all they do. There is more damage done by the ones that think they know what they are doing instead .

But the reason i am really pissed about it is i dont want to see Apple go though what i went though in regards to meds . From the last 18 months i have been treated with meds that were to make me happy , increase my serotonin but only make me sick only to find out that my serotonin is not the problem and by raising it more they have made me sicker . In fact so sick at times that i wanted to die and then these doctor would tell me i was depressed because i wanted to die , not taking into account the reason i wanted to die was because the meds they had me on where making me that ill.

Apple , have you thought about going and finding a good Pdoc , one that will work on a plan of action with you to get to where you want to be ?

I suppose I am desensitized a bit by doctors "combing" drugs....I've had multiple additions and changes to my scripts over the years and I have suffered from anxiety since a young child but only received medical help as an adult.

I don't know how any doctor could say for 100% certainty that any of these drugs will be successful alone or in combination with another. Everyones brains and chemical make up are completely different so no drug works exactly the same from one person to another.

My daughter suffers from epilepsy and its the same with those medications, a total crap shoot and I agree its disgusting but in all of my research I have not found one doctor claiming to know it all when it comes to the likes of dealing with anxiety or epilepsy, it just isn't that easy. Some things work for some people, some combinations work and some don't. But that doesn't mean to stop trying.

BlessedMom
03-06-2014, 04:01 PM
I mean in no way should we stop trying . But i do think that we need to go to the experts .

I find that alot of doctors are very dismissive of mental health problems thinking that it is all in the mind and if we just changed the way we thought then it would be fine .

I have had seizures from meds that scared the shit out of me for doctors to sit and tell me its just a panic attack which they made up their minds from asking no questions.

Combined meds may be a good thing but i really do think this is a expert field . The first med , the benzo they placed me on they should have had me off the first day and every doctor says so now but it never happened because the people treating me knew nothing about them.

You are correct in that there is no 100% and more so dealing with the brain . I was reading about MS and they were saying that when it comes to it its nothing about MS but more about treating symptoms of the disorder . I think anxiety should be the same but it seems to be tossed into this one thing treats all when as you said its never the case . One way of treating people might fix 60% but there is stil that 40% that its dosent and they shoud be forwarded onto experts .

I think with a expert such as a Pdoc they have trained in the workings and understand more on what the brain is doing .

All my doctors and a nuro did not even know that moving serotonin causes migraines .

I think there comes a time where we need to stand up and say , your not helping i want to see a expert and i believe we have that right.

I have been very lucky in that my DO is empathetic about my anxiety and I always feel he is listening to how I feel. Sounds like you had a very bad reaction...very scary! Did you have an EEG done after the seizure to see if it was an ongoing condition and simply made clinical by the meds?

Applecherry
03-07-2014, 10:35 AM
I have been thinking over, and not so happy to start taking them.. That is quite true, I am not someone who lacks passion by any means. I can be in the best mood ever when my anxiety clears up..

I mean, I won't lie and say I couldn't be happier, cause I could, there's a lot of things in my life that I feel are missing.. but, I don't want a personality change, just something that rids of anxiety. :(

I told him about using CBT, he said "yes there is, but the physical part".. in some ways, made me think he doesn't quite understand anxiety fully.. the physical doesn't happen unless the emotional isn't unhappy in the first place. I believe I told my therapist, it was "not the fault of the panic attacks, it is the stress causing them" I know the attacks are mere reactions to the emotional stress I am feeling..

CBT in essence is the most effective attack when it comes to anxiety..

and true as also said, things work differently for different people, but I don't believe I have problems with depression... I have thought at some point some kind of psychiatrist which specializes in this could be of more help.. not that my doctor is bad.. I just don't think his ideas when it comes to anxiety are that realistic if he believes I should be 100 percent all the time.. that's not how life works for fuck sake!

NO one is sunshine everyday, not even him.. Ah well..

:/

Applecherry
03-07-2014, 10:40 AM
I do worry about having my own problems with withdrawals going off these things.. I know if I ever plan to have children I'd have to.. I mean having no Zoloft for 3 days I feel messed me up a bit this week, yesterday was awful, I mean, my head was stuffed up, I was feeling a brain fog, and I just couldn't find any kind of peace and tranquility til I got so tired it was time for bed.. I can't say for sure it was the Zoloft withdrawal for those few days, but something in the way I felt in the past week has been very fucked up.

Applecherry
03-07-2014, 10:44 AM
I was telling my sisters about having no Zoloft they're like "oh god, it's no big deal, it's not that strong a medication anyway".. and my mother too thought I was over-reacting to the worry of not having it.. and generally they are right, and so I eventually stopped thinking of it..then I notice this week, my anxiety has been worse than it has been in quite some time..so I can't help but wonder if it was due to the lack of it..