PDA

View Full Version : Breathing

Olive Yew
03-04-2014, 03:19 PM
So i have this weird thing going on where it feels like the muscles in my chest are tight and like Imm breathing too much yet at the same time it feels like im not breathing enough. (And no i'm not hyperventilating... I dont think.) it's like... Ya know when you're relaxed, you can exhale and sit there for a few seconds and feel comfortable before you need to take a breath again. Well I feel like if i wait hardly at all between each breath it feels like i'll suffocate. So more breaths more often or else suffocation... Does that make any sense at all?
I only get dizzy when my sinuses are stuffed up and i get enormous pressure in my head. I'm not coughing so i dont think it's a chest cold. I just start to get this feeling like "dang your breathing a lot, slow down." And then I'll try to slow my breathing and then it feels like i'm holding my breath.

My theory is that because i've been so inactive, my blood pressure dropped so my heart and lungs are having to work twice as hard and I'm not used to it. Is anyone familiar with this?

jessed03
03-04-2014, 03:21 PM
How often do these kinds of episodes flare up Olive?

Olive Yew
03-04-2014, 03:32 PM
How often do these kinds of episodes flare up Olive?

Pretty much been an all the time thing for the past few days.

mykids12
06-10-2014, 07:24 PM
So i have this weird thing going on where it feels like the muscles in my chest are tight and like Imm breathing too much yet at the same time it feels like im not breathing enough. (And no i'm not hyperventilating... I dont think.) it's like... Ya know when you're relaxed, you can exhale and sit there for a few seconds and feel comfortable before you need to take a breath again. Well I feel like if i wait hardly at all between each breath it feels like i'll suffocate. So more breaths more often or else suffocation... Does that make any sense at all? I only get dizzy when my sinuses are stuffed up and i get enormous pressure in my head. I'm not coughing so i dont think it's a chest cold. I just start to get this feeling like "dang your breathing a lot, slow down." And then I'll try to slow my breathing and then it feels like i'm holding my breath. My theory is that because i've been so inactive, my blood pressure dropped so my heart and lungs are having to work twice as hard and I'm not used to it. Is anyone familiar with this?

Have you figured our how to deal with this? I'm going through it right now. When I exhale it feels like I'm not going to take another breath. I also realize I hold my breath a lot especially when waking. Not sure how to stop it.

Olive Yew
06-10-2014, 08:27 PM
I forced myself to breathe in this pattern:
Inhale 1 2 3 4 exhale 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 wait 1 2 3 4 inhale 1 2 3 4 exhale 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 wait 1 2 3 4 repeat. Your head will spin at first. Probably want to do this when you're chillaxing. And then distract yourself. Dont think about breathing again. Your body will regulate itself eventually.

mykids12
06-10-2014, 08:33 PM
Good advice because when I focus in my breathing or lack thereof, it makes it worse. I took an Ativan and it has helped so that helps me to understand it's most likely my anxiety ba something worse. Thanks though, im going to try that breathing!

Olive Yew
06-10-2014, 10:04 PM
Do it. Believe me it helps. And yeah it's entirely your anxiety. I catch myself doing this when i'm stressed or worked up and I make myself stop with the breathing technique.

Olive Yew
06-11-2014, 10:13 AM
Yes, this is quite similar to the method I used to do when feeling panicky or overly anxious.

It works well. I like it.

SOCAL
06-12-2014, 02:46 PM
Thank you for posting this. I often feel like I can't breath and that I am alone. It's good to see that there are others finding successful techniques to relieve anxiety.