PDA

View Full Version : Somethings changed

raggamuffin
03-02-2014, 08:50 PM
Hi all,

I can't sleep. I know a racing mind and feeling like you're going insane or losing control can occur with anxiety but something feels very wrong at the moment. Usually when I go to sleep I think up a narrative and go with it. Tonight as soon as I close my eyes, images, thoughts and ideas fly in and out. But I can't keep up with any of it. They're coming and going wiothin a second or 2. I wind up having to open my eyes because it's so overwhelming and unnerving. I know that sometimes my mind hops from one idea to the next but this feels totally out of control.

I'm not sure how to slow things down. I tried meditating in bed but I couldn't. Closing my eyes was just allowing my brain to bombard me with all this craziness. I've never felt like this before in my life and I don't want it to linger. I know that fearing new sensations will make them last longer but this feels like i'm losing control and I need things to slow down.

Ed

Curtis D
03-02-2014, 08:54 PM
relax brother it shall pass with time try to focus on what your plans for tomorrow are and dont let the automatic negative thoughts (ants) take over.

Niicole Lynne
03-02-2014, 08:55 PM
Hi all, I can't sleep. I know a racing mind and feeling like you're going insane or losing control can occur with anxiety but something feels very wrong at the moment. Usually when I go to sleep I think up a narrative and go with it. Tonight as soon as I close my eyes, images, thoughts and ideas fly in and out. But I can't keep up with any of it. They're coming and going wiothin a second or 2. I wind up having to open my eyes because it's so overwhelming and unnerving. I know that sometimes my mind hops from one idea to the next but this feels totally out of control. I'm not sure how to slow things down. I tried meditating in bed but I couldn't. Closing my eyes was just allowing my brain to bombard me with all this craziness. I've never felt like this before in my life and I don't want it to linger. I know that fearing new sensations will make them last longer but this feels like i'm losing control and I need things to slow down. Ed

It could simply be that you're not ready for sleep yet
That's what my counsellor said
Get up and do something low key for a few minutes and try to lay back down again

spartymum
03-02-2014, 08:56 PM
It will be okay easier said than done I know I have been laying here for a half hr and my brain hurts from thinking.. We have to think positive happy thoughts . Do u want to talk about your day or what u have to do tomorrow ?

raggamuffin
03-02-2014, 08:57 PM
I was trying hard to focus on one thing when trying to sleep but other thoughts and ideas were literally invading my train of thought and then within moments it was back to just overflowing. Felt like i'm going through hundreds of thoughts in minutes.

Oddly enough now i'm out of bed things feel calmer. Perhaps it's because i'm typing, looking at real things with my eyes and listenign to music...my senses are satisfied. But in bed there was nothing, just darkness, silence and for some reason my mind decided to go into overdrive mode. I'm planning on staying up as late as I can until I'll literally pass out. I just hope it's not too late because i've got an appointment tomorrow.

Ed

Niicole Lynne
03-02-2014, 08:57 PM
My counsellor gave me the 20 minute rule
If ur still awake after 20 mins
Get up do something calm like get a drink... Bathroom etcetera and lay back down
It's important to train our mind that bed equals sleep not thinking or anything else

raggamuffin
03-02-2014, 09:02 PM
I never have issues sleeping though. Perhaps once every 2 months i'll struggle to sleep for an hour or 2 but usually i'm out like a light within 5 minutes. I guess there's always been a worry in the back of my mind that my sleep would one day get affected by anxiety. I know this isn't really proof of it, it's just one day. It's just very unnerving not feeling like you're in control.

Ed

raggamuffin
03-03-2014, 02:39 AM
Managed 4 n half hours. Better than nothing I suppose. I'll have a nap later I think.

Ed

ubisunt
03-03-2014, 03:04 AM
Suppress your fear of your thoughts and if you cant just surpass them as though they are someones else thoughts and not yours try to float past them and you will see they are nothing but thoughts you are the master here and your power is to stay poised and flow with them not resist them.
Thoughts are canevas and your reaction to them is what gives them a life

Salam