PDA

View Full Version : BP!

PR83
03-01-2014, 12:51 PM
Hey all,

I have anxiety about my blood pressure. I'm 31 y/o, and for the longest time it was fine, I didn't even think about it. The last time I had a check up, last year, it was a little higher than normal when they initially checked me. The doctor didn't make a bid deal about it but I asked them to check it again at the end of my appt, sometimes I'm a little nervous going in and I thought it was higher due to that. When they checked it again at the end of my appt it was even higher and I started to freak out a bit. They hooked me up to one of those EKG things and I was really starting to freak it, so BP went up even higher. The doc said he thought my heart was fine but prescribed me some BP meds. Anyways, I figured it was just my anxiety and went on with my normal life, but now I get freaked out about my BP and haven;t been back to the doctor's since. I even went and bought my own BP reader but haven't used it because everytime I put it on my wrist and start it, I freak out and turn it off. I'm determined to go through with it and try to get a normal reading this weekend! it's tough because I get really anxious and I'm worried that will throw off the reading. Any tips out there or something I can do to help me through this? Thanks!

Fourteen14
03-01-2014, 01:01 PM
Hey all, I have anxiety about my blood pressure. I'm 31 y/o, and for the longest time it was fine, I didn't even think about it. The last time I had a check up, last year, it was a little higher than normal when they initially checked me. The doctor didn't make a bid deal about it but I asked them to check it again at the end of my appt, sometimes I'm a little nervous going in and I thought it was higher due to that. When they checked it again at the end of my appt it was even higher and I started to freak out a bit. They hooked me up to one of those EKG things and I was really starting to freak it, so BP went up even higher. The doc said he thought my heart was fine but prescribed me some BP meds. Anyways, I figured it was just my anxiety and went on with my normal life, but now I get freaked out about my BP and haven;t been back to the doctor's since. I even went and bought my own BP reader but haven't used it because everytime I put it on my wrist and start it, I freak out and turn it off. I'm determined to go through with it and try to get a normal reading this weekend! it's tough because I get really anxious and I'm worried that will throw off the reading. Any tips out there or something I can do to help me through this? Thanks!

My honest advice is throw the BP monitor in the bin!

If you want an accurate BP go see your doc/health centre.

I used to get pre emptive anxiety every time I put the arm band on with the home monitor and got 11 different readings on 11 different times.

The minute it starts inflating the minute it will go up.

NixonRulz
03-01-2014, 01:23 PM
I used to do the same thing

I would take my BP at home and I would get anxious. Then I would wait and see and it would be about 150

And I knew my anxiety made it go up so once I saw that it wasn't off the charts, I would take it a few more times

Each time it would go down to finally being around 125-130

Dahila
03-01-2014, 01:54 PM
I used to do the same thing

I would take my BP at home and I would get anxious. Then I would wait and see and it would be about 150

And I knew my anxiety made it go up so once I saw that it wasn't off the charts, I would take it a few more times

Each time it would go down to finally being around 125-130
Sound advice. I use my bp monitor so I know what's going one.... If it is higher than usually lows, you need to think, maybe you had supper and was heavy and salty..Maybe you had stressful day? I do first some calming breaths, sit down for ten minutes to calm down, then I measure it.... You need to measure a few times if you do not have advanced monitor to get the average...

I do not obsess with it, I measure it only when I feel pressure in my ears, and get headache, and from experience I know that in ten times of measuring it, twice I have elevated BP.
If it was not for my measurements and putting it down with heartbeat my GP would kill me ten years ago :))
She pushing AD on people who do not tolerate it:)