PDA

View Full Version : Sudden anxiety attack

bigfish
02-26-2014, 10:02 AM
Hi,

I suffered from continuous anxiety and low self esteem for many years, and with the help of CBT books and lots of hard work managed to get through it, and I've actually felt really good for about six months now.

I went to work today and suddenly had a random anxiety attack. I pretended to my boss that I'd just suddenly vomited (I don't think they really believed me), and came home sick. I fully intend to go back in again tomorrow, I just had to get out of the situation I was in today. Now I feel a) really guilty for pretending I was I'll, esp as I don't think they really believed me and b) fearful that I'm going to have a relapse of persistent anxiety.

Anyone else ever been the same or is it just me?

delboy
02-26-2014, 11:22 AM
I have had them at work recently, but I keep putting myself in the same situation to beat them, if you get into the mind set that you will have an attack in the same place, you will, you somehow have to break the thought of the attack, it's easier said then done but it's the only way....don't let them win.....I still have them everyday, but I just try to carry on..

bigfish
02-26-2014, 11:48 AM
Cheers delboy. I think you're right. Hard work and determination. I guess I just didn't have it today.

delboy
02-26-2014, 11:50 AM
It's just so annoying when they strike, I can be doing something I love or with good mate, no anxiety and bang it's there....wish there was an answer of why

russell sheppard
02-26-2014, 11:55 AM
I had my 2nd panic attack in front of my work colleagues and friends at work 10 years ago. My 1st one was in front of my mates and it destroyed and made me feel ashamed. My mates were understanding and helped but it crushed me. The 2nd was worse. My workplace called an ambulance etc. I had a few days off and then went back and thought everyone would take the piss out of me. I was treated with so much humility and compassion it was unreal. People understand and help more than you think they will. That was 10 years ago and I still work at the same place with a lot of the same people.

kawtrip
02-26-2014, 11:55 AM
I have the same issue!! They just come out of know where! Luckily I own my own business but I still can't leave. I just don't have to try to explain to someone how I feel! I talk to people on the job sites about all the time. Amazing how many of them know people or have family who suffer as well. Always try to be open!! :-)