PDA

View Full Version : Nicotine Withdrawal and Anxiety

Smokewater
02-25-2014, 05:57 AM
Hello, again, folks!

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, but I'm having a bit of a panic problem at the moment and figured I'd turn to the forum for some answers.

I'm an established "occasional smoker", meaning I only smoke with my friends over the course of a few days as I usually get my cigarettes from them. I realize that's a cheapskate thing to do, but I'm not here to argue my being cheap and they don't seem to have a problem with me doing so. Thing is, since I started smoking back in 2009, my addiction has gotten worse and I'm struggling with it even now. At the moment, I've realized that my panic seems to get worse when I haven't smoked in few days. However, it seems to crop up on its own. I won't be thinking about smoking or anything and suddenly I'm having a panic attack.

I'm wondering if there's some sort of connection between nicotine withdrawal and anxiety. Have any of you taken time off smoking cigarettes and suffered from sudden panic attacks? What do you feel when they come on? Are they spurred by thinking about smoking or do they just happen when they feel like happening?

Any insight you guys can give would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

NixonRulz
02-25-2014, 06:01 AM
Hello, again, folks!

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, but I'm having a bit of a panic problem at the moment and figured I'd turn to the forum for some answers.

I'm an established "occasional smoker", meaning I only smoke with my friends over the course of a few days as I usually get my cigarettes from them. I realize that's a cheapskate thing to do, but I'm not here to argue my being cheap and they don't seem to have a problem with me doing so. Thing is, since I started smoking back in 2009, my addiction has gotten worse and I'm struggling with it even now. At the moment, I've realized that my panic seems to get worse when I haven't smoked in few days. However, it seems to crop up on its own. I won't be thinking about smoking or anything and suddenly I'm having a panic attack.

I'm wondering if there's some sort of connection between nicotine withdrawal and anxiety. Have any of you taken time off smoking cigarettes and suffered from sudden panic attacks? What do you feel when they come on? Are they spurred by thinking about smoking or do they just happen when they feel like happening?

Any insight you guys can give would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

There probably is a connection to withdraw and anxiety

withdraw will make you stressed and that can elevate the anxiety level

But anxiety will associate itself with anything you that you want to assign to it

It an equal opportunity pain in the ass

Think something adds to your anxiety?

If it didn't, it does now

Enduronman
02-25-2014, 08:57 AM
I know when I tried quitting tobacco my anxiety went through to roof!!

E-Man...

Fourteen14
02-25-2014, 04:56 PM
Hello, again, folks! I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, but I'm having a bit of a panic problem at the moment and figured I'd turn to the forum for some answers. I'm an established "occasional smoker", meaning I only smoke with my friends over the course of a few days as I usually get my cigarettes from them. I realize that's a cheapskate thing to do, but I'm not here to argue my being cheap and they don't seem to have a problem with me doing so. Thing is, since I started smoking back in 2009, my addiction has gotten worse and I'm struggling with it even now. At the moment, I've realized that my panic seems to get worse when I haven't smoked in few days. However, it seems to crop up on its own. I won't be thinking about smoking or anything and suddenly I'm having a panic attack. I'm wondering if there's some sort of connection between nicotine withdrawal and anxiety. Have any of you taken time off smoking cigarettes and suffered from sudden panic attacks? What do you feel when they come on? Are they spurred by thinking about smoking or do they just happen when they feel like happening? Any insight you guys can give would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

It's possible that the anxiety is being triggered by the drop in dopamine (feel good juice in the brain)

Nicotine takes around 36 hours to leave your system, as the stimulation drops, hence the cravings begin.

There are studies that show an effective treatment of mild depression from NRT (patches). I personally used a form of NRT when I quit tobacco and my anxiety went down.

You could try weaning off steadily using NRT. I am NOT suggesting anyone that doesn't smoke start with patches for depression (thought I needed to make that clear :) )

But as a smoker you could try it and see if you can quit altogether without the anxiety going up. :)

Dahila
02-25-2014, 08:27 PM
It is quiet possible that you associated smoking with calmness....
I was a heavy, actually chain smoker for ....I do not remember, but maybe 35 years or so... as soon as my pack was less that half I got panic attack. I quit 6 years ago being on Champix, and I had not have any withdrawal issues, rather the opposite....sleeping for 12 hours, and every day feeling better :)
You do not smoke all the time, you are occasional smoker, I do not believe you have withdrawal issues, rather you crave the moment when your brain stops turning like crazy when you focus on puffing ciggy :))

I may be wrong :)