PDA

View Full Version : Something to think about...

lizard0921
02-23-2014, 10:28 PM
Has anyone ever wondered why is it that if depression can trigger anxiety, or whatever it was that triggered your anxiety....how come not everyone feels the way we do?! I'm sure everyone is stressed about a job, their kids, relationships, money, etc....I have came across people who stress about a lot, but they don't suffer like us nor ever gotten a panic attack?! I tried to put this in the best way I could so I hope all of you can understand where I'm coming from.

meichmann
02-24-2014, 06:38 AM
In my CBT sessions I found that there are 2 things that are the cause of anxiety and panic attacks:

1)Underlying PTSD from a traumatic experience in the past
2)A genetic fact. It's woven into their dna just like everything else. Children who suffer from panic attacks usually start getting them around the same time their parents (or relative) did.

In my case I got hit with a double whammy. I've had anxiety since I was 10 years old, and never knew it until last september. There was alot of repressed memories that came out and let me tell you it wasn't pretty. But, now that we found what's causing it, we can work on getting a solution.

Until there is a magical solution to get rid of it %100 (I am a firm believer that it never goes away, but it can be minimized with treatment and CBT), we have to plow throught it and not let it run our lives.

NixonRulz
02-24-2014, 08:59 AM
In my CBT sessions I found that there are 2 things that are the cause of anxiety and panic attacks:

1)Underlying PTSD from a traumatic experience in the past
2)A genetic fact. It's woven into their dna just like everything else. Children who suffer from panic attacks usually start getting them around the same time their parents (or relative) did.

In my case I got hit with a double whammy. I've had anxiety since I was 10 years old, and never knew it until last september. There was alot of repressed memories that came out and let me tell you it wasn't pretty. But, now that we found what's causing it, we can work on getting a solution.

Until there is a magical solution to get rid of it %100 (I am a firm believer that it never goes away, but it can be minimized with treatment and CBT), we have to plow throught it and not let it run our lives.

I agree with your comment about it never really going away

I have been "cured" for some years now but anxiety never leaves you. Good or bad

Being cured is essentially not reacting to the thoughts and triggers that used to send you spiraling downward

I don't know what caused my anxiety to start but when I think about it, I was at a young age

I didn't spend anytime looking for the why it started because I realized that it wouldn't change how I was always feeling

That becomes a learned behavior and just becasue you find the cause, it doesn't mean that it just goes away

Some people really want to get to the cause and I get that

For those who do find the cause, I hope it eases the pain

lizard0921
02-24-2014, 12:44 PM
Sounds right!

I guess I never thought about it like that. My parents nor siblings suffer from anxiety. Maybe it was something I went through in the past.

All I know is that it's something I have to try to live with and go on about my life. I'm a mother and a wife and I have people who love me and need me.

We all need some motivation in our lives :)