PDA

View Full Version : Meditation

Goomba
02-23-2014, 04:53 PM
I believe that meditation is a great technique that can be used to get control of, and defeat anxiety. It teaches control of the mind, relaxes the body, and puts one in a state of balance. In addition, it's health benefits and disease fighting ability are becoming more and more accepted in even our medicine heavy western world. I would recommend that everyone explore it, especially If you feel stuck. It's something you can do daily to take control of your anxiety.

The cool thing about meditation is that it's a natural tool that can get you to a state to battle anxiety. Medication can do the same thing, but is actually irrelevant unless you have proven chemical Imbalances, or other diagnosed conditions. Often with meds, an individual can get to a good state, but then lacks the insight to come off the meds and get full control of anxiety. It's similar to taking Tylenol for a headache, feeling good, and then slamming your head against the wall.

Through meditation, you can not only achieve a great state, but you also explore yourself in the process, and learn how to (over time) confront the sources of your anxiety. Food for thought.

Dahila
02-23-2014, 04:56 PM
I believe it too, I am practicing it for years, I had years off the meds cause of meditation. Great tool , the problem is people do not want to try it.

ab123
02-23-2014, 05:03 PM
How do you start getting into meditation?

Goomba
02-23-2014, 05:19 PM
There is a ton of valuable information that can be researched on the internet. I can also provide some guidance. There is no really concrete way of doing it, different techniques work for different people. It's all about getting to a state of stillness, in both the body, and mind, and learning to understand the self.

It's not something that absolutely has to be done a certain way. You figure what works best for you. That being said, there is a bunch of info about stuff you can try, or eventually use to enhance your techniques.

Goomba
02-24-2014, 02:24 AM
Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

jessed03
02-24-2014, 02:29 AM
Meditation is awesome :)

Goomba
02-24-2014, 02:48 AM
Meditation is awesome :)

I agree. Not only did it help me defeat my anxiety, but it has made my life incredibly richer.

leahxox
02-24-2014, 02:49 AM
I've heard from so many people how great it is for helpings anxiety, just not sure where to start :(

Goomba
02-24-2014, 02:54 AM
You just have to do it! You can't mess up with it. Research it some and give it a go, you will what find works best with you. There are techniques to learn along the way, but all you need to start is a will to do it, and the ability to trust yourself enough to confront yourself and stay committed.

ab123
02-24-2014, 07:56 PM
Being able to shut my mind off is the hard part.

Dahila
02-24-2014, 08:26 PM
Being able to shut my mind off is the hard part.
Ab it is a good thread made by Forwells ( I miss him) with some links. If you need the instruction I have a tons of it in form of Pdf file, will send as soon as you ask and give me email address:)) I have a small book 8 minutes meditation which is really teaching you how to start it, step by step....easy, I use it, my daughter loves that, so my son... It is such relieve. I am trying to teach my hubby, he is is exhausted already. So far he loves the linden method...it is helping him. It is just relaxation but after that you can meditate, being relaxed already:)) good
BTW you can meditate using cristals, or stones, or cards, or just simple candle, there is not rule in meditation.....

link to thread http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?25235-meditation-help-share-and-surport-thread&highlight=meditation

Jon Kabat-Zinn said;
In mindfulness, strange as it may sound, we are not trying to fix anything or to solve our problems. Curiously, holding them in awareness moment by moment without judging them sometimes leads over time to their dissolving on their own. You may come to see your situation in a new light that reveals new ways of relating to it creatively out of your own growing stability and clarity of mind, out of your own wisdom, and your caring for what is most important. We are not trying to actively achieve a state of deep relaxation or any other state for that matter while practicing mindfulness. But interestingly, by opening to an awareness of how things actually are in the present moment, we often taste very deep states of relaxation and well-being, :)

lbs
02-24-2014, 09:54 PM
Goomba,
I tried to PM you, but apparently I need 10 posts to PM, and I'm new to this. Everyone says meditation does wonders for anxiety. I would like to learn how, but have no idea where to start. I have a hard time calming my mind for 20 seconds, let alone 5 minutes. Any suggestions?

I just read Dahila's post too. Thanks!

Dahila
02-24-2014, 10:02 PM
click on the blue link and it will open our thread, very informative and based on our expierences. Welcome to the club of lost souls :)) just kidding, welcome

lbs
02-24-2014, 10:09 PM
Thank you! :)

jessed03
02-24-2014, 10:10 PM
Thank you! :)

Hurry up and get your last post so you can PM ;)

lbs
02-24-2014, 10:20 PM
I book marked "Mindfulness in Plain English". Going to start reading to tonight! Thanks again. This is such a comfort, talking to all of you who live with this.

(Just saw this was number 10 :) )

jessed03
02-24-2014, 10:23 PM
I book marked "Mindfulness in Plain English". Going to start reading to tonight! Thanks again. This is such a comfort, talking to all of you who live with this.

(Just saw this was number 10 :) )

Great book :)

Goomba
02-25-2014, 01:11 AM
One thing that both of you said is that you have trouble calming your mind. Don't worry about that! It's ok to have thoughts, or racing thoughts. When you're first starting that is going to happen, and is part of the process. What you want to try not to do is obsess over the thoughts, or chew them in you're head. Let the thoughts come and go, and over time you will learn to control them.

It's not something that is mastered in a day, but it is something that rewards you with how much dedication/work you put into it. Lbs I saw that you said you've reached ten posts. If you still need to pm, feel free.