PDA

View Full Version : How many of you take comfort in God.

BigSlim
11-11-2005, 01:17 AM
The reason why I post this question, is because although some might say they've tried and It's done them no good, it's obvious that they gave up. I'm not a religious person. They classify me as a Christian but my faith is what set's me apart. You must give yourself to God completely. Jesus will heal. You just have to do what he has asked of you and stop being so selfish. Once you realize that your life was given to you as a gift from God and Worship the one that gives you true life. Trust me you will be healed. I'm living testimony. Want a cure. Give your life back to God. Let me know what you think?

shoe
11-11-2005, 07:50 AM
BigSlim, welcome to the forum.

I'm not a religious person myself, but I do recognize, as do many psychologists, that the power of belief can help people heal themselves. Its at least one part of the mystery of why faith-based and new age types of therapies work for some people. The power of belief totally affects how one responds to therapy or even self-healing.

Not to say that there aren't other forces at work that help people heal. I'm just saying - the mind can work miracles within the body on its own. (Of course, a greater being who created man might have given his/her creation such a power)

BigSlim
11-12-2005, 03:28 AM
I agree with what your saying for the most part. Where I differ on what you state is again my faith, which says you will be healed if you have faith. Meaning that you are not healing yourself but giving the glory of that miracle to God. I mean it, once you've succomb to the lord completely, faithfully, truthfully, lovingly and whole heartedly, you will be healed of your sorrows and sickness' In the end (Which is guaranteed) we will all bear witness. I and Billions of others believe that his words are true. So what I'm saying is if people want a real cure and a free one at that. (which is great) that the cure lies within everyone. Just open your heart!!!

brickyard_red
11-12-2005, 11:12 AM
Hi there BigSlim. I understand where you are coming from and I don't deny that we should turn our lives and hearts over to the Lord. But, we also have to see the point that God gave us a brain and He expects us to use it. If we know we need help, we should seek the help that is needed. It doesn't always heal the physical body to turn everything over to the Lord. It heals the soul and spirit, yes, but the physical body we are given sometimes needs help.

We cannot tell a diabetic to go off their insulin and turn their life and heart totally over to the Lord and expect them to just "be healed". I know that there have been cases where this has happened in some people, but it's not that way for everyone. It all depends on the Lord's will and we don't always know what that is.

We also have to look at the side of it that the Lord gave the great minds to men to develop the drugs that some of us need to help us fuction. We should use the brains that God gave us and use the medicine that the men were able to develop because the Lord wanted it that way.

Again, I'm not trying to say what you're saying it totally wrong. I just don't think it is wise to be telling people to go off their medicine and trust wholly in the Lord for a "faith healing". It doesn't always work.

Cath :)

shoe
11-12-2005, 04:08 PM
Cath, very good post. I like your point of view. =)

brickyard_red
11-12-2005, 08:07 PM
:) Thanks

Cath :)

BigSlim
11-13-2005, 07:00 AM
Hi there Cath. Very good post. I don't disagree with you at all. I just want you to be clear that not once did I intend to promote the idea of not taking medication and relying solely on Faith based healing.

I myself am not completely off my meds, and this after five years since the onset of my symptoms. I do trust in my faith though and with that I have been able to sustain an extremely low dosage of meds. I came out of ECT treatment 4 1/2 years ago with literally no side effects. To give glory to God, it felt as though I came out a better person than I was b4 I even started feeling symptoms of OCD and Anxiety. I was in and out of hospitals every week for about a year, with misdiagnosis after misdiagnosis. I looked to God for guidance and prayed that Jesus would find me the help I needed. He answered my prayer almost immediately. The Psychiatrist that correctly diagnosed me asked if I believe in God I told him ofcourse. He advised me that I should take ECT and I became scared. He literally guaranteeed that it would snap me out of what I was going through and emphasized that we would eventually be able to get me off the meds, which he believed I did not need to be on some of them in the first place. He advised me that he was Christian. I trusted him and prayed to God before I made the decision to take the ECT. I got the notion that this was going to be okay, and my fear of the ECT started to fade. I had heard horror stories of this type of treatment. Like I said the fear subsided and after the first treatment it was as though I was already healed. No memory loss, all repetitive and unwanted thoughts gone, my concentration was amazing and all of this after just 1 treatment. The Doctor recommened that I still take the remaining 7. I ended up taking 7 in total. I have not been back to the hospital since except for unrelated issues. I can only praise God.

Like I said I'm still on a small dosage of meds, I think I take them as a security blanket. I don't even know that I do need them anymore. So I'm not promoting not taking meds. What I am promoting is Jesus and his power. I said that if you give your life to God that you would be healed and I still beleive that this is true. If it takes meds and other types of treatments to get over the hump then so be it. Most healing does not occur over night, but with time, trust and faith. You will most certainly have a better life. It says so in the Bible. You are right it is only God's will that a person will be healed completely without the assistance of medicine. So I definately don't promote not taking meds. All I'm saying is If you turn to god when your life seems like it's hit a dead end God has the power to find you a detour.

I'm not as Biblical as I may seem to come off as. I do know that god is dealing with me and working with me, has been since I was 8 or 9 years old. I to need to dedicate my life more to God. I'm still asking what it is God want's for me.

Thanks for your response though!

scatmantom
11-13-2005, 10:05 AM
i was raised catholic...church going and all the trimmings...But i since i moved away from home ive stopped practicing my religion, altho i still have beliefs. I dont think that religion is the solution to my particular case as I have lived with and without religion in my life, and have still suffered from anxiety regardless.

BigSlim
11-13-2005, 01:48 PM
Hi there Scatmantam, I was explaining that I to am not religious. What I mean by that is that I have a personal relationship with the living God, Jesus Christ. Jesus spoke out against organized religion and if and when you read the bible you will see that. I'm probably opening up a whole lot of questions with this one, but I'm open to discussion, otherwise I would not be on here. So what I'm saying is that you develop a close personal relationship with Jesus through prayer and reading the word (bible). I repeat as stated previously I do not promote that people not take their meds when searching for faith based healing. Once you are truly commited to God he will help you deal with that. It is by no means a quick fix solution. Also trying to use Jesus as medicine is great but do not intend to solely use him for this reason. Search for a relationship with Jesus and he will never leave you astray in all that you do. Also heaven awaits....

Bridgie
11-13-2005, 02:00 PM
Big Slim, thanks for you posts. For those who believe in God and Jesus I think it is sage advice. But for those of us who do not have any faith in any kind of God, it is useless. We must look into the power of ourselves and our own minds to try and overcome this.

What may be a simple answer for one, may not be the answer for another with different beliefs.

I am looking into my inner mind and being for answers. I am not relying on some higher power besides me to make me well. But that is just me!

Thanks again for your insight.

:lol: :lol:

BigSlim
11-13-2005, 08:50 PM
Hi Bridgie, I hope that works out for you! If not feel free to e-mail me anytime at [email protected] I'd be happy to discuss things with you...

God Bless You
James