PDA

View Full Version : Brain zaps?

krispi_diane
02-20-2014, 07:28 PM
So I've been off Zoloft for almost 2 weeks even tho I was only on it for about a month. Yesterday I noticed I kept having these weird feelings in my head every so often and it was making me anxious. I'm wondering if what I'm experience are brain zaps from stopping Zoloft. I've seen a lot of people describe them as an electric shock feeling but that's not quite what it feels like. To me it feels like my brain kind of blinks. If that makes sense. Like for a second or two my brain feels like it just stops. I've also seen someone describe them as it feeling like your brain is falling. That's kind of what it feels like more than an electric shock. I'm not sure if what I'm feeling are brain zaps or something else. I just know I'm tired of feeling like this. Any suggestions or has anyone dealt with this before?

spartymum
02-20-2014, 07:32 PM
I had that with lexapro .. I started juicing and excerising to help me . It's not easy but you can do it !

lyssarae27
02-20-2014, 11:09 PM
Many people describe these brain zaps in different ways. I do believe that's what you're describing. I was off of my prozac for a while and I had many of these episodes throughout the days. (With many other symptoms.) Are you planning to get back on the Zoloft?

Stephj526
02-20-2014, 11:36 PM
Sounds like brain zaps. Are you slowly decreasing?

krispi_diane
02-21-2014, 12:04 AM
I just stopped cold turkey and I'm not planning on getting back on medicine.

lyssarae27
02-21-2014, 12:08 AM
You'll probably experience them for some time, but they will go away eventually. I know it's an uncomfortable feeling. I hated it. You'll get it through it though! Good luck!

krispi_diane
02-21-2014, 12:12 AM
I wish they'd stop. I know I'm having intense anxiety the last couple of days. Is it possible to be having withdrawal from the Zoloft after 2 weeks of bot having anything? I was on Zoloft for about a month before quitting cold turkey.

lyssarae27
02-21-2014, 12:22 AM
Withdrawals from SSRI's can start within just a few days. Since you stopped altogether I'm sure that's what is causing these brain zaps. Just be patient. They will go away. :)

krispi_diane
02-21-2014, 12:25 AM
Do they usually cause panic attacks? Because this is killing me. I have lorazepam to calm me down but after having bad reactions to medicines I'm scared to take it anymore.

lyssarae27
02-21-2014, 12:30 AM
I don't know anything about that medication so I can't speak for it. But brain zaps have caused me to have many panic attacks. I felt like I was going crazy or something was wrong with my brain. It caused me a lot of panic. Try not to fret about it. Panicking about them will make them more frequent because that's just how the mind works. Just brush it off if you can. I know it's easier said than done. But they will stop in time.

krispi_diane
02-21-2014, 12:33 AM
That's what I'm going to try to do. I'm trying to distract myself with watching tv because I can't sleep. I fell asleep for about an hour but then woke up with an anxiety attack. One day I'll hopefully get a hold of myself and learn to control it. Thanks for the input and suggestions.

lyssarae27
02-21-2014, 12:35 AM
You can do it! It'll take some time, but you'll be fine. :) Good luck.

HockeyRules
02-21-2014, 12:41 AM
I wish they'd stop. I know I'm having intense anxiety the last couple of days. Is it possible to be having withdrawal from the Zoloft after 2 weeks of bot having anything? I was on Zoloft for about a month before quitting cold turkey.

Hi...... I just recently stopped taking Paxil on a 2 and a half week weaning. It was not fun for sure as Paxil has one of the shortest half life's of any of the ssri s. I will tell you this.....Zolofts half life is much much longer so that might explain why you are only noticing the withdrawal now. Stick it out........ It will get better. I went through a lot of weird sensations among other stuff for a few weeks. It passed and I feel normal now. I have been off the Paxil now for over a month and it was only the last week or two until I felt good. Please just ride it out.....you will be fine in a week or 2. Eat smart and exercise a lot. Those 2 things were paramount in my feeling better on the days I felt like crap. Cardio, aerobics, running, jogging anything.......do it even if you don't feel like it. You will feel better !!!!

Peace and calm

David

HockeyRules
02-21-2014, 12:46 AM
That's what I'm going to try to do. I'm trying to distract myself with watching tv because I can't sleep. I fell asleep for about an hour but then woke up with an anxiety attack. One day I'll hopefully get a hold of myself and learn to control it. Thanks for the input and suggestions.

You want to control it ? Well you need some tools in the toolbox.....breathing properly is a must and go see an cognitive behavioral therapist (pschycologist) mto help teach your brain to calm down and deal with irrational thought processes that put us in these positions. I recommend a book to read as well......Feeling Good by Dr. David Burns.....

Hang in there !,,

krispi_diane
02-21-2014, 12:47 AM
Hi...... I just recently stopped taking Paxil on a 2 and a half week weaning. It was not fun for sure as Paxil has one of the shortest half life's of any of the ssri s. I will tell you this.....Zolofts half life is much much longer so that might explain why you are only noticing the withdrawal now. Stick it out........ It will get better. I went through a lot of weird sensations among other stuff for a few weeks. It passed and I feel normal now. I have been off the Paxil now for over a month and it was only the last week or two until I felt good. Please just ride it out.....you will be fine in a week or 2. Eat smart and exercise a lot. Those 2 things were paramount in my feeling better on the days I felt like crap. Cardio, aerobics, running, jogging anything.......do it even if you don't feel like it. You will feel better !!!! Peace and calm David I don't really know much about half life's of medications but what you said makes sense. Thanks so much for the encouragement that's really what I think I need right now. There's nothing worse than having no one know what you're going through and brushing off how you're feeling. I'm just gonna wait it out and hope it lets up soon. Thanks again you guys.

HockeyRules
02-21-2014, 12:53 AM
I don't really know much about half life's of medications but what you said makes sense. Thanks so much for the encouragement that's really what I think I need right now. There's nothing worse than having no one know what you're going through and brushing off how you're feeling. I'm just gonna wait it out and hope it lets up soon. Thanks again you guys.

It will let up.....Be strong....You will win.....trust yourself to stay the course....

stp4779
02-21-2014, 05:43 AM
Sounds like good ole brain zaps to me. You described them really well - like your brain is blinking! Yes! I get them if I take my Effexor a few hours late.