PDA

View Full Version : Magnesium

Jem
03-17-2008, 01:06 PM
I seem to see this mentioned here and there and wondered if there is any truth that boosting levels of this may be helpful for anxiety and depression?

tomtom666
03-17-2008, 03:25 PM
Depends. Sometimes (well... very often) depression and/or anxiety might be caused by magnesium deficiency alone. In such case, refilling your magnesium level in body cells will cure mental illness completely.

But if your mental problem is caused by something else, magnesium will not help at all, no matter how much you boost level of it.

Anyway, you risk nothing. Check for symptoms and causes at my website, especially if you wake up tired, no matter how long you do sleep, might be clean symptom of deficiency.

Robbed
03-17-2008, 04:26 PM
You seem to hear ALOT about magnesium deficiency and anxiety. And it IS true that a VERY significant percentage of the population is deficient. But whether it could be causing your anxiety is hard to determine. It is also quite possible that a nutritional deficiency may not in itself cause anxiety, but rather make you more susceptible to it. In other words, life stresses that may not otherwise drive you into anxiety disorder may do so if you are deficient in certain nutrients. Of course, you could try supplements. After all, they are cheap and quite harmless. Just don't expect overnight miracles. And don't give up treatments like CBT, since nutritional deficiency (if it exists) is likely only PART of the story.

tomtom666
03-17-2008, 06:09 PM
As I said in other topic, I treated alot of cases of anxiety with magnesium - and "cured" patients completely. But all of them (ones I put on magnesium) had very clear signs of strong magnesium deficiency.

So, it does not matter if deficiency is cause of anxiety or just "trigger", fact remains that sometimes suplementation helps.

If I can suggest - neurosis.aquahobby.eu/magnesium_deficiency.html

ptncud
03-19-2008, 12:50 AM
Hey tomtom666 just wondering what type of magnesium you recommend. I've done some research over the last couple days and i've heard several opinions. The ones that seem the best so far are magnesium taurate and magnesium glycinate. Also one article recommended magnesium chelate. I'm thinking of buying some in the next day or so and was looking for another opinion.
Thanks

tomtom666
03-20-2008, 11:32 AM
It doesn't really matter, there will be only very small difference. An important thing is vitamin B6, it helps alot.

ptncud
03-24-2008, 10:10 PM
Are you referring to a b-6 supplement seperately or would a b-complex work.
Thanks

tomtom666
03-29-2008, 07:03 PM
Easiest and cheapest way is magnesium together with B6, yet for some reasons B complex separately might work better.

Your body take all vitamins B as one, so if you eat alot of B6 alone, it will cause your body to drop ALL vitamins of this group while reducing amount of B6. Not really big deal tho.