PDA

View Full Version : Do you find having a pet to be therapeutic for your anxiety and/or depression?

kcladyz
02-17-2014, 06:56 PM
I have no family, no one to come home to for support. I bought myself two birds. I been thinking of a pet for years. When i was a child my dog was such a great source of emotional support. I already feel a little more positive and optimistic. They are such a joy to watch. It feels good to smile for once. I look forward to the point when they will let me hold them.

Does anyone here have pets and do you find it therapeutic to have something to love and care for?

Amy Smith
02-17-2014, 07:25 PM
I have two dogs, and yes, I enjoy being able to cuddle up next to them. They are a comfort to me.

Enduronman
02-17-2014, 07:34 PM
I have a new puppy (after I swore I'd not have another dog 36 years ago) so I'm still learning..he's only been here for 3 days..yay?....:)

E-Man..

NixonRulz
02-17-2014, 07:42 PM
My dod is fat as hell and lazy. But she is the best dog ever. Her name is Lane

Dahila
02-17-2014, 08:09 PM
I have none but thinking about rescuing one. I lost my dog 7 years ago and the anxiety went up to the roof. Hugging the animal; dog or horse; love them to pieces, always gave me a relieve. Now I just watch the birds, insects, and hummingbirds when they come to my garden, It calms me down, contact with nature does:)

jessed03
02-17-2014, 08:30 PM
Yes for me.

Especially because I have a silly cat, always making me laugh by jumping on the floor, or standing on the door handle or biting my hair :)

Applecherry
02-18-2014, 03:11 AM
Of course, besides being adorably sweet/loyal, they help you get away from yourself, because they need your care. I mean, sometimes I feel an anxious mood come over me, and then my dog will come over and want me to play her silly chase game, so I get up, run around the house with her, and get myself tired that I forget what I was even stressing about.

Dahila
02-18-2014, 07:52 AM
Of course, besides being adorably sweet/loyal, they help you get away from yourself, because they need your care. I mean, sometimes I feel an anxious mood come over me, and then my dog will come over and want me to play her silly chase game, so I get up, run around the house with her, and get myself tired that I forget what I was even stressing about.

Right they are the perfect distraction and they love us unconditionally :)

BlessedMom
02-18-2014, 07:53 AM
ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!! I have several pets and they all fill a different void for me, I have a dog I call my natural "Ativan" LOL

stp4779
02-18-2014, 08:34 AM
For sure, pets are the best! Some of my favorite days are when I can curl up with my cat and a good book and forget my problems. My avatar is my cat, her name is Little Bits. I love the fact that cats are so low maintenance too.

Dahila
02-18-2014, 08:57 AM
I envy you so much, I love cats and always had cats and dogs, then ten years ago I developed contact allergy on cats. I can not touch the cat, it is awful. Nothing can calm you down as cat's purring :))

NixonRulz
02-18-2014, 09:12 AM
My cat just stares at me. Found her in a blizzard under a car when she was a kitten

She has not paid me back at all

lizard0921
02-18-2014, 10:04 AM
My cat just stares at me. Found her in a blizzard under a car when she was a kitten

Lol! Sounds funny.

stp4779
02-18-2014, 12:08 PM
Dahila that stinks that you acquired an allergy to cats! I wonder if a rabbit would be a good substitute?

jessed03
02-18-2014, 12:13 PM
Yeah, how annoying Dahila.

Can you outgrow it?

Dahila
02-18-2014, 12:15 PM
not really I love cats, dogs, horses, otters, not necessary in this order, but bunnies never were my favorite. Hehe I never forget when they ate all my English daises. I thinking about the dog from Humane society (shelter , kind of shelter) and I do not want the pure breed anymore :) just mixed, I am thinking about it.
The problem is I have a difficulties with restraining myself not to touch them. They are beautiful creatures, graceful and fast:)

BlessedMom
02-18-2014, 12:22 PM
not really I love cats, dogs, horses, otters, not necessary in this order, but bunnies never were my favorite. Hehe I never forget when they ate all my English daises. I thinking about the dog from Humane society (shelter , kind of shelter) and I do not want the pure breed anymore :) just mixed, I am thinking about it.
The problem is I have a difficulties with restraining myself not to touch them. They are beautiful creatures, graceful and fast:)

You may or may not know this but I thought I would let you know that poodles have hair, like humans, not fur so they would not trigger your allergies like fur from dogs and cats. Poodles are crazy attached to their humans though, I don't advise them for people who cannot have constant time for them LOL

BlessedMom
02-18-2014, 12:22 PM

lol funny!!!

Dahila
02-18-2014, 12:28 PM
strangely I am not allergic to short haired dogs:))
Poodles are the most intelligent dogs and fast learners, I would say they are as good as Border Collie