PDA

View Full Version : favorite books

jjh333
02-17-2014, 04:47 PM
anyone have any favorite books theyd like to share??

I just finished The Fault in Our Stars because a lot of my students have been reading it before the movie comes out in june... and then just read Gone Girl for a little mystery/thriller

Dahila
02-17-2014, 05:33 PM
I have so many of them but waiting for the third part of Discovery of the witches, July 15:))

NeverToo...Fear
02-17-2014, 05:54 PM
I'm currently reading the Southern Vampires Mysteries by Charlaine Harris.. Got 13 to go through; book 3 right now, but so far I am loving it! :)

Amy Smith
02-17-2014, 06:52 PM
I love all Mitch Albom books. They are very good.

Dahila
02-18-2014, 08:25 AM
What about Dan Brown Inferno was a good book

Enduronman
02-18-2014, 11:31 AM
I can't read books..add adhd...WAAAAH WAAAAHHH!!! :)

Dahila
02-18-2014, 12:08 PM
eman how are you doing with a very long posts? Sometimes I need a long time to read it, what about you?

Enduronman
02-18-2014, 12:53 PM
I get reaaalllll fidgety and have to come back to it four or five times before I can process it all...then try to make a plan or choose to ignore it because of something I'd sensed in the words...it's crazy sometimes!!!

E-Man..:)

petrified
02-18-2014, 01:09 PM
I have so many favourite books, but I love pam jenoffs books at the minute she's a grey writer and the books always manage to help me escape for a little while

jjh333
02-18-2014, 02:20 PM
My daughter is mad for John Greene. She has everything he's written and subscribes to his vlog brothers you tube channel etc!

I'm student teaching high school english right now so I try to read all the books the kids love! John Green has been huge lately.. I bet she's excited for the fault in our stars movie!!

jjh333
02-18-2014, 02:21 PM
I'll have to try some that people said that I've never read!
I think I'm going to try the Divergent series before the movies start coming out since my students are obsessed

Kyle Morgan
02-18-2014, 02:22 PM
I love reading Autobiographies, particularly on favourite Musicians. I enjoyed reading the Kurt Cobain one, I also enjoyed reading all the Harry Potter books :)

Angie 91
02-18-2014, 03:38 PM
I loved "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" it is a science fiction created by Douglas Adams.
I also enjoy comics and many many other books..
My arpartment is filled with books, forgotten teamugs and long-lost pencils....

stp4779
02-18-2014, 03:39 PM
I love reading Autobiographies, particularly on favourite Musicians. I enjoyed reading the Kurt Cobain one, I also enjoyed reading all the Harry Potter books :)

Kyle, my husband's the same way – he reads any musician's biography he can get his hands on! He just finished Morrissey's auto.

stp4779
02-18-2014, 03:41 PM
I'm getting re-acquainted with books after being on a hiatus. Right now I'm working my way through Game of Thrones. I'm usually more into non-fiction though. I like learning about ancient Egyptians and history type stuff. I also love anything Ayn Rand. Nerd!!!

GeneAllen
02-19-2014, 09:14 AM
I guess audio books that are free from the library are my favorite. I do read paper at times but when I'm easily distracted and have a difficult time following type on paper I use audio

books. One of my all time favorites is "The Power of Now" Eckhart Toole, As well as "The Untethered Soul" Michael Singer. I enjoy a lot of how to videos as well. My future plans are

to read "Steve Jobs". Ayn Rand is good stuff, and highly revealing. Law is a hobby so I inherited a law library and use this as a tool to understanding, also Blacks Law dictionary 6th

edition, which congress reads, and uses to enact laws. Anything pertaining to the common law, and Thomas Jefferson. I have read lots of the internal revenue codes US Title 26, as well

as Title five where it gets it's teeth. Discovering the difference between positive law and negative law within the US codes. I now have learned how to adjudicate within the courtroom

and have helped many to find their way through to win cases, they had initiated as it relates to cease and desist, probably cause, Notice of demands, as well as deeds of lands, and

honor within the courts. Sadly in America the "true" law has not been taught, and I think purposely obfuscated to keep people thinking justice is not attainable, when indeed it is in most

cases. I used to truly think it was "just Us" for the courts and lawyers, but learned how the answers are all there once we peer behind the curtain of cognitive dissonance, and learn.

People have more power than attorneys, sadly many don 't know how or why. People can direct the courts honorably and win. if not in the initial proceeding, then always on appeal.

Knowing the law is for law keepers, You definitely need a attorney if guilty, but as long as you are not caught in the fiction of law, you can stay free of this expensive plight.

I read a book of the bible one time and noticed a key verse in Hosea, It said "my people perish for lack of knowledge".

America BC is a good book. Anything to being relating to survival in the event of a disaster, war, etc.

I also enjoy Byron Katie, she's a true cognitive worker, "The Work.com", a lady who went from a depraved mind, agoraphobic, anxious, depressed, addictions, to asking herself one simple

question... "Is it true". This led her to her discovery that her pain and suffering came from what she was believing and not anything else. Awesome woman!! Peace

Dahila
02-19-2014, 11:25 AM
"The Power of Now" Eckhart Toole, so do I:)
you post about law is so true, My family and I have a lot of dealings with law and it is obscured, you need the lawyer who takes 35 % of everything and on top of that GST in Canada 8 % the client must pay it. We will not win with the insurance company it is impossible....
I actually started to enjoy talking books or Audio books, Listening them in bed is awesome. It relaxes me and I am in process of breaking the habit ; reading books in bed. I need my body to know that bed is for sleep. I hope I will win.
Thank for suggestion Gene

I am starting to read "The Ocean at The End of The Lane" by Neil Gaiman and it is good, I just started , but it is good:)

jjh333
02-19-2014, 07:09 PM
She certainly is Jillian. She got the train across Ireland when he came on his book tour and got her books signed by him.

No surprise she loved the divergent series too.

She has a gift for English and writing and has applied to colleges for English this September.

that's awesome! keep in touch with how that process is going

jjh333
02-19-2014, 07:11 PM
Today I finished Every Day by David Levithan which had a really different plot and was good! It was basically about a nongendered soul who wakes up as a new person every day, which has always gone well until A finally makes a connection with someone that A wants to make last (obviously this proves to be difficult as A wakes up as someone new every day).

jjh333
02-20-2014, 07:20 PM
Here's a pic of just two of her bookshelves! As an English teacher this is likely to please you!

oh my gosh how awesome! she's like me... I still love to have physical books not a nook/online books

jjh333
02-21-2014, 05:37 PM
that makes me really happy! Here is a think I saw today and thought she might like.
The best quotes from John Green books:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/ariellecalderon/john-green-quotes

beefkake31
03-08-2014, 06:53 AM
INVISIBLE MAN
by Ralph Ellison

beefkake31
03-08-2014, 06:53 AM
ANIMAL FARM
by George Orwell

beefkake31
03-08-2014, 06:54 AM
THE SUN ALSO RISES
by Ernest Hemingway

beefkake31
03-08-2014, 06:54 AM
A ROOM WITH A VIEW
by E.M. Forster

beefkake31
03-08-2014, 06:55 AM
ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO’S NEST
by Ken Kesey

beefkake31
03-08-2014, 06:55 AM
THE GINGER MAN
by J.P. Donleavy

NixonRulz
03-08-2014, 07:10 AM
Playboy

By Hugh Hefner

needtogetwell
03-08-2014, 07:15 AM
Playboy By Hugh Hefner

Figures!!!!
You just read the articles right??? Lol!!!!

kateb
03-09-2014, 06:07 AM
I love Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier (the movie is great too, but the book is amazing - similarly the original novel of The Road is great too) and The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon - anything with a really good narrative. My favourite novel ever is Jane Eyre. Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks is also amazing. When I was younger my favourite books were by Philip Pullman. Oh and for just outright uplifting silliness, any Terry Pratchett!

Oh and lastly, if anybody prefers books that don't even need any words or really indepth attention (Eman?!) then I massively recommend 'The Arrival' by Shaun Tan. The most amazing book which is all just beautiful images that tell a story. It sounds weird or even childish, but there is nothing childish or simple about it. My mum has never read a graphic novel or anything like that, but she started looking through this book and after about ten pages, she started crying because it was so emotional. GIVE IT A GO PEOPLE! :)

jjh333
03-09-2014, 12:11 PM
that sounds really interesting! I'm always looking for new ways to get students to enjoy literature, this would be a cool different type to show them.

I just finished This is How You Lose Her and The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Juniot Diaz