PDA

View Full Version : Generalized Anxiety Disorder - physical symptoms

Alala
02-16-2014, 06:31 AM
Hello

I guess I have finally broken and decided to post a thread. The truth is, I am a very open person, but anxiety is one of the things that I keep very guarded in my life and never willing to share it (not even with my therapist until recently.) Might be the fear of facing what I actually feel. Anyway,

I have struggled with anxiety for years, fought many successful battles and came out victorious. I thought that was it, I had panic under control and was floating through life as I should. Except, something was very wrong and I didn't know what. I started to get worrying physical symptoms - I was very dizzy/lightheaded constantly, I was getting a lot of headaches. And I was feeling generally unwell most of the time. I ploughed through nevertheless, I had my heart checked, my brain and everything seemed fine. Until I realised the amount of stress that I was actually living under and thought it must be chronic stress. But then the feelings intensified and became more and more worrying. I started to withdraw and feel more and more emotional. On the last day of my therapy, I finally spoke out and told my therapist about everything I was feeling - and she told me I had generalised anxiety disorder (I never had a diagnosis but I trust my therapist and a lot of it started to make sense). I very slowly began to notice the amount of worries that I have been living with and the amount of uncontrollable thoughts that were making my body live in a constant flight. I always thought these thoughts to be normal and took them as automatic, normal responses to all the triggers around me. It never for a moment felt like a worry, but it was worry all the time.

I have started on a brand new therapy (something that came out very recently) and I have been discovering so much about the anxiety. But so far, I haven't felt much better yet (these are very early days). But lately, I started to feel so much more overwhelmed and a bit hopeless. Like never before. I think I am one of the most determined and persistent people in this world, but for whatever reason I just feel deflated and very down. For the first time, it's difficult to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Though I strongly believe this will too pass, I got through so much and I will get through this too. But I feel like it would be incredibly helpful to have the reassurance of other people suffering from GAD, knowing their experiences, their stories. Although I realise this is unhelpful behaviour - seeking reassurance, but because I live with a lot of doubt as to my GAD's physical symptoms (I am hypervigilant and hypochondriac) I wish to know how other people feel with the physical symptoms of GAD. I feel that maybe I am mental - I have a huge fear of being mentally ill, especially bipolar. And everything I feel and everything I can't explain only feeds in.

So, if you are willing to share, I am willing to listen. Though I know how hard it is to explain things in writing. And I know how difficult it is to understand anxiety unless you live it.

Thank you

em1
02-16-2014, 06:50 AM
Hello there and welcome to
The forum :) I'm Emma
It's very scary having panic attacks and GAD
I to get the dizzy spells they are not nice at all
I'm 38 and I've had panic attacks on and off since I was 17,I like you am a fighter and will not give up and ride with the waves
This is gr8 place to start and there are some amazing people on here,at you just in therapy or do you take any meds to help you?

Alala
02-16-2014, 07:22 AM
Hi Emma,

Thanks for the post. No, I would never take medication, therapy alone and a lot of determination. I just seem to have worse and better days but I know I will get off the rollercoaster one day completely.

em1
02-16-2014, 08:17 AM
Hi Emma, Thanks for the post. No, I would never take medication, therapy alone and a lot of determination. I just seem to have worse and better days but I know I will get off the rollercoaster one day completely.

I've only been on setraline 50mg for
Ten months myself,I was like you to buy I just need them for a while to get me
Out of the funk I'm in at the moment and I'm feeling fab :)

JoeCool
02-16-2014, 08:20 AM
Welcome Alala. You'll find a lot of friendly people here who share in this affliction. I too have suffered for a great many years. There are bad days, good days, great days, and everything in between. I think that you've taken a great step in seeking counseling to talk about this. This forum also serves as a pressure release valve to write about what you are feeling. I know all to well the toll of hyper vigilance and hypochondria. If it's not one thing it's another and thus the constant worry. The relation to OCD is a close one...it's why the obsession. The best thing I have found is to find a coping mechanism that will allow you to refocus your thoughts and this relax your mind as best you can. You are definitely not alone in this...