PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety ~ a positive outcome

missymiss
03-10-2008, 04:18 AM
Hello All

I used to suffer from acute anxiety. After a lot of trial and error I have found some ways to make a real difference, and thought I would share it in case it would help someone else.

I am 32 yrs old and started to get panic attacks while on holiday in Thailand five years ago. My view, is that it depends on how bad that experience is for a person, if its really really bad as it was for me, making big changes is a small ask.

I gave up smoking straight away and caffine. I reduced my alcohol.
I started swiming regulary. All this reduced my anxiety to the point that I only ever got it when I had a drink, yet I only needed one or two and it was back !, or had a stressful event...(ie) flying. which is bonkers as I used to be an air stewardess.

And that was how I continued up until about a year ago. I always felt as though I was "managing" my anxiety. I had three months of CBT, which while reasuring, didnt actually reduce the attacks. It made me feel less weird about having them.

The one thing that also didn't sit well for me, was how my body had changed from this first attack. There was a distant line in the sand of before and after, in the way in which my body processed alcohol.
Completely different. And it wasnt a psycological response...it was chemical.

I asked many doctors about this, without an explaination. I was offered anti anxiety pills, beta blockers etc... yet after reaading how there was a small chance that the symtoms could be made worse in the first few weeks, I resisted. It also felt for me, that it was another step away from me controling my own feelings and sensations. Which anxiety is really...

Then a year ago, a friend of mine who is a nurticianist, suggested I take magnesuim. Around this time I also started taking high grade fish oil.
I got this from mind 1st (google it !).The magnesium is from the nutri centre.

It seems that the combination of these two daily tablets, swiming regulary and taking additional milk thistle before I drink has done the trick. I even have a banana and a soluable magnesuim tablet before an eveing of drinks. Now I can drink normally with friends, and no anxiety !

I also sleep deeper, and genrally feel much more emotionally strong and together.

I feel that I must have been deficient in these two things. I would definately suggest for someone else to try this. Set a target of three months, magnesuim, fish oil and swiming. See what happens. There is also additional evidence, that this kind of excercise can heal the brain. (see healing without freud or prozac..a book)

To take the pressure off, I swim for 30 minutes most days. I dont count laps. Sometimes I swim non stop, sometimes I lark about. The point is to switch off my brain, to regulate my heart, to rid tension and to release endorphines for thirty minutes. I cannot descirbe how good I feel 95% of the time after my swim. It sets you up for the day and I feel fantastic.

Also in my experience, anxiety ruled me. It took control. By doing the above, I made a choice to take control back. I was scared of the dark, of driving, of the supermarket...I had weird thoughts racing through my brain, my whole body would shake, the full monty. It was really really bad. I called nhs direct several times...had valium...felt insane..truly insane...

Because of that, I wanted to share this with other people. Had someone said to me I may be deficent in magnesium, my recovery could have much been quicker. The hale clinic in london offers tests for nutient and hormone imbalances.

I hope this helps someone. Plse feel free to mail me.

Wishing everyone who suffers, all the best.

Helen

FrankieLDN87
03-10-2008, 09:31 AM
Hi Helen, Im real gald u commented on the use of alcohol as this is something that my anxiety is truely based upon...

Whenever I am trying to drink my first and second pint of the night I get terrible anxiety, I feel faint, dizzy dispondent and generally terrible sweats and anxiety...

I have noticed that If i spread out my drinking this is easier...But days after I have had a good session with the drinking...instead of being hungover I am teribly anxious to the point I want to cry...So i did try to stop drinking all together but it is ruining my social life...I also smoke...but like you I gave up caffiene with dramatic results..

Can you relate to this?

Robbed
03-10-2008, 09:17 PM
I'm just curious. How was your anxiety going before trying the fish oil and magnesium? In other words, were things already getting better before that? I guess I'm just REALLY curious as to whether these things REALLY helped, or whether your anxiety just 'ran its course', and the fact that its end occurred at the same time you tried these supplements is coincidence.

missymiss
03-12-2008, 04:23 AM
Hi

Prior to taking the suppliments for a period of time I "managed" anxiety.
Its was always there. I felt brittle, now I feel solid.

For me the testiment to whether they worked or not was two years of a normal life, where anxiety perhaps may have run its course...
Yet very time I had alcohol, no matter how relaxed, I would get anxiety.

That in my experience, was a chemical response, which is now affected by magnesium and fish oil. I do ever get anxiety when I drink if I follow the rules

Eat well before hand
A banana before hand
Water and a magnesuim tablet before hand
Milk thistle before and after
and lots of water and another banana the next day
topped off with a swim...

It works !

When I dont do this, I feel trixey, shifty and nervous....

I am having a stressful time setting up a business, and working hard...
I simply would not feel this way without the magnesuim. I was deficient.

Hope this helps x

ptncud
03-15-2008, 09:39 PM
Hey missymiss, I have been looking for more info on how to drink without the terrible anxiety the following day or two. Although my anxiety doesn't really bother me anymore after a night of even light drinking the anxiety can overpower me again. I do take alot of vitamins but will have to try your regimen the next time I drink. I'm wondering though how you found out you were defficient in magnesium: trial and error or blood tests? Also do you know what the milk thistle is supposed to do?
Thanks

missymiss
03-18-2008, 05:28 AM
Hi

I have a friend who is studying to be a natrupath.

She suggested it. It worked in such strong way. i new it was right for me.

Thanks

H