PDA

View Full Version : a step in the right direction

vonnhelsing
02-10-2014, 10:42 AM
Ive booked my flight to berlin today. Flights on may 2nd. It will be my first vacation in 3 years. My first time leaving the country in 3 years.

I hope the anticipatory anxiety doesnt make me do something stupid like cancel my trip. Im terrified of getting on a plane.

But it felt good to book it. I had been scared to do it til now.

I know its still 2 months away but Any advice on how to survive that 7 hour flight without having multiple panic attacks and ruining this vacation for me and my friends???

Enduronman
02-10-2014, 11:05 AM
YAY!!!
You'll be in a better place in your mind in this 2 months Vonn....
Plus, i'm sure you'll have some medications to help sedate you abit while you're on the plane too..
Proud of you!!!

E-Man....:)

NixonRulz
02-10-2014, 11:07 AM
Ive booked my flight to berlin today. Flights on may 2nd. It will be my first vacation in 3 years. My first time leaving the country in 3 years.

I hope the anticipatory anxiety doesnt make me do something stupid like cancel my trip. Im terrified of getting on a plane.

But it felt good to book it. I had been scared to do it til now.

I know its still 2 months away but Any advice on how to survive that 7 hour flight without having multiple panic attacks and ruining this vacation for me and my friends???

First off, If you have a panic attack on the plane, no big deal.

You've been there before just a different venue to have one

On the 4 lines you wrote in your thread, you can see the amount of pressure you feel under already

Hope is not a strategy

No matter where you are, when you feel the anxiety building, just stop fighting it becasue you can't win that war.

It will lead to a panic attack

If you let the thoughts just come and look at them in your mind and then let them slip away, panic doesn't happen

Also, if you are breathing normal and you tighten, then relax your muscles, it won't happen then either

You can't be relaxed and stressed at the same time

Go have a blast on your vacation and let what comes, come

No pressure. You've been really anxious and calmed down before

Just do the same thing there

manz82
02-11-2014, 12:24 PM
First off, If you have a panic attack on the plane, no big deal. You've been there before just a different venue to have one On the 4 lines you wrote in your thread, you can see the amount of pressure you feel under already Hope is not a strategy No matter where you are, when you feel the anxiety building, just stop fighting it becasue you can't win that war. It will lead to a panic attack If you let the thoughts just come and look at them in your mind and then let them slip away, panic doesn't happen Also, if you are breathing normal and you tighten, then relax your muscles, it won't happen then either You can't be relaxed and stressed at the same time Go have a blast on your vacation and let what comes, come No pressure. You've been really anxious and calmed down before Just do the same thing there
^^^^^^^^
Amazing advice. I'm not ready for the plane yet, but I'm going to use this advice when it travel to my mothers caravan this summer, as I have to go on the motorway and that's a major trigger for me. Thanks Nixon

trinidiva
02-11-2014, 12:30 PM
I have a huge fear of flying. I usually will take half a xanax for the takeoff and usually I find that im fine without meds on the way back home. Enjoy your vacation...and the flight will be fine. I usually take my headphones and some reading material to help to keep me distracted. You can do it!!!!!!

Dynhamik
02-11-2014, 07:00 PM
I'm not sure if you listen to Trance, but I recommend playing some OceanLab(Sirens of the Sea is my favorite track) or ATB. The music is very relaxing. Let it play, lay back and try to sleep. Also, if you can reserve an aisle seat near the restroom if you feel you need to escape.(Not sure if you do that. I do.) But trust me when I say this, in the plane, you are in one of the safest places you can be. The pilots have 10s of thousands of hours of experience.

GeneAllen
02-11-2014, 07:04 PM
First off, If you have a panic attack on the plane, no big deal.

You've been there before just a different venue to have one

On the 4 lines you wrote in your thread, you can see the amount of pressure you feel under already

Hope is not a strategy

No matter where you are, when you feel the anxiety building, just stop fighting it becasue you can't win that war.

It will lead to a panic attack

If you let the thoughts just come and look at them in your mind and then let them slip away, panic doesn't happen

Also, if you are breathing normal and you tighten, then relax your muscles, it won't happen then either

You can't be relaxed and stressed at the same time

Go have a blast on your vacation and let what comes, come

No pressure. You've been really anxious and calmed down before

Just do the same thing there

What Nixon said. Rock it! Have fun.
Peace