PDA

View Full Version : Should I tell my family about the anxiety?

AliasEQ
02-09-2014, 05:07 PM
Hi guys. I'm spamming posts here. Sorry if I'm bothering anyone, but I don't want to google anything and you really have great answers always.

So, I've been having my anxiety for 2-3 months now and nobody knows about it. Not my parents, friends, cousines -nobody. Now, I have a really dramatic family. They overreact to everything. They're not doing this in purpose of course. I'm scared that if I tell them, they might overreact and they'll get all paranoid and make me more paranoid and anxious and everything just becomes a "family-panic-attack". Lol. My mom has anxiety and I don't want to scare her. She always talks about it and how bad it is. Imagine if she hears that I have it. It'll be a much more focus on my anxiety and I don't want that really. It'll only make me more anxious.

Should I tell them or should I not tell them? If I do tell anyone about my anxiety, the first person will be my girlfriend. She'd handle it well. I think...

NixonRulz
02-09-2014, 05:11 PM
You should tell someone and the family is importatnt

Not sure how old you are but are you living at home?

if you mom has it as well, just tell her in passing that you understand how SHE feels becasue you occassionally feel the same thing

That will change the direction of the conversation and hopefully will bring you closer instead of a family panic attack

Support from wherever you can is really importatnt

lizard0921
02-09-2014, 05:22 PM
You should definitely tell her. There's nothing better than family support when you're not feeling well and at least you know there's people who care about you :)

GeneAllen
02-09-2014, 09:00 PM
If you trust them to be confident and not hound you tell them, if not or you think it would make you worse then NO. Peace

j brown
02-09-2014, 09:07 PM
I think I might have to eventually the doctor tried to proscribe me some before I said no. I had this for about 6 months .