PDA

View Full Version : Helping my girlfriend.

Skier
02-09-2014, 10:44 AM
My girlfriend suffers from anxiety which also leads to depression. She told me about it when we first got together, she was also on medication at the time for her anxiety but she came off it after our first year together as she said she no longer needed it. The last 2 years since then I haven't noticed it much at all, she always got a little down over winter but always seemed very positive. This year has been different though due to the cold winter and money troubles has made it extra difficult. She has become withdrawn and prefers to spend as much time as possible asleep.

I want to be there to help her but feel kind of lost as I don't really know what to do she says me just being there for her is enough but I still feel like I should be doing more. Any advice?

Enduronman
02-09-2014, 12:05 PM
Hmmm...

Yes, it's hard to just stand back and let this happen..
I would get her up, and get her out of there..
I would also look into finding a therapist too before she becomes toooooo farrrr withdrawn because it'll be that much tougher to pull her out then..
"Create" something positive for her, dinner, movie, friends, a date, a walk, a ride,...anything.

E-Man...:)

JoeCool
02-09-2014, 02:56 PM
Yes, find that one thing that gives her some motivation. I agree that it's important to intercede now because depression really is a spiral that goes nowhere but down. Remember to not take all of her control away..hopefully you can allow her to make the choice among options provided. Does she exercise? Maybe that's something you can start with together...it's important to get her "chemicals" moving!

jjh333
02-09-2014, 03:35 PM
as someone who has anxiety/depression symptoms on and off again I like my significant others to be there for me when I need it, but sometimes when it starts spiraling down it's hard to ask for help and support. Make sure she knows how much you are there for her and ask what steps you could help her with. This does need to be part of her decision, but you can help lead her towards starting recovery