PDA

View Full Version : PPI stomach meds questions

Blessed
02-08-2014, 05:25 PM
I wonder just how many of us our own prescription stomach meds for acid reflux Gerd indigestion heartburn etc. etc. etc? I have been on some sort of stomach Med since my anxiety began in 2011. In October of last year I had an upper endoscopy done due to having stomach pain and issues as well as the lump in my throat sensation and my doctor put me on protonix one pill twice a day. He then cut my prescription down to one pill a day it worked like a charm. Then like with a snap of my fingers the lump in the throat sensation has come back with a vengeance so he has now put me back on two pills a day. My concern is the side effects these medicines cause due to wiping out all of the acid in your stomach. It causes vitamin D deficiency which I had it also causes magnesium levels to be low which can cause heart palpitations which I have but I don't know for certain if they are linked. I wonder how long is considered safe to be on a medication like this? Has anyone else had these experiences while taking a stomach medicine such as a PPI? I've tried to quit these stomach medicines but when I do it's like I'm blowing lava out of my mouth the heartburn is absolutely horrendous. If anyone has had personal experience with this or has any suggestions that I can try I would greatly appreciate your help on this thank you. Again reading online about all this stuff can really get your anxiety going so I'm really trying to stay calm and focused and think about something else until I can contact my doctor to see what he recommends I do.

Enduronman
02-08-2014, 05:39 PM
Yes and it also depletes the body of....vit B12 too!
Switch it up to prilosec (omeprazole) for a month and see how that works!!!....:)

E-Man...

Blessed
02-08-2014, 06:41 PM
Yes and it also depletes the body of....vit B12 too!
Switch it up to prilosec (omeprazole) for a month and see how that works!!!....:)

E-Man...

This may have posted twice sorry. I was on prilosec twice a day before the doc switched me to protonix. Do you think I have done any damage to my health or stomach being on ppi meds for three years? Do you think the meds cause cause low magnesium levels to the point of causing my heart palps or unrelated? How would I know for sure?

Enduronman
02-08-2014, 06:48 PM
Yes,..the meds can cause lowered magnesium levels, which is why they make one with magnesium in it. Also, you could take supplemental magnesium as well. Yes, low magnesium levels can cause heart palps, yes it can be related to low magnesium intake from fresh foods, yes it can be directly related to the use of a PPI, NO you have not done permanent damage...this is an easssssyyyyyy fix. The only way to know if you had low magnesium is to have it checked I suppose but I'm not real sure that the body "stores" magnesium as it will utilize what it needs and then pass the rest out...:)

I'm going to read up on this now too....

E-Man...

backdoc
02-08-2014, 06:50 PM
watch out for the PPIs, went on nexium in sept, put me into A FIB , 190bpm, had to be Cardioverted .....a good time indeed, my wife read that cabbage juice heals ulcers,gerd,heartburn etc,,in a week i had no GI issues....the taste is nasty but it worked! PS; as EMAN said it blows out your B12 and MAGNESIUM which was my experience......still dealing with the collateral damage

Enduronman
02-08-2014, 06:53 PM
Holy shit^^^^....dude!....Is this common with nexium??? Cabbage juice?... hmmmm....I have cabbage! :)

Hope you get this straightened out bro...

E-Man..

Enduronman
02-08-2014, 07:00 PM
Yes,..I just read up on the nexium and it has some pretty serious side effects bruh. I had no idea. I rarely hear of that medication and that may be why. They do have commercials here on tv though but I had always been told that the omprazole was much milder as far as side effects profile...hmmm..

Blessed
02-08-2014, 07:00 PM
watch out for the PPIs, went on nexium in sept, put me into A FIB , 190bpm, had to be Cardioverted .....a good time indeed, my wife read that cabbage juice heals ulcers,gerd,heartburn etc,,in a week i had no GI issues....the taste is nasty but it worked! PS; as EMAN said it blows out your B12 and MAGNESIUM which was my experience......still dealing with the collateral damage how long did you take it he nexium? How did they determine that was the cause? That's scary as I have been on nexium as well. I hope you get it all straightened out :)

backdoc
02-08-2014, 07:28 PM
was on it for 3 weeks, i think its the #2 drug on the market next to Lipitor , A Billion Dollar Baby........it threw off my thyroid as well....another story, just now starting to get my BP and Anxiety under control, still have Palpitations...never had a single one prior to Nexium Yeah the cabbage juice was a lifesaver , its amazing how many simple/natural measures there are instead of resorting to Toxic meds....

GeneAllen
02-08-2014, 07:46 PM
I wonder just how many of us our own prescription stomach meds for acid reflux Gerd indigestion heartburn etc. etc. etc? I have been on some sort of stomach Med since my anxiety began in 2011. In October of last year I had an upper endoscopy done due to having stomach pain and issues as well as the lump in my throat sensation and my doctor put me on protonix one pill twice a day. He then cut my prescription down to one pill a day it worked like a charm. Then like with a snap of my fingers the lump in the throat sensation has come back with a vengeance so he has now put me back on two pills a day. My concern is the side effects these medicines cause due to wiping out all of the acid in your stomach. It causes vitamin D deficiency which I had it also causes magnesium levels to be low which can cause heart palpitations which I have but I don't know for certain if they are linked. I wonder how long is considered safe to be on a medication like this? Has anyone else had these experiences while taking a stomach medicine such as a PPI? I've tried to quit these stomach medicines but when I do it's like I'm blowing lava out of my mouth the heartburn is absolutely horrendous. If anyone has had personal experience with this or has any suggestions that I can try I would greatly appreciate your help on this thank you. Again reading online about all this stuff can really get your anxiety going so I'm really trying to stay calm and focused and think about something else until I can contact my doctor to see what he recommends I do.

Bad Medicine, only a very temporary fix. Diatomaceous earth (food grade) Awesome. Also out in your yard, lambs quarter. That stopped mine in it's tracks after years of dealing with it. Peace