PDA

View Full Version : How to tell if someone's faking?

ThousandMiles
02-06-2014, 10:03 PM
Hi everyone ^_^

I'm just wondering if anybody's had an experience with someone who is faking an anxiety disorder - either for attention, to be "cute"/"trendy", for special treatment, or because they've convinced themselves they have one when they really don't?
If so, how can you tell if a person who says they have it really doesn't?

I know somebody who constantly *brags* about her anxiety, talking about it (and any other "problems" that she has) at any opportunity.
She gets all sorts of special treatment at school but nobody has ever seen her stressed unless she doesn't get something she wants. She's extremely outgoing and loud, to the extent that people get quite annoyed at her, and the only time she's apparently gotten a panic attack was when she didn't want to do something on a school excursion because it was boring, and she basically just kept saying "Oh my god, I'm having a panic attack! Guys, help me!" and wanted everyone to fuss over her.

Now, maybe some people just cope with their anxiety differently, but to me it really doesn't seem like she genuinely has it. I'm not secretive about my anxiety, but I don't tell the world about it. I only tell people for support, or if I think it will help them understand my behaviour better. I would never *brag* about it. It's the same with my other friends who have anxiety, only they are more secretive than I am and were scared to tell me.

So, does it sound to you like she is faking it? Is there anything I should do to get through to her if she IS faking it? And if she isn't, should I try and support her and help her overcome it in a way that is better for her than the way she acts??

fortizboriqua
02-06-2014, 10:24 PM
It's hard to tell because there is no clear cut thing that tells you a person has panic disorder. I can tell you from experience that something like a big test can give somebody anxiety and panic. My boss sprung a big project with deadline on which it had to be done. That gave me severe anxiety and panic. Generally, with panic comes severe anxiety so that person would not look comfortable long after a panic attack. My advice to you is take people for their word and don't judge. If she does have panic disorder the illness is extremely horrible. A panic attack is one of the worst sensations known to man and I can tell you for a fact she is suffering tremendously if she has it.

ThousandMiles
02-06-2014, 10:48 PM
It's hard to tell because there is no clear cut thing that tells you a person has panic disorder. I can tell you from experience that something like a big test can give somebody anxiety and panic. My boss sprung a big project with deadline on which it had to be done. That gave me severe anxiety and panic. Generally, with panic comes severe anxiety so that person would not look comfortable long after a panic attack. My advice to you is take people for their word and don't judge. If she does have panic disorder the illness is extremely horrible. A panic attack is one of the worst sensations known to man and I can tell you for a fact she is suffering tremendously if she has it.

Oh, I know how horrible panic attacks are, I get them quite frequently and am working very hard to keep mine under control :/ I also do not want others to look at me or get involved with me when I'm having one (except perhaps my parents) because I'm upset, embarrassed and want to be alone when I have one.

And again, I know about the stress of deadlines. I feel horrible when I have pressing deadlines... but I try and get them done, no matter what, because I don't want my anxiety to hinder me. If I can't do it, I talk to the teacher. She seems to show no signs of stress though, and boasts about her anxiety and provisions. Which is why I am sceptical.

However, I guess you're right that there's no easy way of telling if she's serious or not, so I'll just try not to judge her, and wish her the best for the school year ahead.

JLBnole68
02-07-2014, 12:44 AM
Even if she's faking it, she obviously has some underlying issues that would be fueling her need for attention. Even if you find it annoying, try not to judge too harshly as I'm not sure how anyone could know whether it's real or pretend. Like I said, either way, it sounds like she has a problem. When people crave attention, there's usually something amiss. I've heard people say they're having a panic attack just as an expression and I know it can be annoying to hear that when you know they aren't really. Seems to belittle the very real struggles anxiety sufferers have to face. However, it's not worth getting worked up confronting. I'm sure you have plenty to deal with on your own.

NixonRulz
02-07-2014, 07:52 AM
After the recent SEX thread, I was reluctant to click on this one

The title made me assume it was about all the women I have slept with in my life

But it's not! Great teaser thread title by the way. People will click it for sure

It seems as bragging of having an emotional disorder is the "I see a therapist" of the last decade

Everyone wants people to feel sorry for them or feel that they are sooooo strong a person because their spouse is probably out playing tonsil hockey with another

Ever notice how so many mothers pile on to the soon to be first time mom of how they had to overcome something so much different with their pregnancy and tries to scare the hell out of said soon to be first time mom?

Ladies, I know by the look on my wife's face that birthing looks pretty painful

But since life, your gender has been shooting little babies out of the birth canal and i doubt that any issue that could have arose hasn't already done so

People faking an anxiety disorder, a eating disorder or even watching Law and Disorder are just looking for attention they aren't getting somewhere else.

Really freak her out and the next time she goes off, excuse yourself for a moment and when you return, tell her you called the local mental hospital because you fear she is breaking down.

Talk about someone healing before your eyes