PDA

View Full Version : High Anxiety

Stephj526
02-06-2014, 10:18 AM
I was doing so good, but now I find my anxiety higher and higher. I had a bad migraine Sunday, and my anxiety hasn't gotten any better since then.

My head feels funny, eyes focus funny, feel lethargic, and just not well. And then I notice the feelings and suddenly I feel like I'm going to pass out, or that something is very wrong and I don't know what it is.

And I don't know what to think anymore. What's anxiety, what's sickness, or real? Help please. I'm having serious panic moments at work today.

lizard0921
02-06-2014, 11:53 AM
Are you on medication?

lizard0921
02-06-2014, 11:54 AM
There's times I feel so off too. Especially my head that causes my whole body to feel odd. I was on medication and that's the only way I would feel back to normal.

WestCanada05
02-06-2014, 12:01 PM
You are NOT going mad, you are just a sensitive person with anxious thoughts. That's perfectly okay. Many people have strange or upsetting thoughts every day, however, we are so sensitive that we get worried or upset about these thoughts. It's this reaction to the thought that cause anxiety, not the thought itself, so (as hard as this can be to do), just ignore the thought. If you think of something awful happening, just say "yeah, grand. This is just an anxious thought. Whatever".

Anxiety can't be gotten rid of like a flu, but it can be managed so well that it feels like its gone. One of the best things I've learned is that I will always have anxiety, I am by nature of a nervous disposition. But that's okay with me. I am learning to be okay with it, I have stopped fighting it. I don't beat myself up about it and I move on each day. In essence, I am reducing my anxiety about having anxiety.
Deep breaths. You can't panic and relax at the same time. You can control your breathing which in turn controls your heart rate. When you get that sinking feeling of anxiety, take 10 nice long deep breaths while repeating the following: "I am a good, I am kind, I am okay". This will give your mind a positive message to focus on while you slow your breathing and relax.
Stop trying to figure out how to control or stop anxiety. You continue to give it more power which increases its hold on you. Accept it.

Remember that an anxiety attack is a release of adrenaline into the body. Your mind believes there is a threat so it releases adrenaline into your system to help your caveman body deal with it. This was great when the threat was a cheetah but not so great when the threat is a thought you can't run away from. But understanding what the panic attack is allows you to relax slightly.

So when a panic attack starts, realise that this uncomfortable sensation is just adrenaline rushing around your body, it can't hurt you. Although it is uncomfortable, nothing can happen to you. The adrenaline will stop soon and you will feel better.
Apparently 1 in 10 people in America have anxiety. You are not alone and you are not as isolated as you feel. You are one of many who feel this way so don't feel like you are all alone and the only one who feels like this. You are perfectly normal and this is going to get better over time. As you learn to deal with it, it gets easier and this happens with time. It won't be gone tomorrow so don't put pressure on yourself to fix it.

A good post from reddit that helps me.

Stephj526
02-06-2014, 12:05 PM
Are you on medication?
Yep. I take Lexapro. It normally keeps me sane lol

Stephj526
02-06-2014, 12:07 PM
You are NOT going mad, you are just a sensitive person with anxious thoughts. That's perfectly okay. Many people have strange or upsetting thoughts every day, however, we are so sensitive that we get worried or upset about these thoughts. It's this reaction to the thought that cause anxiety, not the thought itself, so (as hard as this can be to do), just ignore the thought. If you think of something awful happening, just say "yeah, grand. This is just an anxious thought. Whatever". Anxiety can't be gotten rid of like a flu, but it can be managed so well that it feels like its gone. One of the best things I've learned is that I will always have anxiety, I am by nature of a nervous disposition. But that's okay with me. I am learning to be okay with it, I have stopped fighting it. I don't beat myself up about it and I move on each day. In essence, I am reducing my anxiety about having anxiety. Deep breaths. You can't panic and relax at the same time. You can control your breathing which in turn controls your heart rate. When you get that sinking feeling of anxiety, take 10 nice long deep breaths while repeating the following: "I am a good, I am kind, I am okay". This will give your mind a positive message to focus on while you slow your breathing and relax. Stop trying to figure out how to control or stop anxiety. You continue to give it more power which increases its hold on you. Accept it. Remember that an anxiety attack is a release of adrenaline into the body. Your mind believes there is a threat so it releases adrenaline into your system to help your caveman body deal with it. This was great when the threat was a cheetah but not so great when the threat is a thought you can't run away from. But understanding what the panic attack is allows you to relax slightly. So when a panic attack starts, realise that this uncomfortable sensation is just adrenaline rushing around your body, it can't hurt you. Although it is uncomfortable, nothing can happen to you. The adrenaline will stop soon and you will feel better. Apparently 1 in 10 people in America have anxiety. You are not alone and you are not as isolated as you feel. You are one of many who feel this way so don't feel like you are all alone and the only one who feels like this. You are perfectly normal and this is going to get better over time. As you learn to deal with it, it gets easier and this happens with time. It won't be gone tomorrow so don't put pressure on yourself to fix it. A good post from reddit that helps me.

Thank you for that. It really helps a lot. So often I find myself trying to control my anxiety. I'm learning how to accept it slowly.