PDA

View Full Version : Clam up in front of people?

Murakawa
03-02-2008, 06:26 AM
Forgive me if I ramble...

Ten or so years ago, I was a bubbly, lively, outgoing (almost TOO outgoing) guy. People found me hilarious, great fun to be with, etc etc.

Now I just seem so shy. I totally clam up in front of people - even people who have been my friends for ages. I get paranoid that I'm boring, and that my conversation is dry, and stuff like that. The stupid thing is, I KNOW I'm not a boring person and that deep-down I still have the bubbly-ness and liveliness that I once had... but I struggle to be myself around people.

On Friday night, I met some of my girlfriend's friends for the first time. I was ok to start off with, but then just completely lost it! I kept worrying about what they thought of me and whether they'd 'approve' and silly things like that. I really think I came across as so shy that I can't see why they would approve of me.

Anyway, does anyone here know what this feels like? Is there anything that can be done about it? I really just want to have a good night out again, without worrying if I'm bad company or not!!!

Many thanks - sorry to go on :)

Stephen

Sociald
03-03-2008, 11:49 AM
I can relate to you man! Looks like you have lost a little self-confidence.
I have gone through stages of this in my life.

Its just best to be yourself. We all change as a person in our life and we arent going to be that same person 10 years ago, heck i wouldnt want to be the same person I was 10 years ago.

Maybe next time you go out you can set the place and time. Somewhere that you are comfortable with,, that way you have more "control" over your surroundings. Keep it simple...

But most of all relax, if you keep worrying about how you are appearing to people it might give them them a different view of yourself. Nothing wrong with being shy, we all open up in time!

God Bless,

Ed