PDA

View Full Version : Almost had a panic attack due to light sensitivity.

BoBandoCommando
02-04-2014, 09:22 PM
Title tells it.
I almost got worked up into a frenzy over my eyes. One thing led to the next and I thought I was going to have a seizure. I was able to calm myself down in the shower and by doing breathing exercises. Could I just be having ocular migraines?
Has anyone else experienced problems with this?

FK123
02-04-2014, 11:06 PM
I do not experience ocular migraine however light sensitivity is one of the primary causes for my panic attacks! Fluorescent lighting is the worst for my eyes personally, for some reason it triggers de-personalization and I get all confused/panicky not being able to grasp onto reality. A common trait of anxiety is how hyper-sensitive we are to our bodies and the senses, so it makes sense that lighting could set you off. Although you cannot control it in day to day life, I found finding the perfect balance of light in my room always helps me to feel relaxed.
Sorry I dont have more advice for you, but just wanted to say I experience similar triggers!

BoBandoCommando
02-05-2014, 09:12 AM
Eyes and ears have 1000s of nerves , Anxiety will effect all.

I think you should be more proud you worked your way out of it .

focus on that bit and forget the rest .

I like the way you put that. It made a lot of sense to me. The worry alleviated too.

And you're totally fine, FK. I'm just glad to know I'm not alone.

JLK
02-05-2014, 09:16 AM
Yeah! I totally have this to. I went to the park the other day (anxiety inducing alone) but it was also sunny and there was snow on the ground so it was very,very bright, I ended up panicking and got a migraine later on top of it. Not fun. I tend to obsess about my eyes as well. I just remind myself that no one dies of migraine. I have good eyesight. I can still see the beauty in the world. Positive thoughts!! Way to calm yourself down Bo!!!

BoBandoCommando
02-05-2014, 11:26 AM
Thanks, JLK! It just snowed quite a bit and as you said, it's blinding almost. Even with my eyes closed everything seemed like it was too much. I didn't sleep well at all and so far, all morning I've had really bad anticipatory anxiety. I'm trying to tell myself I'm fine, but today has been hard.

BoBandoCommando
02-05-2014, 12:30 PM
Wow, cheese. Who knew? Scientists, I guess.
I don't recall eating any cheese (maybe cutting some, haha), but I'm glad I know not to eat any if I'm every fidgety.