PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety - Nature vs Nurture

James Spiers
01-31-2014, 07:11 AM
.................................................. .................................................. ..........................................

El Lukio
01-31-2014, 07:15 AM
Anxiety, depression and mental illness run in the family on my mum's side so I think I must pick it up from there. I've had a couple of traumatic experiences as well so I think that to give it a ratio, mine would be 25/75 Nature/Nurture. I blame my genetics more than anything!

JoeCool
01-31-2014, 08:05 AM
I would agree, James, for me it's a 50/50 split as well. Anxiety runs in the family to a certain extent and perhaps not eating right, exercising, getting enough sleep all contribute as well...

ashly1221
01-31-2014, 08:10 AM
My family was pretty mentally stable growing up, the home life wasn't stable but no one showed distress in a form of any mental illness. My grandmother on my dads side had some kind of mental health problems, she passed when I was really young so I've only ever heard about it, my Dad had mental health issues, but I think that had a lot to do with drug abuse. He passed too, and I never really knew him so I will never know.... my siblings and mum all seem pretty good, my mum recently developed anxiety (or recently decided to admit she had it) not sure which one, and that's about it. I have OCD, I clean my house ALL the time when I am stressed. Good for my man though haha he doesn't complain. I have GAD and a history of depression and recently started showing symptoms again as my therapist said, I didn't notice.. I think it's mostly all on me for this one though. I think I just left things for too long and then it escaladed and now I'm here trying to find a way to get back to the old me and not worry so much ! I did have some pretty crazy things happen for someone my age that probably had a lot to do with it. My Dad was murdered when I was 16 and he was trying to get back into my life for months before that happened, shortly after that I got involved with a really bad guy and that resulted in assault charges and restraining orders and then some stalking (that was fun) and then I ultimately moved away met and awesome man who taught me a lot about taking care of myself and now sleep with 2 rifles (Yes, I actually know how to use them, we hunt) in my bedroom closet... a 200 pound man and a dog that are very protective of me.. then my sister got knocked up and is marrying my high school sweetheart so that's also quite fun, especially at family dinners. Pass the potatoes anyone?? Somewhere in the mix of all that I abused prescription drugs and did a lot of cocaine (I'm sober now, for 3 years thanks to my man) there's more I'm sure I could go on and on. So to sum it up, I don't think it is so much genetics on my side, though it may play a small role, I think it is how I have dealt with things in my life up to this point. I have always been the rock for my family so I always just swallowed my own thoughts and feelings and it completely backfired. I'd say about 10/90 ratio for it all. Sorry for the rant there lol. I guess I feel like talking today.

NeverToo...Fear
01-31-2014, 09:10 AM
I've always kinda looked at it like this regarding people with family history of mental illness. You are born a certain way; in your genes you can have that depression/anxiety/ some kind of mental illness and it is always there, under the surface until it is triggered by an event in your life. That event can either be severe or benign, the degree varies, but the event itself was the trigger, the thing that opened the flood gates..
And that trigger will bring up those things that are in your genes up front and center. And once it is activated, well, you can't necessarily un-activate it, if that makes sense.. Kinda like how someone has a natural talent for let's say, reading music. At a young age, suppose a child was introduced to reading music and he will be very good at it. Freaky good.. BUT if he was never exposed to a music sheet, well, no one would ever know he was good at reading music despite that talent was always there.. I hope I'm making some sense here; it's a pretty loose theory--and I'm only talking about people who have families with mental illness..

That's not to say people with no family history of mental illness can develop anxiety/depression based on severe trauma.. I certainly don't want to say that the degree of trauma doesn't play a role in how bad the anxiety/depression gets-- I really don't know. I just don't want to belittle or disregard people's hard life stories by saying it's all genetics and benign triggers can be the catalyst for mental illnesses.. we can all be sure though that the brain is quite a mystery !

Anyway, I feel like my ratio would be around 60/40.. Nature/Nurture

ally
01-31-2014, 02:04 PM
Hi how do you cope with the set backs because I really can't cope well at all just as I think I'm making some progress I'm hit by the anxiety and depression and the terrible nausea I get which is where I'm at now again;( I feel so terrible

NixonRulz
01-31-2014, 02:36 PM
Hi everyone!

Having read multiple posts over the last few weeks detailing really honest accounts of peoples lives and the issues surrounding living them.

I'm wondering how much the balance tips in favour of either biology or experience for people generally.

For instance I am fortunate that I have had relatively good experiences in life (no real trauma other than general work/time pressures). (My heart breaks reading some of the crap people have gone through/going through).

My anxiety/OCD (although now managed pretty well) did for many years almost consume my entire life. Due to a long family history of mental health in my family , I put much down to being genetically predisposed as far as my nervous system is concerned, alongside learning much of the behaviours from watching my mother whilst I was growing up.

In my case I feel it is down to a 50/50 balance of Nature & Nurture.

I'm interested to know if anyone recognises any similarity from my own development.

Regards

James

This is a good thread, james

My mom is a little anxious and takes Buspar (so you know her anxiety is not that bad!)

My grandmother and great aunt suffered a bit more with great aunt being hospitalized for it

I don't know how much that contributes to anxiety or not

I believe being sensitive is probably nuturing or lack there of

I don't necessarily think we pass on anxiety disorders, I think we pass on being sensitivein our genetics a bit

I believe that anxiety is just one thing that may come up to party with you.

NixonRulz
01-31-2014, 02:48 PM
Yeah! Like those pain in the ass neighbours that turn up on your doorstep asking you to turn the music down, then invite themselves in and hang out, drink all the good beer, talk crap and kill everyone's buzz, your friends then leave and you are left wondering how the freaking f*$k you are going to rid of them. :)

You need to put this on the Bitching About Your Day Thread!

Enduronman
01-31-2014, 04:29 PM
Hmmm...
Paternal: Quiet, shy, anxiety, panic, social anxiety, 3 scitzo's that we know of. Common folk.
Maternal: Just the opposite. Professional folk.

Me: A smart, born with ADD, anxious, not shy, overly aggressive, once professional business owner doing common construction work, with no education.

Good thread. Nature/genetics are the largest % of my issues.

E-Man. :)

PiggyStardust
01-31-2014, 05:04 PM
My home life was pretty stable. My dad wasn't around but I have a great stepdad so that wasn't a problem.

I know there is some history of mild depression on my mums side. She, my grandmother and my brother all suffered from it at some point, but all came through it ok and it was never particularly severe. I know my mum and sister also suffer from night terrors/sleep paralysis which I've heard linked with depression and anxiety. Classic depression has not ever been something I've had issues with though.

I'd say I'm about 70/30 nature/nurture

NixonRulz
01-31-2014, 05:12 PM
My home life was pretty stable. My dad wasn't around but I have a great stepdad so that wasn't a problem.

I know there is some history of mild depression on my mums side. She, my grandmother and my brother all suffered from it at some point, but all came through it ok and it was never particularly severe. I know my mum and sister also suffer from night terrors/sleep paralysis which I've heard linked with depression and anxiety. Classic depression has not ever been something I've had issues with though.

I'd say I'm about 70/30 nature/nurture

My real dad was quite the dick as well

Left my mom before I was born and I have never heard from him

My 3rd birthday party is tomorrow and i want a power ranger

Kidding

I get how it feels

My real dad was a real tool

PiggyStardust
01-31-2014, 05:17 PM
My real dad was quite the dick as well

Left my mom before I was born and I have never heard from him

My 3rd birthday party is tomorrow and i want a power ranger

Kidding

I get how it feels

My real dad was a real tool

Deadbeat dads are the worst, mine left when I was 7, not a peep from him until I was 20 then he shows up because he got sick and needed someone to take care of him and a place to stay. Needless to stay he got what he needed then skipped off again, never to be seem again.

Never mind Nixon, we're better off without 'em!

EonBlue
01-31-2014, 05:34 PM
I've had a good childhood me and my brother were very happy, and hyper kids always doing new stuff and very inquisitive and we used to tussle with eachother a lot/squabble over power plays, healthy kids basically. I had very happy memories as a child, the fact that basically All my problems seemed to begin abruptly at 13 (I have Ocd mainly ) definitely clues me into some genetic piece.

Here's the thing, I don't think it's either or or you can even easily determine. I had a lot of unhealthy coping early in and I think nurture and environment had a thing to do with me getting worse. The ocd tendency I'd say is definitely genetic. Every once in a while you just get this strange thought that threatens to suck you in, all your attention ...and you'd know the feeling if you have that. It's profoundly uncomfortable and it can feel like out of control if it grows. I'm currently skirting on her outside of that now in my life. I didn't have ocd my entire life, I don't know if I always will - but suspect I might. However, whatever.
Medication is helping me, 30mg celexa, and so is the coping skills of letting em pass and not engaging in them. I'm way more back in my life and feeling healthy and less preoccupied thn I have in years.

NixonRulz
01-31-2014, 05:39 PM
Deadbeat dads are the worst, mine left when I was 7, not a peep from him until I was 20 then he shows up because he got sick and needed someone to take care of him and a place to stay. Needless to stay he got what he needed then skipped off again, never to be seem again.

Never mind Nixon, we're better off without 'em!

Lets start the "Step Off Bitch, Nothing Good Was Gonna Come With You In My Life" club

PiggyStardust
01-31-2014, 06:31 PM
Lets start the "Step Off Bitch, Nothing Good Was Gonna Come With You In My Life" club

Sounds like the club for me! :D

ashly1221
01-31-2014, 08:34 PM
I've had a good childhood me and my brother were very happy, and hyper kids always doing new stuff and very inquisitive and we used to tussle with eachother a lot/squabble over power plays, healthy kids basically. I had very happy memories as a child, the fact that basically All my problems seemed to begin abruptly at 13 (I have Ocd mainly ) definitely clues me into some genetic piece.

Here's the thing, I don't think it's either or or you can even easily determine. I had a lot of unhealthy coping early in and I think nurture and environment had a thing to do with me getting worse. The ocd tendency I'd say is definitely genetic. Every once in a while you just get this strange thought that threatens to suck you in, all your attention ...and you'd know the feeling if you have that. It's profoundly uncomfortable and it can feel like out of control if it grows. I'm currently skirting on her outside of that now in my life. I didn't have ocd my entire life, I don't know if I always will - but suspect I might. However, whatever.
Medication is helping me, 30mg celexa, and so is the coping skills of letting em pass and not engaging in them. I'm way more back in my life and feeling healthy and less preoccupied thn I have in years.

Glad to read you're coping as best you can and feeling good !

PanicPhobia
02-01-2014, 10:53 AM
Hi everyone!

Having read multiple posts over the last few weeks detailing really honest accounts of peoples lives and the issues surrounding living them.

I'm wondering how much the balance tips in favour of either biology or experience for people generally.
James

I think it's both. Research shows that panic disorder runs in families (they have actually isolated some of the genes). That said, not everyone who is a "carrier" will end up suffering, but most carriers are more "fragile" than the average person. That is to say, if something traumatic happens, it could trigger the "disease" that lay dormant. Traumatic events can affect anyone negatively, but most people will cope and overcome it on their own. Those of us with these unfortunate genes do not. I think a good example of this are war veterans. My father was in combat in Vietnam and suffered from PTSD most of his life (though he would never admit it). Some of his platoon mates didn't have as many issues, even though they were in the same jungle and saw the same combat. So this tells us that the "experience" alone isn't enough. Some people are simply more inclined to "snap" than others.

I think that's what happened to me. I was just fine in my teens and early 20's. Then I had a "breakdown" after a death in my family when I was in college. I didn't cope with it like a normal person would, but I let it eat at me for months, and years. It was so bad I had to quit school, quit my job, and lost my girlfriend. Then that made things worse. I remember sitting in my apartment alone that whole summer doing nothing but sleeping and pacing the floors. I felt something wrong inside, but couldn't pinpoint it. My consciousness just felt different. I felt more "agitated" and less comfortable in my own skin. I had weird intrusive thoughts, etc. The doctors said depression, others said bi-polar. Now looking back, I think they are all wrong -- I think I just have severe anxiety.

But in reality, all of these diseases share a genetic link. Depression, bi-polar, anxiety are all closely linked in the genome according to the research I have seen. It is like a continuum of different disorders with similar symptoms. One day the researchers will crack this code and a lot of psychiatry as we know it today will be obsolete. Today the shrinks are often just guessing how to "classify" someone based on behavior, interviews and diagnostic criteria. In the future, you will give them a cheek swab and they will be able to tell you exactly what genes are affecting your moods and this will allow us to have much more effective and pinpointed treatment. No more of these drug cocktail merry-go-rounds.

NixonRulz
02-24-2014, 04:09 PM
I have said in the past that my teen son has anxiety symptoms. Geez tonight he comes and tells me he thinks he might have this or that as he's been using some kind of symptom checker! Worried.

Unplug your cable modem and save him from years of this nonsense