PDA

View Full Version : My panic attack - atypical?

KitahD
01-26-2014, 11:03 PM
My first panic attack happened over a year ago...I experienced a short period of constant intrusive thoughts, about a few weeks, thereafter. It's like my mind switched to paranoia after the attack. I didn't experience a raging heartbeat or breathing difficulty during the attack. Does increased HR and breathing 'always' accompany an attack? I just had an overwhelming feeling of not being me and a fear of not being in control. I then began fearing that I would harm my family because I didn't feel like I was in control. Can anyone relate? I took Zoloft for four months but didn't like the way it made me feel. I have Xanax when needed but I haven't used it in months. Overall, I feel more in control but the intrusive thoughts still linger.

KitahD
01-27-2014, 07:04 AM
Bump :) Anyone?

GeneAllen
01-27-2014, 07:09 AM
Sounds so familiar. All of it. Just remember you can't fight this, or push it away. You have to follow the thoughts through, and though a feeling of heaviness may be felt, let those thoughts flow. They aren't you, just an experience you're having. This will alleviate rebound attacks.
Peace

reese
01-27-2014, 07:13 AM
My first panic attack happened over a year ago...I experienced a short period of constant intrusive thoughts, about a few weeks, thereafter. It's like my mind switched to paranoia after the attack. I didn't experience a raging heartbeat or breathing difficulty during the attack. Does increased HR and breathing 'always' accompany an attack? I just had an overwhelming feeling of not being me and a fear of not being in control. I then began fearing that I would harm my family because I didn't feel like I was in control. Can anyone relate? I took Zoloft for four months but didn't like the way it made me feel. I have Xanax when needed but I haven't used it in months. Overall, I feel more in control but the intrusive thoughts still linger.

For me, attacks never follow a typical pattern. Sometimes my heart races, sometimes it doesn't really go far above normal, sometimes my mind races, sometimes it blanks out. Panic attacks are different for every person and generally different every time they happen.

I too have problems with intrusive thoughts. For a while I would have these out of control thoughts about murdering my nephew (which I would never do) but it was my anxiety picking my worst fear, my nephew dying, and playing with it to keep me "in line." Anxiety is your primitive brain trying to manipulate and control you. Just try to remember that you are in control of your actions, but not your thoughts. We have a million trillion thoughts a day, and no control over most of them....it's up to you to ignore or acknowledge the worthwhile ones!

Stay strong!

GeneAllen
01-27-2014, 07:15 AM
Awesome Reese. Peace

KitahD
01-27-2014, 09:50 PM
Thanks...seems like I'm always seeking affirmation that I have typical anxiety. :(

KitahD
01-27-2014, 10:32 PM
I had an aunt who was bipolar then my sister suffered mental breaks three times...hate playing the blame game, but I think my mom always made me fearful of becoming mentally ill. Doing something out of my norm was considered unusual and received a lot of attention. Something so simple as going to the store. She was very overprotective and anxious herself. I think my worst fear is being perceived as mentally off or bipolar. Second to that, I am a Christian and struggle with good vs evil.