PDA

View Full Version : Cold or Flu??

SSMommy
01-25-2014, 12:56 PM
Hey everyone!

My daughter is sick with something. We thought it was going to go away and now it has come back. Bad cough and fever slightly over 101 which is up and down. I've now developed a dryish cough and fever as well but mine is lower. Throat is a bit sore and just overall very tired. My fever is lower but kids don't actually have fevers until a higher point so they are probably pretty close in how high they are running. I am WAY paranoid about the flu this year as I heard it is very strong this year and hitting healthy people really hard. So anxious right now. My fever is 99.5-99.8. Coughing, sore throat, I don't really have a runny nose but my daughters has been running like crazy, strong chills-freezing. What are your thoughts? Cold or flu?

rawrz87
01-25-2014, 01:05 PM
Hello,

Are you stuffy at all? I just got checked.. I got the same thing, more of a sinus issue.

SSMommy
01-25-2014, 01:08 PM
I am a little bit but it's predominantly a really dry cough which bugs me because if feels like I need to get things out and it's not coming. My daughters cough is producing lots of phlegm and her nose is running like crazy and she overall is acting relatively normal. Kids seem to handle sickness much better than adults.

SSMommy
01-25-2014, 01:09 PM
She has now had if for over a week. She started to get better and then the cough came back full force with fever.

SSMommy
01-25-2014, 01:10 PM
I just started my journey with it today... Haha

reese
01-25-2014, 02:15 PM
The rule of thumb is if your fever is under 101 it is not the flu. The flu hits you hard and fast and generally your fever goes up to 101 or 102 within a few hours. I learned this when I had swine flu a few years back. It sounds like it may just be a cold, my temp rises to 99.5-99.9 everyti,e I have a cold. Keep strong! Having a cold is the absolute worst for anxiety

SSMommy
01-25-2014, 02:22 PM
Thanks Reese. Mine got up to 100.8 and I took some ibuprofen. My cheeks are flushed red and I'm just exhausted. I'm not used to a cold hitting me this hard but I am getting older... Hahaha (29). I don't like the rattle in my chest. I had the flu when I was pregnant and it was terrible. Fever was like 103 and it was awful!

reese
01-25-2014, 02:27 PM
Thanks Reese. Mine got up to 100.8 and I took some ibuprofen. My cheeks are flushed red and I'm just exhausted. I'm not used to a cold hitting me this hard but I am getting older... Hahaha (29). I don't like the rattle in my chest. I had the flu when I was pregnant and it was terrible. Fever was like 103 and it was awful!

Oh no! Pregnancy flus have to be so scary and tiring. As long as the ibuprofen is keeping down your fever I wouldn't worry too much. If you still have a fever in a few days or it gets higher I would definitely go to the doctor or a clinic. Unfortunately, there's not much they can do for flu and colds.

em1
01-25-2014, 02:31 PM
I know this may sound crazy but for a cough rub some vapor rub on the bottom of your feet or your little ones and it helps :)

SSMommy
01-25-2014, 03:19 PM
Em... Thanks for the tip! I may do that when she goes down tonight.

em1
01-25-2014, 03:37 PM
Em... Thanks for the tip! I may do that when she goes down tonight.
Anytime :) i hate it when my little ones are ill so anything that will help them I try

SSMommy
01-25-2014, 05:20 PM
Ok number one thing I HATE ABOUT fever.. Fast heart rate :(

reese
01-25-2014, 06:19 PM
Ok number one thing I HATE ABOUT fever.. Fast heart rate :(

Just remember, it's fast so it can pump more blood to your body to heal it! Change it around in your mind as being a good thing :) stay positive

SSMommy
01-25-2014, 06:39 PM
Reese--- I know you're right but it's hard for me to ignore :(. The fact that I have SVT makes me a bit sensitive to changes in my pulse as I got really used to it going nuts out of nowhere at times.

SSMommy
01-26-2014, 04:07 PM
So stressed out right now :( my husband just had to go to prompt care because his fever was 103.2 after ibuprofen.... They are testing for flu.... Really hoping this comes back negative.

SSMommy
01-26-2014, 05:01 PM
He tested negative.... Thank goodness!