PDA

View Full Version : Beta Blocker Reduction

SSMommy
01-25-2014, 10:03 AM
Hi everyone!!

I wanted to see if anyone here had experience in reducing beta blocker dosage. I saw my doctor about the spell I had last week and she thinks it's time to reduce BB dosage (currently 50mg daily) in half. I was never taking it for anxiety. It was for SVT. It is thought that because of the correction of my chest, my heart now has room and my BP is dropping too low when I stand up causing the severe headache and then my body's overcompensation with flushing and confusion. I'm nervous so wanted to see if anyone has success stories about reducing BB dosage.

em1
01-25-2014, 10:10 AM
Hi everyone!! I wanted to see if anyone here had experience in reducing beta blocker dosage. I saw my doctor about the spell I had last week and she thinks it's time to reduce BB dosage (currently 50mg daily) in half. I was never taking it for anxiety. It was for SVT. It is thought that because of the correction of my chest, my heart now has room and my BP is dropping too low when I stand up causing the severe headache and then my body's overcompensation with flushing and confusion. I'm nervous so wanted to see if anyone has success stories about reducing BB dosage.

Hi ya there I've been on beta blockers for years on and off and I've never had any problem
Coming off them

ab123
01-25-2014, 10:22 AM
Ssmommy, how's your svt going?

raggamuffin
01-25-2014, 10:23 AM
As with coming on a medication, the body will adapt to coming off them. I don't think effects off coming off beta blockers are anywhere near as bad as an SSRI or some such where it has to be done in stages. I konw it's often easier said than done but try not to focus on what if's when it comes to coming off a medication. Keep yourself busy and don't try and dwell on symptoms and such like. If anything, if you've been having issues with low BP then reducing or coming off the beta blockers entirely will make you feel better and not worse.

Ed

SSMommy
01-25-2014, 10:28 AM
My SVT has been absolutely gone while on the beta blockers. My heart was severely compressed by pectus excavatum and so that was contributing to the episodes which were long and scary. My heart had approximately 3.5cm between spine to sternum and it was pushed all the way over causing my left lung to not be able to expand. The thought is that now that my heart is not compressed, displaced, or rotated it may be functioning more normally so now the dosage is too high. I am just nervous. While I know that most likely physical issues probably exacerbated it, the episodes scared the crap out of me.

I think I recall you saying you also have SVT... Is that correct? Do you have to take medication for it?