PDA

View Full Version : Counseling question

gadguy
01-25-2014, 07:39 AM
I just switched to a new GP, he wants me to try some counseling for my anxiety. I have always been resistant to the idea as I have no idea were my anxiety stems from. I told him this, but he said he counseling may help me handle the anxiety differently than I do now.

What should I expect? I really like to keep most people at a distance, but I'm willing to at least give it a try. Any advice?

monkeynuts111
01-25-2014, 07:45 AM
It's worth a try. Counselling is for some and not for others. You won't know until you try. You might decide it's the best thing and helps you. I went to a counsellor for 2 years, realised she wasn't helping, then went to a psychologist for 6 months and she didn't work for me either. Then I found a local support group for people with mental distress, it's an open group of around 10 people who meet every 2 weeks. It's good to talk to people who have or are suffering mental distress.

lexiii
01-25-2014, 07:58 AM
I just switched to a new GP, he wants me to try some counseling for my anxiety. I have always been resistant to the idea as I have no idea were my anxiety stems from. I told him this, but he said he counseling may help me handle the anxiety differently than I do now. What should I expect? I really like to keep most people at a distance, but I'm willing to at least give it a try. Any advice?

My anxiety attacks are random and out of no where although I do worry all the time I never have had an attack while worrying it's while I'm not worrying which is weird.. Can be in mid conversation or randomly at work when I don't feel stressed.. Anyways my doctor suggested I see someone as we'll... I didn't think it would help either but the more u talk to someone the more u share with them the better u feel and the more u learn about yoursel and ur anxiety u just have to be honest not embarassed and tell them everything I left feeling great and on Wednesday I'm going again and I'm looking forward to it !!