PDA

View Full Version : How long do your panic attacks last

Blessed
01-24-2014, 11:34 AM
How can you tell it's coming on?? When does yours peak? How long does it take for you to slowly calm down? What's the longest attack you have experienced? Mine has been two hours now. Would really love some relief

Applecherry
01-24-2014, 12:16 PM
Some say 10 minutes to build up, a minute to peak, and 30 mins (or more) to come down. In that respect, panic attacks are kind of like an orgasm, (the unpleasant kind) lol, like the evil twin. Honestly though, it really varies, nothing is set in stone. I often have latent build ups that don't precipitate into full blown attacks (and that is really most everyday) I do not have full blowns everyday.

jessed03
01-24-2014, 12:35 PM
My longest sequence was around 2 hours too, a while ago, when I had a really bad virus, just unrelenting for so long.

Every other has averaged at around 15 mins :)

Applecherry
01-24-2014, 12:40 PM
It's important to remember panic attacks aren't just happening for no reason, you need to figure out the cause, not just worry about the symptoms. You said you were at work in your other post, perhaps being at work is making you feel confined and stuck (which typically it does for most ppl) and no doubt making the anxiety worse since you are unable to "fight or flight" at the moment. Try and relax when you get home, do something you enjoy and take it easy for a while. Good luck.

Applecherry
01-24-2014, 01:33 PM
I would say it's more generally the opposite way around, panic attacks often happen for no apparent reason, or any reason at all (heightened anxiety can arm the brain to respond with fear to literally any situation with valid reason or not).

Successful treatment often relies on changing the behaviour attached to the physical symptoms rather than trying to focus too much on the potential triggers (as they frequently change and adapt).

They can happen for "seemingly" no reason, but to say the are random, makes absolutely no sense. Anxiety sufferers are encouraged to recognize triggers, because it helps to understand what is going on, when one feels completely in the dark, the anxiety lingers. And in my own experience I know that has helped me a great deal, that is why cognitive behavioral therapy is so effective with anxiety suffers. Talking with a therapist I had once, she also agreed.

Applecherry
01-24-2014, 01:39 PM
"panic attacks often happen for no apparent reason, or any reason at all (heightened anxiety can arm the brain to respond with fear to literally any situation with valid reason or not)."

Yeah it can, and there is a cause FOR that heightened anxiety that needs to be identified, in order to stop the attacks and hyper awareness coming with it.

jessed03
01-24-2014, 02:04 PM
That amygdala sure does cause a lot of problems at times :)

What is it you do James? You've said twice now you've worked with people anxious in nature, sounds like some sort of therapy job?

AliasEQ
01-24-2014, 02:04 PM
My first panic attack was going on for 4-6 hours. Horrible. Second went on for 2-4 hours. Third one and everyone after that is going on for like 10-60 minutes, because I now know what it is and that it's not dangerous. I've also found some techniques that works really well. I haven't had an attack for like a month now, feels really good. Wish you the best!

Blessed
01-24-2014, 02:07 PM
My first panic attack was going on for 4-6 hours. Horrible. Second went on for 2-4 hours. Third one and everyone after that is going on for like 10-60 minutes, because I now know what it is and that it's not dangerous. I've also found some techniques that works really well. I haven't had an attack for like a month now, feels really good. Wish you the best!mine were doing the same and now theyre building up more and more intense and lasting longer. I'm so jittery and shaky right now.

AliasEQ
01-24-2014, 02:44 PM
Workout. Exercise was the best cure for me. 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the evening. Then come home drink 2 cups chamomile tea with some honey. Try it for a week, I promise you it'll help you alot.

What you must do now is relax. Distraction is very good. Don't sit there and focus on the attack, do something. Go for a walk, listen to some music, watch TV. Don't isolate yourself with that feeling. And always remember, it's not harmful. It won't do anything to you. It just gets you really scared. Don't go on google and search for symptoms, you'll go from 1 problem to 200 problems. What I'd do to relax was watching some massage videos on youtube. It got me really relaxed. However, when you find a technique, I promise you it'll be easier to deal with it. And always remember, you're not alone! :)

Applecherry
01-24-2014, 04:57 PM
Everyone is different, and I am certainly not saying your opinion is not valid, but I stand by the point I made. I have dealt with many people trying to fathom the cause (past experience, events, memories). Most often than not the believed causes are selective or vague at best.

Of course there are patients who have specific triggers (hospitals, medical staff, spiders, snakes....) but generalised anxiety and panic can change frequently.

For example a client may explain they are anxious over finances, the next time I see them it's illness, death , work.

Obviously if there is a definite cause this is able to be dealt with, you clearly had positive results in this way, In my experience many people have multiple or varying triggers.

Much blame lies on that pesky old misfiring Amygdala :)

I don't recall saying that there's only one single thing causing their anxiety and it's set in stone forever and ever as you imply. Of course an array of stressors can trigger anxiety, life circumstances change, but coping with a heavy load of stress will spawn panic attacks for anxiety prone ppl. It simply helps to think over what's currently going on in your life and try to think over what is causing the panic attacks to return.

jessed03
01-24-2014, 05:34 PM
Hi Jessed

It's complicated (as they say) My anxiety kind of defined a change of career. I am desperately trying to finish off my studies in the hope of getting onto the doctoral programme for clinical psychology. I'm volunteering with local organisations currently trying to build my clinical hours (and offering support obviously).

Ok, that sounds cool. You just never get to take the easy road in life once you've had anxiety, do you. Once the hard road, always the hard road ;)

No, but seriously; you seem very motivated, you explain concepts very coherently, care enough to volunteer time on a free forum. You've got all the tools James, I hope you're a big success!

jessed03
01-24-2014, 06:26 PM
You're welcome. Always motivational to meet somebody working hard towards their dream.

How long realistically until you think you'll be able to reach your goal, and work with patients suffering from a compulsion disorder?

P.s. Regarding the profile quip - You wouldn't believe the amount of people that have messaged me on here, thinking that is my actual job. I'd always wondered if anybody was actually getting the joke ;)

Applecherry
01-24-2014, 07:48 PM
I don't see where my comments imply any such suggestion?

Regardless, I don't wish to get into some kind of technicality argument.

To clarify, the point I was attempting to make was that (in many cases) it is more effective from a treatment perspective to consider modifying behaviour resulting from the physical as a generic tool to allow someone to cope with (often) multiple triggers. Rather than concentrating on trying to find the cause of each episode (that can vary and are often not fully understood).

Right, well, it was you who first used the word "debate", so if anyone is trying to make an argument out of this, it's you. Plus your wording is very similar to "jessed" during the last debate you tried "sparking" with me when I was using my gbe account. That aside, what "modifying" of behavior are you referring to exactly? I guess you can disregard what I say and she can be left with continual heart racing attacks and wonder how to stop them , or she can use some CBT to help guide her through them.. Also finding the trigger is not the only way I'd suggest to combat them, I think exercise is great for releasing tension as well as hobbies and talking to ppl. I simply was offering advice since I have been dealing with this shit on and off for nearly 4 years. My depression and anxiety is at times so bad I don't want to get out of bed in the morning or even leave the house, yet I do both because I try not to let the attacks get in the way of my life. I speak from experience so I do know some effective coping strategies, take them or leave them. *shrug*

blondieqtpie
01-25-2014, 01:32 AM
My attacks range from shirt than an hour ( if lucky) to two days was the longest. They range in intensity too.. The lower ones I can mange better and overcome faster.
I find if I get an attack during the day it is normally easier to cope with and get over opposed to night-- especially if its a night attack when I have to work the next day.. Because my anxiety goes up worrying about getting sleep for work, looking after my children and taking my oldest child to school... Which I would not be able to do during an attack and with lack of sleep.
And everyone's symptoms are different. When I was in college another student who got panic attacks would pass out during hers.
But you are so not alone and even just to vent or talk I find this is a good place.

jessed03
01-25-2014, 05:02 AM
The debate / argument was (our differing opinions).

I expressed at least twice throughout the thread that I was NOT saying your opinion wasn't valid.

You gave advice on what worked for you, I gave what works for me.

You have totally lost me on the bit about Jessed?

Behaviour modification (CBT) - of course! - Again unclear where I have ever suggested you wouldn't use this?

I fear our interaction has become unhealthy, thus I would suggest we agree to disagree.

The jessed reference, is because she suffers from paranoia. She goes through stages where she believes people on here are trolling her. She's picked at several people on here now because of that.

You're right, it's best to draw a line under this debate. I had the same one with her a week ago, where she seemed to disagree that even the sun was yellow, it's a pretty fruitless activity.

If you're ever bored search her other name gingerbreadelf and you can read more about her issues and stuff. Otherwise, have a good weekend :)

Applecherry
01-25-2014, 06:45 AM
The jessed reference, is because she suffers from paranoia. She goes through stages where she believes people on here are trolling her. She's picked at several people on here now because of that.

You're right, it's best to draw a line under this debate. I had the same one with her a week ago, where she seemed to disagree that even the sun was yellow, it's a pretty fruitless activity.

If you're ever bored search her other name gingerbreadelf and you can read more about her issues and stuff. Otherwise, have a good weekend :)

HA, I love this! You mean this post? http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?24366-That-quot-Feeling-quot where you're suspiciously "debating" me in the same manner, and accusing me of being "paranoid"?

Yeah, go ahead and read it again, I think it's pretty clear what a troll you are. I am no longer engaging, cause that's just what you want me to do, and it's a complete waste of time. You haven't actually made clear what you were disagreeing with me about anyway, it's all just kind of a vague attempt to start something with me. I don't even know what you're doing on this forum, but I wish you'd leave me alone.

Anyway, I wash my hands of this. I'm done here. and I thoroughly regret taking the troll's bait once again. *shakes head*

jessed03
01-25-2014, 06:52 AM
HA, I love this! You mean this post? http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?24366-That-quot-Feeling-quot where you're suspiciously "debating" me in the same manner, and accusing me of being "paranoid"?

Yeah, go ahead and read it again, I think it's pretty clear what a troll you are. I am no longer engaging, cause that's just what you want me to do, and it's a complete waste of time. You haven't actually made clear what you were disagreeing with me about anyway, it's all just kind of a vague attempt to start something with me. I don't even know what you're doing on this forum, but I wish you'd leave me alone.

Anyway, I wash my hands of this. I'm done here. and I thoroughly regret taking the troll's bait once again. *shakes head*

James is a different user to me, you do realize that, right?

So far, you've accused James, myself, Nixon, Scareddan, Enduronman, Nixon, Jlbnole, MiST, Gene... Of all being the same person.

That's not a healthy way to be Applecherry/gingerbreadelf... That just creates an awkward forum atmosphere. It's not cool.

Applecherry
01-25-2014, 07:04 AM
You make it sound as if I "accuse" every random user here of being you, I don't, and I made clear in that post why I felt those particular names are suspicious. but congratulations on starting yet another drama here, you got what you wanted.

jessed03
01-25-2014, 07:14 AM
You make it sound as if I "accuse" every random user here of being you, I don't, and I made clear in that post why I felt those particular names are suspicious. but congratulations on starting yet another drama here, you got what you wanted.

Applecherry, you were the one who brought me into this. I was talking to James about his career, I hadnt spoken to you in this thread, or any other under your new user name.

I talk to a lot of people on here, you can't go around saying I'm a troll, or anybody who doesn't understand you, or debates something with you is a troll. That just isn't right, despite your paranoia. It's harmful.

If you wanna reply to this, reply, then we'll draw a line under this thread. My weekends aren't for 'arguing', neither are yours, I'm sure.