PDA

View Full Version : New Around here- Sleeping aid help needed

anxietycat
01-23-2014, 07:26 AM
Hello All-

For about 3 weeks I have been dealing with anxiety related insomnia. I never had problems sleeping before and all of the sudden one night I just couldn't sleep at all and stayed up all night. It went downhill from there. After about 3-4 days of not sleeping well, my doc called in some ambien 5 mg. I was terrified to take them and went two days without sleeping before I forced myself to take one. I slept 4-5 hours the first time. Ever since then (about 12 days) i have been taking Ambien nightly, but i have found it does not work well at all. It will make me go to sleep but I will only sleep about 3-4 hours and if I'm lucky I can get another 1-2 after, but most of the time not. I also feel like the ambien is making my anxiety 100x worse the next day.

I got Ambien CR 6.5 mg from my doc as well as Lunest 2 mg. I am eager to try these two with hopes they will help to keep me asleep throughout the night, but I am also scared that they just won't work and I will be left laying there. I have read a lot online about the generic CR not working well and I've also read a lot about Lunesta not working well. Also, I am concerned with the CR bc it's only 6.5 mg and the lunesta is only 2 - will that be enough? I guess I just won't know until I try, but I am so hesitant to try on a work night when I know I have to be up for work the next morning. Any advice?

I should also add that I've been on 10 mg of Lexapro for about 3 years. My new psych also rx'ed me Ativan but i haven't filled it yet- I haven't taken Ativan in years except to fly. One of my friends uses ativan to sleep instead of a z drug. Not sure about that ...

Any help or insights would be appreciated. I feel like I am losing it because I used to be so normal with sleep and now I'm not. As someone with anxiety, you all know this will mess with your head.

Th13thOne
01-23-2014, 08:44 AM
I can totally relate.

Sorry to say I can't give you any helpful tips. Ativan is the first thing we tried, now I've pretty much tried everything. I feel your pain.

I'm on here a lot seeking relief and just nice people to chat with so if you see me on here do not hesitate to talk with me.

Best wishes!!

Dahila
01-23-2014, 10:04 AM
Well you had read wrong about generic meds, the only difference could be the fillers not the actual medication. I do not know why people put such Bs on internet about generic and brand name meds. The difference between the Advil and Ibuprophen is none both contain the same chemical; Ibuprophen ...
I was once on Ambien and it worked well for me, however at that time I started meditation and quit on Ambien or any other meds for over two years....

anxietycat
01-23-2014, 10:08 AM
thnks for the replies guys ... so what should i do tonight?

1) continue taking regular ambien and hope it works (it should since i didn't sleep well last night) but normally I have to take another 1-2mg around 2-3 am.
2) try lunesta
3) try ambien CR knowing i can't take another one if I can't sleep

Well you had read wrong about generic meds, the only difference could be the fillers not the actual medication. I do not know why people put such Bs on internet about generic and brand name meds. The difference between the Advil and Ibuprophen is none both contain the same chemical; Ibuprophen ...
I was once on Ambien and it worked well for me, however at that time I started meditation and quit on Ambien or any other meds for over two years....

jessed03
01-23-2014, 10:20 AM
Dahlia, this link is kind of interesting about how sometimes generics can be less effective

http://www.webmd.com/depression/features/generic-antidepressants-what-you-need-to-know_

They make generic meds here in the UK sooo cheaply, I do often feel sometimes they cut corners.

@anxietycat: I'd go for option number 1, but that's just me personally. :)

Th13thOne
01-23-2014, 10:23 AM
I to would go for option number 1 as well. Good luck! :)

Dahila
01-23-2014, 10:57 AM
Jessed is nice to see you in one piece :)) I switched all the brand name to generic ie. Lipor, Micardis, even my Clonazepam I think is generic. Lorazepam is generic name of Advil. Sorry but no difference. They cut corners only with the fillers not the meds. Chemical formula is formula and it does not change. I was on Brand name of micardis for three years paying a fortune, and when I switched to pay a 1/10 it also helped me to lower the BP :)) works the same....Micardis plus is BP and beta blocker, ..

Anxiety cat, Getting 5.6 hours of sleep for anxious people is normal, I think. I did some relaxing exercise yesterday, took the pills then tossed half of night, then took another and slept for 5 hours, thanks heaven I got some sleep. Insomnia is the worst, try stay off internet for a while before bed.. maybe drinking a herbal tea can help you;))

jessed03
01-23-2014, 11:12 AM
Thanks Dahila ;)

Yeah, 99% of people don't have a problem with generic. Sometimes different generics of Remeron gave me side effects, one company I had no side effect, another company I couldn't sleep cos of restless legs and stuff. I think they put some horrible fillers in.

I think Wellbutrin seems to be the most common one people moan about generic not being as good. On Celexa and Valium I had no problem with generic or brand named :)

They are doing a study now checking the difference between generic Wellbutrin and brand name, as so many people complained, they even made a website for people to write in their comments about switching! It will interesting

Dahila
01-23-2014, 12:02 PM
Thanks Dahila ;)

Yeah, 99% of people don't have a problem with generic. Sometimes different generics of Remeron gave me side effects, one company I had no side effect, another company I couldn't sleep cos of restless legs and stuff. I think they put some horrible fillers in.

I think Wellbutrin seems to be the most common one people moan about generic not being as good. On Celexa and Valium I had no problem with generic or brand named :)

They are doing a study now checking the difference between generic Wellbutrin and brand name, as so many people complained, they even made a website for people to write in their comments about switching! It will interesting

you are probably right Jessed with some of the meds. I usually say what I experienced, and for me it is not different. Tylenol 3 works same as generic, which I am using for some time, wrong, I try not to use it:)) I hate painkillers...