PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Sigmoidoscopy Jitters

RecurringThoughts
01-21-2014, 05:13 PM
I posted a days ago about finding out that I have ulcerations in my colorectal region that warrant a second opinion to reach a diagnosis (could be Crohn's disease, according to my gynecologist, but ulcerations in this area can also mean ulcerative colitis). I have an appointment on Thursday for a sigmoidoscopy, and as the time nears, I am getting more and more nervous of the possible outcome. Both Crohn's and ulcerative colitis sound like terrible diseases to have, but I also worry about them finding tumors or something that suggest I have colon cancer (of course). I'm not nail-biting nervous, but a little uneasy and wouldn't mind talking to people about this. How do you deal with impending check-ups of this nature? Do you not think about it as much as possible? It's been a few days since I made the appointment, and during that time I wasn't too worried. Now that it's almost Thursday, I'm starting to feel concerned about what the doctor's might discover :/

Part of me is grateful for this opportunity, though, because my gastrointestinal health has been a source of concern for me for a little while and now I might find out that everything is okay and I just have IBS!

Enduronman
01-21-2014, 09:10 PM
Well. friend..

I'm having a brain scan tomorrow because I've had 15 seizures and the Neurologist say that something may be wrong with my brain..I couldv'e told him that for less money!
I hope I don't have tumors or anything, but if so,..it is what it is. They'll figure out how to deal with it because brain surgery isn't my specialty. :)

Crohn's and ulcerative colitis both can be controlled (moreso) with your diet then anything else...

Sure, it may suck to be a vegetarian, but what's worse?...Pain, or eating veggies for dinner..????.....

Heck, even IBS can be controlled (moreso) with a diet free of animal proteins..that's what causes it RT!.....

E-Man...:)

Dahila
01-21-2014, 09:18 PM
Eman please keep us up to date with the results and everything
I am going to keep my fingers crossed, everything is going to be ok.....

RecurringThoughts
01-21-2014, 09:45 PM
I'm vegan, e-man! Have been for five years, and generally follow a whole-foods diet. So, that's already not a problem. I have one friend who has Crohn's and is treating it with her diet, so I know it can be done. Yet, she still has bad days. I don't think I have it, because I don't really have any other symptoms. I get bad stomach cramps sometimes, but that could be IBS. Maybe I could still have it, and my diet is just helping alleviate the symptoms. We'll see.

I agree with your outlook, though. I need to stop thinking that nothing could be done if it did happen that I had a serious illness. I need to believe in myself and my doctors.

I really hope your appointment goes well tomorrow and that the prognosis is positive! Give us an update on what you find out!!!

Terre Nova
01-22-2014, 02:19 AM
I'm vegan, e-man! Have been for five years, and generally follow a whole-foods diet. So, that's already not a problem. I have one friend who has Crohn's and is treating it with her diet, so I know it can be done. Yet, she still has bad days. I don't think I have it, because I don't really have any other symptoms. I get bad stomach cramps sometimes, but that could be IBS. Maybe I could still have it, and my diet is just helping alleviate the symptoms. We'll see.

I agree with your outlook, though. I need to stop thinking that nothing could be done if it did happen that I had a serious illness. I need to believe in myself and my doctors.

I really hope your appointment goes well tomorrow and that the prognosis is positive! Give us an update on what you find out!!!

Yay for Vegans!! :)