PDA

View Full Version : Cautionary tales?

Anxious Abi
01-20-2014, 01:28 PM
Every time I see the Psychiatrist he tells me a cautionary tale about people who suffer similar problems to me, whom it ended very badly for. For example a woman whom talked about her intrusive thoughts and she ended up under investigation by social services. I can't get my head around what he is trying to tell me. Is he telling me not to be open about my problem, because not everyone understands and it can lead to confusion and eventually trouble? Maybe i'm misunderstanding and he is just trying to relate his past cases to mine so he can understand my problems. I'm not sure if he is aware he ends up triggering more unhelpful worries, I suppose he doesn't mean to.
There's not really a question, it's been on my mind and just wondered if anybody had any thoughts.
Abigail.

em1
01-20-2014, 01:50 PM
Umm very strange why he would say that,did he tell you the outcome of the story's and what's the thoughts about?

NixonRulz
01-20-2014, 01:55 PM
Time for a new doc

If you're anxious, he should know not to feed you stories like that

That's just stupid

raggamuffin
01-20-2014, 01:58 PM
If you're not finding him an effective or helpful psychiatrist then it'd be best to find another. I know many people who, much like Dr's , had to visit many before they found the right one for them. I've had one therapist for CBT and I honestly didn't find her very effective in helping me with my anxiety. Certainly invaluable information but at the same time there felt like there wasn't a real connection in terms of her understanding my needs, no matter how open I was about anxieties, fears, depression etc.

Not sure if you're visiting one on the NHS. But certainly worth looking into finding another.

Ed

alankay
01-20-2014, 02:36 PM
A pdoc should never make any kind of subtle "predictions" or reference an outcomes like you mention. Anxious folks can be suggestive and very fearful and he should not talk about what your anxiety "may do" or what has happened to other totally different individuals. The exact details of my anxiety will be different from yours.....or maybe have similarities.....or not. He should not be going there unless you ask about a treatment he feels very wrong for you and a bad idea. He may be scaring you when he needs to reassure and comfort you. Alankay

Anxious Abi
01-20-2014, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the feedback.
I'm never sure what a normal experience with a professional is supposed to be. I always seem to leave feeling upset and or completely drained.
Apart from the cautionary tales, he seems to understand a little, what he can in 20 minutes. He says to carry on with the meds and CBT every time.
My CBT therapist she is lovely, really helpful.
But I still feel like I don't know much of anything about what I have been diagnosed with or the medication i'm on. Everybody here seems to have a lot of experience and or knowledge about their meds, I just don't have a clue.
I am treated on the NHS, and I'm scared of making a fuss to see someone else if i'm honest. I usually just nod and stare at the wall behind their heads for the most part.
I'm also tired of talking to them, the GP the therapists, on the one hand it helps to talk, to understand, on the other... yeah it's sucks arse.
I'm in babble mode, hope it makes sense!
Appreciate it.

Dahila
01-20-2014, 08:23 PM
Abi drop him, he is not good. Sometimes it takes time, to find the real doc. There are some of good docs. :))

Anxious Abi
01-20-2014, 08:27 PM
Hey Dahila, it seems everyone thinks the same. I will have to think about how I can find a good one.
Hope you're doing well :)

JLBnole68
01-21-2014, 12:37 AM
You need a new doc for sure. The point is to feel better, not hear stupid cautionary or anecdotal tales about his other clients. I think it's unethical. He shouldn't be sharing that stuff anyway. Ditch this quack and find a good doc.