PDA

View Full Version : How does anxiety manifest into physical symptoms?

MiST
01-18-2014, 01:58 AM
So anxiety is phsychological, it's a state of mind correct?

My question is how do we all feel physical symptoms? for example heart palpitations or the sensation of difficulty breathing..etc

Are these symptoms real or are they just in our minds? How does this all work?

I was reading this thread:
http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?8633-Techniques-I-Used-to-Overcome-My-Panic-Anxiety-Disorder

And they talk about ou nervous system being ultra-sensitized or turned up to high! is this accurate? As we learn to calm down our anxiety will decrease?

Is it our over active nervous system creating the physical symptoms?

Sorry for all the questions but i'm just a little confused between the mental and physical aspects.

Chatative
01-18-2014, 02:19 AM
My understanding is very basic, but I know many of the symptoms are certainly real.

When you get stressed your body releases larger amounts of Cortisol & Adrenaline which cause things like the rapid heart rate etc. but I'm sure you know that.

I'm not sure about the reason behind the difficulty breathing or being more aware of your heart, I guess those are more mental? Was that what you were meaning? Perhaps someone else can jump in here...

I would guess the fight or flight response includes increased awareness though.

ab123
01-18-2014, 02:23 AM
Wish I knew. This is my biggest problem, I feel like I've conquered the mental side...as far as thoughts. Unless it creates a physical symptom.

ab123
01-18-2014, 02:41 AM
What's hard for me. Is a have a minor heart thing. Not a big deal but my mind creates so many other physical symptoms I can't tell real...from anxiety. Its hard to deal with. If I take ativan I notice the symptoms I'm most frightened about dissapear....which really offers peace of mind..however...it's baffling to me that I can get the physical symptoms with no mental symptoms of anxiety first. The mental comes after the physical...does that make sense? Mist....o really feel like I relate to you.

JLBnole68
01-18-2014, 02:41 AM
I'm reading Hope and Help for Your Nerves by Dr. Claire Weekes right now. Highly recommend this book. She explains your question quite well. I love the conversational tone of it so far. Very easy to read and understand. It's helping me figure out a lot of things I didn't "get" about anxiety. The short answer is no, it's not all just in your mind. It has to do with the way your sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems are sending out impulses that trigger a lot of these symptoms or bodily reactions. Yes, it starts in the brain, but there's a whole network of stuff involved. BTW, the book is available in electronic format, too. You can purchase, download and start reading immediately if you'd like. I highly recommend.

ab123
01-18-2014, 02:49 AM
Jlb. ..what shall I call you? I will read that book...I've heard a lot about it.

JLBnole68
01-18-2014, 02:53 AM
Seriously. A lot of books are full of complex b.s. that leaves you scratching your head, more confused. This lady knows how to write in a clear, easy to understand way. She's very well renowned in the field of treating anxiety. Well worth a read. I'm really excited about it. Not finished yet. I'm reading it slowly and taking notes. I really want to absorb what she has to say. -Jeff

em1
01-18-2014, 02:55 AM
I've got that book to tho I'm reading another one at the moment but I will be reading it after :)

JLBnole68
01-18-2014, 02:59 AM
I've got that book to tho I'm reading another one at the moment but I will be reading it after :)

Awesome! You won't be sorry. You can tell she's sympathetic to all the crap you've dealt with. It's not just a clinical, sterile read. I guess it's comforting and hopeful. That's what I like so far.

em1
01-18-2014, 03:02 AM
The book I'm reading at the moment is called the imp of the mind,exploring the silent epidemic of the obsessive bad thoughts
It's so good I would highly recommend it

ab123
01-18-2014, 03:04 AM
Jeff , I immediately started reading it on my tablet...I love it so far.

JLBnole68
01-18-2014, 03:14 AM
The book I'm reading at the moment is called the imp of the mind,exploring the silent epidemic of the obsessive bad thoughts
It's so good I would highly recommend it
I will put that on my reading list. Thanks!

NixonRulz
01-18-2014, 03:14 AM
I'm not sure if it was that particular book, but I had one of her books on audio

Even her voice was soothing

She was like Superman, er, uh I mean woman. You get what I'm sayin!

That lady got the message through to me

JLBnole68
01-18-2014, 03:15 AM

Sweet! Let me know what you think. So far, I love this lady. She rocks. She has videos on YouTube and a Facebook page as well.

JLBnole68
01-18-2014, 03:27 AM
I'm not sure if it was that particular book, but I had one of her books on audio

Even her voice was soothing

She was like Superman, er, uh I mean woman. You get what I'm sayin!

That lady got the message through to mei do! I may have to get her audio books to listen to.

Paul N Lauren
01-18-2014, 04:38 AM
very well said forwells. hit the nail right on the head. life changes can be the first step to try, diet , sleep, and removing negative things can be a good start. meds are not always a must, but will help. meds are not a life longe thing. you can get better and come off meds. but, if the same things in your life still exist, then most likely the anxiety will come back in a matter of time. just my view aslo

rhar
01-18-2014, 09:58 PM

Where did u buy it from? Can u get it on your iPhone?

JLBnole68
01-18-2014, 10:06 PM
Where did u buy it from? Can u get it on your iPhone?
Yes, I purchased it through iBooks app and I'm reading it on my iPad.

rhar
01-18-2014, 10:07 PM
Yes, I purchased it through iBooks app and I'm reading it on my iPad.

I can't find it on iBooks :(

rhar
01-18-2014, 10:10 PM
Found it. I had to change to the US store :)

JLBnole68
01-18-2014, 10:12 PM
Found it. I had to change to the US store :)
Awesome! Yeah, I was gonna say I just rechecked and it's still there available to download. Hope it helps! It's helping me. Let me know what you think.

alexmc
01-18-2014, 10:38 PM
Wish I knew. This is my biggest problem, I feel like I've conquered the mental side...as far as thoughts. Unless it creates a physical symptom.

The key for me and I hope for you too is this.

I think your statement is right, at least 95% :) ..

If your thoughts create a minor physical problem then you need to know that it is OK.. I promise :) .. Panic or Anxiety attacks never killed anyone. It is there to really protect you against danger (whether present or falsely perceived). Yes, it feels bad/scary but remember it's the same feeling you have after getting off a roller coaster.

Therefore if you start to feel the physical symptoms please try the following in order.
1. You feel physical symptoms

a) it is ok that I feel this way. There is NOTHING to worry about. I know why I feel this why. It can't hurt me. The feeling is normal because of the fight or flight theory. (these thoughts will cut the refueling of more anxious thoughts)

b) Change the "what if' thought that caused these symptoms to a "So what if" thought. eg What if I there is a traffic jam!!!??!?! >>> So what if there is a traffic jam :)

c) Breathe in through your stomach, ensure your stomach expands when inhaling. Breathe out slowly through your mouth. This will help relief the physical symptoms along with your positive reinforcement thoughts above

d) I am not going crazy, this is exactly what I learned. I am not in danger and breathing like I have practiced will put out my fears.

I can honestly say that once I was not afraid of panic attacks they never came back.. Knowledge on why they come, they will no last long, how to stop fueling them, and how to breathe if they did come was the key for me and I hope for you too

rhar
01-18-2014, 10:48 PM
But what if you no longer have panic attacks but rather you have the physical symptoms all day, every day??

alexmc
01-18-2014, 11:16 PM
[QUOTE=rhar;148946]But what if you no longer have panic attacks but rather you have the physical symptoms all day, every day??[/QUOTE

Can you please explain what you feel in a little more detail?

rhar
01-19-2014, 12:29 AM
Weird vision and feeling off balance and kind of dizzy but not - hard to explain. And feel dreamy

rhar
01-19-2014, 12:33 AM
I live in fear that I will pass out

alexmc
01-19-2014, 11:02 AM
Weird vision and feeling off balance and kind of dizzy but not - hard to explain. And feel dreamy

No need to explain further. To someone who has been through this before (me) I know what you mean.

My first attack was when I went to Chicago for business, I lived in Australia. I didn't know what it was and thought I was going crazy. The days after I was not myself and felt like I was in a dream. I was so spaced out the I missed my flight back to Australia even though I was at the gate.!!

Feeling dreamy and spacey is normal especially after having an episode. It primarily is the left over adrenaline (and one other chemical) your brain shoots out when you are having anxiety or panic attack.

Honestly the best thing for me was running. I am not an athlete nor do I do any cardio exercises but running got my heart beat up and seemed to burn off the left over 'junk' in my body after my anxiety attack. At least a 15 minute run and I would get my heart at around 140 bpm.. Without a lie it did a world of good. It is true when they say "healthy body = healthy mind"

Also remember that feeling like you are going to pass out is a common symptom. All you have to remember is to focus on your breathing, in through the nose down to your belly (it should expand when inhaling) and exhale slowly out your mouth.. I challenge you to count how often you catch yourself breathing through your chest instead of belly.. Breathing properly is really important because it helps relax your mind.

One last thing, try not to worry about passing out. I am not a Dr but I was told by one when I was going through the same thing that it is only a symptom, and make it worse if you worry about passing out bcuz it fuels another anxiety/panic attack. See the vicious circle your thoughts can get you in.