PDA

View Full Version : Rooibos - the wonder drink!

Chatative
01-13-2014, 10:05 AM
Hey Guys,

We all like our hot drinks but Tea & Coffee, if caffeinated, can exacerbate anxiety.

That's why I thought I'd introduce you guys to Rooibos if you haven't heard of it already. It's a South African tea, "Red Bush", that is naturally caffeine free & low in tannins. I was introduced to it by my Grandpa who lived in South Africa many years ago... since then it seems to have become popular.

It has many health benefits beyond being caffeine free & low in tannins however. It can help with anxiety, help ease tension headaches & can help with unsettled stomachs.

I'd really recommend it to everyone regardless of whether they have anxiety problems or not!

It tastes great either with a tiny drop of milk or a piece of lemon.

jessed03
01-13-2014, 10:21 AM
What's the taste like? Does it taste like any other thing/tea you can think of?

I may give this a try, I'm coming to the end of my lime leaf tea batch

Chatative
01-13-2014, 10:21 AM
Yeah, I'm not sure when it first became popular in the UK but back when I first tried it in 1996, we had to go out of our way to source it. These days it is in every reasonable sized supermarket.

I would have thought it'd be available in Ireland if it's in the UK.

It's definitely increasing in popularity - I've even seen it being offered in some Restaurants.

I quite like drinking it before bedtime.

Chatative
01-13-2014, 10:28 AM
What's the taste like? Does it taste like any other thing/tea you can think of?

I may give this a try, I'm coming to the end of my lime leaf tea batch

It is quite a mild flavour with a sort of natural sweetness. I wouldn't go as far as to call it sweet though. You'll have to try it for yourself!

The flavour can vary depending on what brand you buy. I really like the one by the Redbush Tea Company. It tastes identical to the Rooibos I tried at a Rooibos Plantation whilst over in SA. According to them: "Rooibos has a refreshing taste, almost nutty but full bodied and very delicious."

I tried one the other day that had something else in with it; I couldn't quite place it but I didn't like it. Don't be put off if you try one brand that isn't to your taste... it's a very mild & pleasant taste if it's up to scratch!

jessed03
01-13-2014, 10:39 AM
Ok cool, they're usually the types of teas I like. Mild flavour with a hint of sweetness. I just found out I have celiac disease recently. An anxiety easing, stomach settling tea sounds quite nice.

I'll try and pick some up and report back!

Chatative
01-13-2014, 11:01 AM
Oh, another interesting fact.

As tannin is what gives tea it's bitter taste, you can quite happily leave your Rooibos steeping for 5 minutes to make it as flavoursome as possible.

I actually once drank some once that had (accidentally) steeped for 15 minutes - I had to put it in the microwave to warm it up though ;)

vonnhelsing
01-13-2014, 11:10 AM
I had rooibos tea today. Absolutely amazing. One of the best tasting teas ive ever tried.

jessed03
01-13-2014, 11:14 AM
I had rooibos tea today. Absolutely amazing. One of the best tasting teas ive ever tried.

Ooo now we're talking!

Where do you pick yours up Chatterz, supermarket or health store? Is it good quality in supermarkets?

em1
01-13-2014, 11:18 AM
Oh this sounds good I will have to look out for it :)

jessed03
01-13-2014, 11:21 AM
Oh this sounds good I will have to look out for it :)

Next time you're at Westfield, you can buy me one :)

em1
01-13-2014, 11:25 AM
Next time you're at Westfield, you can buy me one :)

Your on lol :)

MiST
01-13-2014, 11:26 AM
Nice, but how do you pronounce it?

Roob..Robo..Roybos.. what?

Meh, i give up!

Cup o decaf PG! LOL

Chatative
01-13-2014, 11:26 AM

Viva la revolución! :D

@ MiST - ROY-BOSS - simples.

vonnhelsing
01-13-2014, 11:27 AM
Chatterz : p heheh

Rhore
01-15-2014, 03:45 PM
Yeah rooibos tea is very good indeed! They are a very common drink in my country as well and there are all sorts of varieties too! There's regular, but also with cinnamon, lemon, peach, spices, anise... But my favourite is Rooibos honey! In case you can't find this flavour, i suggest adding some honey to it yourself. Makes it a bit sweeter but oh so good for a hot caffeinefree baverage!

Also, people say rooibos contains antioxidants, which is good, but as a bonus a tinyyy amount of calcium and iron too! Having read this forum enough I'm sure people wouldnt mind some extra calcium for their vitamin D absorbtion.

Ok. I might just pour myself another mug just now :D

Dahila
01-15-2014, 03:51 PM
I was drinking it for 3-4 years, everyday, and it did not help my anxiety a bit:( it kept me sleem though and my cholersterol was pretty good. It is not miracle tea :(
It is worth to try, at least it does not harm. It helps with the weight loss

Chatative
01-16-2014, 01:32 AM
I was drinking it for 3-4 years, everyday, and it did not help my anxiety a bit. it kept me sleem though and my cholersterol was pretty good. It is not miracle tea.
It is worth to try, at least it does not harm. It helps with the weight loss

Nothing is a miracle cure unfortunately. :(

It just happens to be caffeine free & has other benefits as you say.

Interesting to hear that it didn't help with you anxiety - I can't really attest to that. There is a lot of hype saying it is but maybe it's just the result of a very successful marketing campaign :p

It has definitely helped me with headaches & unsettled stomachs though!

Regardless of all that, it tastes great :D

jessed03
01-27-2014, 02:28 PM
How you doing Chattz?

Just picked my Rooibos, gonna eat then have some before bed.

Will report back!