PDA

View Full Version : Serotonin syndrome

janisrock
02-13-2008, 09:57 AM
Does anyone have experience with Serotonin Syndrome? I recently posted a comment about horrific adverse reactions to starting SSRI's (within 12 hours of taking my first dose). These included chills, sweating, twitching, dilated pupils, overly stimulated and increase anxiety to full panic attacks. Most things i've read about this syndrome is if you mix SSRIs or other MOIAs. I've never read anything about just one dose of the med. I've taken Zoloft before, 10 years ago, and never had this reaction. But i have reacted this way to Zoloft as well as Paxil. My doctor thinks he may try me on Well-butrin, as it does not affect serotonin, but other nuerotransmitters. But i'm not depressed at all- just anxious. I'm scared to take any meds now to be honest because of the horrific effects. I'm feeling better now that i'm off the meds- within 24 hours in fact of being off of them. Any advice or a similar situation to bring me some comfort?

gaugreg1x
02-13-2008, 11:20 AM
I am on Wellbutrin for depression. If anything, it has significantly increased my anxiety.
Greg

SuperMegaRichard
02-14-2008, 12:46 AM
As I said before I went to the hospital because of it. Are you positive you didn't mix any herbal or vitamin supplements with it?

saskykitty
02-14-2008, 01:25 AM
Ok please tell me which vitamins not to mix with the medicine. Why did you land in hospital? what symptoms did you have?

Alexcambridge
02-14-2008, 03:20 PM
Watch out for hidden MAOIs like passiflora (passionflower). Always read the label if you're going to be mixing anything pharmacologically active. I had a scare because I drank a beer at a restaurant last night whilst I've been taking passiflora for a few days - The label says "do not mix with alcohol". Obviously nothing actually happened to me, I just had a silent and well-controlled anxiety attack over dinner lol.

The moral of the story is ALWAYS read the label of anything you take, especially if it is something prescribed (likely to be more powerful).

SuperMegaRichard
02-14-2008, 04:35 PM
I took a tryptophan tablet. That was about the only thing in my system for that day. So I believe it was a mix of Zoloft 50mg and that tablet.

I was taking lexapro but that gave me some pretty nasty muscle twitches which I am still having. Looks like I am going to have to conquer anxiety the old fashion way. Eat right, healthy diet, finding ways to release stress, and good ole will power.