PDA

View Full Version : Distaction

Lord Jazzinho
01-11-2014, 09:17 PM
I was just wondering if anyone has an interests or hobbies they wanted to talk about. I've found that this is an easy way to break this ice in conversations but more important pursuing hobbies, interests and learning new things was a good distraction. I was in the house for 12 years and its nice to be able to say that at least I was able to use some of that productively

MiST
01-11-2014, 09:46 PM
Nice idea for a thread..:D

My main hobby, which is also now my profession is music production. At last count i have learned to play 39 musical instruments, none of which i claim to have mastered. At 15 i was invited to attend one of the UK's most prestigious music universitys when i had finished my schooling but i developed Cancer and was unable to attend.

I bought a cheap PC and used some free software from the DVD of a music magazine to start learning digital music creation and taught myself computer based synthesis and audio mastering.

I had a friend who was heavily into game development and i offered to work on the audio side of things for him, as it turned out his project was featured in a popular PC gaming magazine and his game actually got published in 1999.

I got hooked up with the internet around the same time and started working freelance providing stock music and audio assets for company presentations and advertising.

I tought myself how to code HTML/CSS and Javascript and built a website in order to gain a web presence and started offering my services to more people. I provided the audio on a few indie movies, none of which made it anywhere past the initial screening and discovered that it was a bit of a saturated market with to many big names to compete with and i was self taught, people like to see qualifications on paper no matter how suitable a person may be for the job.

Anyway, i got chatting with a guy who was working on a new PC game and it came to be that i ended up creating the sound FX for the game along with another guy.

It was my first collaborative project with another sound engineer.

The game did well enough and i was credited and i was contacted by a large independent game development studio.

I was offered a position as sound engineer and worked my way up to lead audio architect. I now work within a team with three other very talented people and have to date worked on around 17 projects with the studio, 5 of which i think would be very well known to any gamers on here..;)

Recently i have been working more with mobile devices, iPad, iPhone and Android devices aswell as the new generation of systems PS4 and X1.

My other hobbies are web design and development, graphic design, gaming and cooking.

My interests include fitness, cats and spirituality.

But yea, music is my passion.

Lord Jazzinho
01-11-2014, 09:51 PM
I play guitar but it sounds like you have been far more productive than I have I tend to go for lots of different things but PC's yes Cats yes Music defiantly and youtube vids. Studio 5 I've heard of yes what were the games?

Lord Jazzinho
01-11-2014, 09:54 PM
And one more question how did you get that profile pic as there doest seem to be a way to put one up

MiST
01-11-2014, 10:00 PM
At the top of the page:

Settings/My Settings/Edit Avatar

Dorrie23
01-11-2014, 10:35 PM
Mist, 39 musical Instruments!! Now that is impressive. I enjoyed reading the whole thing you wrote. Good for you, my friend. Good for you. It's nice to know someone who actually enjoys what they do. I always always wanted to learn how to play the Piano, and the Flute. But never got the opportunity. I too, enjoy cats. My little guy wanted one for Christmas, and my husband has a cat with it's own room, where he works, that had four kittens. So... we got him one, but he's undoubtedly loved by us all. He sleeps with me. Well, I just wanted to tell you how impressed I was to read all of that about you. Very Interesting read. Take care you. Dorrie

Dorrie23
01-11-2014, 10:44 PM
I agree with Mist... Nice Idea for a thread. Hang around. D

MiST
01-11-2014, 10:49 PM
Mist, 39 musical Instruments!! Now that is impressive. I enjoyed reading the whole thing you wrote. Good for you, my friend. Good for you. It's nice to know someone who actually enjoys what they do. I always always wanted to learn how to play the Piano, and the Flute. But never got the opportunity. I too, enjoy cats. My little guy wanted one for Christmas, and my husband has a cat with it's own room, where he works, that had four kittens. So... we got him one, but he's undoubtedly loved by us all. He sleeps with me. Well, I just wanted to tell you how impressed I was to read all of that about you. Very Interesting read. Take care you. Dorrie

Thanks Dorrie..:D

Cats are wonderful company aren't they? My little tabby is called "Mustard" because he's that colour..:D He's such an adorable little thing and makes me so happy.

If you live anywhere near me, come on round and i'll teach you to play the Flute and the Piano..

I teach guitar classes here at a local community hall, nothing fancy, mainly youngsters starting out, it seems the guitar will forever be the "Cool" instrument..hehe

But i enjoy it, i also teach piano to a lady who lives near me who suffers from Alzheimers, she used to play in her youth but now due to her condition cannot get to play much. So i go round once a week and we jam together and i'll tell you, for a woman in her seventies she can still play a mean piano.

Dorrie23
01-11-2014, 11:02 PM
That is so sweet. Both of my older guys loves playing the guitar. I'm a huge lover of music. Several different kinds. Not one in particular. My little boy named his kitten "Jack"!! We have no idea why, but that is what he chose, and the kitten already knows his name. He was still five weeks old when we got him. But eating already, and everything. He no more got home Mist, and was asking if he could go get the rest of them. Four total!! We were like... NOT!!!! He has the biggest little heart, but just doesn't understand the upkeep of them. Twas too funny, I tell you!!! Talk to you later. Dorrie. p.s. I love "Mustard". Now that's unique!!!

Lord Jazzinho
01-12-2014, 08:39 AM
Things like writing music and video games (when they are good) making videos playing with cats etc have the potential to be completely absorbing and in that sense they can remove all other thoughts so it pays to focus on these things when you are struggling I found.

MiST
01-12-2014, 08:44 AM
Things like writing music and video games (when they are good) making videos playing with cats etc have the potential to be completely absorbing and in that sense they can remove all other thoughts so it pays to focus on these things when you are struggling I found.

It's not all it's cracked up to be.iv'e been here at work for 29 hours straight correcting someone elses fuck up..i can barely type i'm so tired..and still about 5 hours to go..

Lord Jazzinho
01-18-2014, 11:25 AM
It's not all it's cracked up to be.iv'e been here at work for 29 hours straight correcting someone elses fuck up..i can barely type i'm so tired..and still about 5 hours to go..

Is that not work though? When its a job its something different again but I bet the only thoughts you had in that time are firstly concentrating on what you are doing secondly cursing the idiot that made the mistake thirdly cursing your computer for something, fourthly miscellaneous musings and fifthly probably the most predominating reoccurring thought How much bloody longer

Lord Jazzinho
01-18-2014, 06:26 PM
Just realised I spelled Distraction wrong lol. I must have been distracted.