PDA

View Full Version : New Member Introduction

WantOut
11-02-2005, 07:42 AM
Hello, I'm a new member and am not sure how this works but, am definately willing to give it a try! I'm 43 and a single mother of 4, two of whom are already out and on their own. I have two teenagers still at home so am always busy!I've been diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder with agoraphobia and am tired of not being able to go where I want to without having a "safe person" with me!!! Anybody got any hint's on how to overcome this disorder? Until 2 years ago I was a very independent person and would and did come and go as I felt the urge. Then we were in a F4 tornado which destroyed our home town and we had to relocate, then I lost my beloved Grandmother who was the only person in my life I ever knew was on my side 100% no matter what. As if that wasn't enough I was working with mentally handicapped client's with an agency that helped them to live on their own and one of my clilent's tried to kill me. Well, needless to say that was the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back!! I am on medication for the depression and have made huge strides since last November when I tried to commit suicide but, still have the panic attacks and have to wait to figure out each day just what kind of day it is. I am so tired of not being the strong independent person I used to be and hopefully having other people to talk to that might actually understand will help me!!! Hope I haven't bored all of you to much with my story but, I REALLY want to get over this and get my life back!!

brickyard_red
11-02-2005, 09:15 AM
Welcome WantOut! I'm very glad that you found your way to this forum. :)

I think you have every right to be feeling the way you are right now. Wow, you have been through alot there. It is very encouraging to hear though that you are going to a dr. and ware working with them. We all here can be a "support group" of sorts, but it is the dr. and you working together that I think will be the most beneficial for you.

I'm sure you have found out by now that there is no "quick fix" out there for agoraphobia, but it can be over come and learned to be dealt with. It's not the end of the world, you will get better little steps at a time. :) And we will be here to listen and help you out any way we can. There are many here that relate to not being able to get out of the house on their own without that "safe" person with them. :wink: Hang in there, it will get better.

Cath :)

arachnid
11-22-2005, 07:14 AM
Hi WantOut, glad you are here!