PDA

View Full Version : Not in a good way...

Ashlee13x
01-08-2014, 07:14 AM
So was randomly sitting at my desk and I felt the feelings I normally feel when i'm going to have a panic attack so I took myself to the toilet to calm myself down. I managed to calm myself down but the panic attacks keep coming and going and i'm managing to control them so I don't have a full blown panic attack but i'm feeling really really horrible!! I feel shakey, light-headed, hot, sick, hearts beating really fast, shortness of breath...Also, when I feel like this, i start scratching and pinching my skin without realising i'm doing it!!!

Help anyone? This is really horrible!! and i'm at work so I can't go home.

em1
01-08-2014, 08:04 AM
This will pass,I know it's scary and I know the feeling are so bad but you will be ok, breathe slowly,the feelings will pass,do you know why you have them?

Ashlee13x
01-08-2014, 08:07 AM
I think because i'm not feeling well today, subconciously I kept thinking that I don't want to have a panic attack and its just happened out of no where.. I do feel a bit better now, feel really tired though, I want to go home and sleep it off!

mattharlow88
01-08-2014, 08:22 AM
That's exactly how I feel Ashlee it's terrible! Hope your ok now x

Ashlee13x
01-08-2014, 08:29 AM
It's really horrible! I'm a bit better now thanks, how are you?x

mattharlow88
01-08-2014, 08:32 AM
I'm feeling a lot better, feel so tired now thought it drains me being so anxious x

Ashlee13x
01-08-2014, 08:36 AM
I feel the exact same!! What time do you finish work??

If you ever need a chat, feel free to inbox me!

reneek
01-08-2014, 08:43 AM
Ashlee, get your mind busy on something else. I know that obsessive thought pattern with panic attacks. You need to change your thoughts to other things, or just get your mind really busy so you don't have time to think about it. Also, panic attacks are exhausting! Take deep breaths and try to have positive thoughts. I don't know how else to help other than this. When you are at work, those are the worst. You don't want anyone to see you, and yet you feel like screaming. Just go hour by hour...get through one hour and tell yourself it is one hour closer to going home.

Hope it all settles down for you.

Ashlee13x
01-08-2014, 08:49 AM
Thanks reneek... I am feeling better now!! I've got CBT tonight for the first time which i'm really looking forward too... hopefully I can take away something tonight from the session!!

Hope you're okay!

reneek
01-08-2014, 08:56 AM
I'm doing good today Ashlee, thanks for the support. What may I ask is CBT?

Ashlee13x
01-08-2014, 09:04 AM
Good, I am glad you're having a good day! Its cognitive behavial therapy... it targets what the cause is, triggers, when an attack happens, how to control it etc. Its my first one tonight so not too sure what to expect!

mommy.n
01-08-2014, 09:08 AM
Let us know how it goes Ashley :) goodluck

Ashlee13x
01-08-2014, 09:09 AM
Thank you!! Will do :)

bittersweetgirl
01-08-2014, 09:24 AM
Good luck, and I'm glad you're better. I had an anxiety attack (not panic) at almost exactly the same time this morning. I took meds, but not after crying and getting angry and doing everything that I don't want to do. So tired of it. I know what triggered it, but that doesn't really help. I know what I need to personally do is notice what's happening, take the anxiety meds, lock my phone away so I don't send angry texts to people (seriously!), and wait 15 min for meds to kick in and hopefully rational thoughts too. I really think there's something about that first 15 minutes that's key - find a distraction that can stop the attack in its tracks. Or meds, in my case. Best wishes!!

Ashlee13x
01-08-2014, 09:30 AM
What is the difference between a panic attack or anxiety attack?? Ahh noo, really sorry that sucks! I think anxiety can make people do strange stuff, probably the fear that you're feeling is making you angry!! I completely agree though, the first 15 minutes of an attack are key... lately, i've managed to control my attacks and they don't break out into full blown attacks... but it still makes me feel like absolute rubbish!! Maybe try another methos instead of the meds... when you are having one or about to have one, find something to do to distract you or meditate or even just sit there with your eyes closed and not move a muscle! it helps!!

All the best!

cara85
01-08-2014, 02:48 PM
So was randomly sitting at my desk and I felt the feelings I normally feel when i'm going to have a panic attack so I took myself to the toilet to calm myself down. I managed to calm myself down but the panic attacks keep coming and going and i'm managing to control them so I don't have a full blown panic attack but i'm feeling really really horrible!! I feel shakey, light-headed, hot, sick, hearts beating really fast, shortness of breath...Also, when I feel like this, i start scratching and pinching my skin without realising i'm doing it!!! Help anyone? This is really horrible!! and i'm at work so I can't go home.

Hi. I know it's horrible and I was the same when I worked at a big well known company I won't name. They were not helpful at all. Hopefully if you talk to a manger u trust, you may feel more relaxed being there. At the moment with my attacks I try not to fight it. I sit there and let it wash over me. I found that it's over quicker that way. Have u ever tried it ? No matter what though it will get better xx

bittersweetgirl
01-09-2014, 03:16 PM
What is the difference between a panic attack or anxiety attack?? Ahh noo, really sorry that sucks! I think anxiety can make people do strange stuff, probably the fear that you're feeling is making you angry!! I completely agree though, the first 15 minutes of an attack are key... lately, i've managed to control my attacks and they don't break out into full blown attacks... but it still makes me feel like absolute rubbish!! Maybe try another methos instead of the meds... when you are having one or about to have one, find something to do to distract you or meditate or even just sit there with your eyes closed and not move a muscle! it helps!!

All the best!

Thanks Ashlee!! I'm definitely going to try another method - I like the idea of just sitting with my eyes closed. I've tried vigorous exercise when at home, and that makes it worse. I think the difference between anxiety and panic attacks is that anxiety is in reaction to a specific known trigger and there's no fear of dying or passing out or whatever. Panic attacks (from what I've heard) seem to sometimes come on unexpectedly and involve some fears of physical danger. I'm no expert ;) - that's just what I've figured out. My docs have said what I have are anxiety attacks. Something happens (like sudden bad news or a disappointment), and I lose it.

Ashlee13x
01-10-2014, 05:16 AM
Hi. I know it's horrible and I was the same when I worked at a big well known company I won't name. They were not helpful at all. Hopefully if you talk to a manger u trust, you may feel more relaxed being there. At the moment with my attacks I try not to fight it. I sit there and let it wash over me. I found that it's over quicker that way. Have u ever tried it ? No matter what though it will get better xx

Thanks Cara. Everyone knows I suffer from anxiety because I am quite open about it! But they don't know how bad it has been. I try and hide it from them because I don't want them to think I am uncapable of working, because I really am!! If I have an attack, I'll just take myself off to the toilet, sit with my head in my hands and do some deep breating and re-assure myself it's just a panic attack!! Everyone is different though so if you have found something that works for you, go with it!! Yes, positive mental attitude is key! xx

Ashlee13x
01-10-2014, 05:19 AM
Thanks Ashlee!! I'm definitely going to try another method - I like the idea of just sitting with my eyes closed. I've tried vigorous exercise when at home, and that makes it worse. I think the difference between anxiety and panic attacks is that anxiety is in reaction to a specific known trigger and there's no fear of dying or passing out or whatever. Panic attacks (from what I've heard) seem to sometimes come on unexpectedly and involve some fears of physical danger. I'm no expert ;) - that's just what I've figured out. My docs have said what I have are anxiety attacks. Something happens (like sudden bad news or a disappointment), and I lose it.

It may take a few methods to find which one works for you but there are soo many and i'm sure everyone has different ways of coping!! Yeah, I guess because of all the adreneline already going throught your body, exercise may make it worse - not too sure!!! Ohh okay, thank you! Mine are definitely panic attacks then because in bad situations, I won't react straight away, I stay strong but it kicks in later and I don't let it out and I think thats probably one of the reasons for my anxiety!

If you ever feel like you're gonna lose it and need someone to get your anger out and yell at, feel free to inbox me!! It's okay, I can take it! hahahaha!!

bittersweetgirl
01-11-2014, 12:18 PM
Thanks Ashlee!! I can be a handful, so you might be in for it ;). Same goes for you - contact me anytime!!