PDA

View Full Version : Psychologist

shaggy82
02-11-2008, 04:35 PM
Hi again.
I see a psychologist for my anxiety. We are starting the CBT now, but i really dont like her. She keeps forgetting what we allready have talked about, and she shows no understanding at all that this is hard for me. And i know that therapist are suppose to ask questions that lead to me finding the answer. But all she says is "can you think of anything else on that subject?". - and i would surely tell her in the first place if there was, no?
So im confused, and feel like we are going no where. My progress was made when i finally went to a psychologist for my problem. After that - no progress. We just talk about the same thing every time, and like allways - i cant answer.
Today i couldnt take it anymore and the following happened:
Psychologist: "Can you think of anything spesific that triggers the anxiety?"
me: "Uhm... well.. as i told you last week, there is nothing spesific that triggers it. If i am allready feeling bad, however, i can stay away from certain things, like driving far away etc"
Psychologist: "Yes, but it important that we focus on the things you are afraid of"
me: "Yes i know that.. but there is nothing spesific. If there was something spesific, i could practise on my own, you see?"
Psychologist: "Ok, but we only have 45 min every lesson, so its important that we focus. (me sighing in the background) What can you tell me about when you feel bad?"
me: "UGH! I feel bad often. On my own, alone, watching tv, taking a shower.. anything can trigger it. But nothing special. I dont know what you expect me to say. I feel like you want me to say and know something im not saying or knowing. And im telling you all i know..."
Psychologist: "Yes, but its important to maintain focus and not wonder off into everything else. We need to make like a staircase, the small problems first and then step by step along the stairs"
me: "yes i know that behavioral exercise is a part of this. But i have nothing to practise on, because there isnt anything spesific that makes me feel anxious! (that i know)

And on and on it goes. I have never been to a psychologist before, so i dont know what its suppose to be like. But if you guys tell me this is normal, i will continue. Or else, i will change therapist. (i really hope you think she's a son a .... goat :D

Robbed
02-12-2008, 07:22 AM
I guess it's normal in the sense that most psychologists just don't know how to deal with anxiety. Or really know what anxiety is all about. Many psychologists seem to know nothing more than how to deal with phobic anxiety (ie fear of specific things). Also, MANY psychologists only know traditional CBT methods. Neither of these are very helpful when it coes to the kind of free-floating anxiety that you seem to be experiencing. Indeed, traditional CBT can EXACERBATE such anxiety, as it tends to stress you out as you fruitlessly search for reasons and triggers for your anxiety. As for this therapist, my recommendation is to dump this person. This person CLEARLY cannot help you, and can possibly make you feel worse (while draining you of your money). Find someone who knows how to deal with anxiety (preferably someone who has actually dealt with it personally). Also, consider some good self-help books. The books by Claire Weekes are actually quite good when it comes to dealing with non-phobic, free-floating anxiety.

chanel07
02-12-2008, 03:36 PM
I guess it's normal in the sense that most psychologists just don't know how to deal with anxiety. Or really know what anxiety is all about. Many psychologists seem to know nothing more than how to deal with phobic anxiety (ie fear of specific things). Also, MANY psychologists only know traditional CBT methods. Neither of these are very helpful when it coes to the kind of free-floating anxiety that you seem to be experiencing. Indeed, traditional CBT can EXACERBATE such anxiety, as it tends to stress you out as you fruitlessly search for reasons and triggers for your anxiety. As for this therapist, my recommendation is to dump this person. This person CLEARLY cannot help you, and can possibly make you feel worse (while draining you of your money). Find someone who knows how to deal with anxiety (preferably someone who has actually dealt with it personally). Also, consider some good self-help books. The books by Claire Weekes are actually quite good when it comes to dealing with non-phobic, free-floating anxiety.

I agree.

I am currently working on getting my Psy.D in clinical/research psychology and want to help people who are currently suffering from it. I went through anxiety and know what needs to be done. The jibberish the teach in school is based on theory and not by someone who has gone through it.

Robbed
02-12-2008, 05:07 PM
Here's something else to consider. If all of your fears were caused by easily identifiable triggers, then you would not really have an anxiety problem as such. In other words, if your anxiety problem was of the nature that your psychologist says, then you would unlikely need a psychologist! As for the theory that they learn, it DEFINITELY seems like it is based on fear as you would experience it WITHOUT anxiety disorder, and therein lies the problem. It also explains why people with no formal training in psychology can often give better advice to anxiety sufferers than psychologists.

One more thing. This also explains why psychologists seem to be SO pshy about getting their patients to see a psychiatrist to get on medication ASAP. I guess they probably figure that medication might make you feel SOMEWHAT better so that you won't consider 'therapy' to be a complete waste of time.

chanel07
02-12-2008, 05:13 PM
Here's something else to consider. If all of your fears were caused by easily identifiable triggers, then you would not really have an anxiety problem as such. In other words, if your anxiety problem was of the nature that your psychologist says, then you would unlikely need a psychologist! As for the theory that they learn, it DEFINITELY seems like it is based on fear as you would experience it WITHOUT anxiety disorder, and therein lies the problem. It also explains why people with no formal training in psychology can often give better advice to anxiety sufferers than psychologists.

One more thing. This also explains why psychologists seem to be SO pshy about getting their patients to see a psychiatrist to get on medication ASAP. I guess they probably figure that medication might make you feel SOMEWHAT better so that you won't consider 'therapy' to be a complete waste of time.

Well said.

There are psychologists out there that actually went through anxiety. I recommend you ask to switch psychologists and see if they have anyone who has experienced anxiety.