PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Can antibiotics cause anxiety and panick attacks?

kcladyz
01-07-2014, 06:40 PM
My anxiety been out of control. I been to the ER twice last week and it was all anxiety induced. I can not happen to notice it all started when I got ear/sinus infection( thanksgiving)taking augmentin then Levofloxacin when augmentin did not work. I am on day 10 of a 14 day supply of Levofloxacin and since 5-10 day is the typical dosing ( not to mention the ER doctor mentioned i was over perscribed) i am going to stop the medication.

How often is anxiety and panick associated with this antibiotic and how long does it take to beel better after you stop taking the antibiotic? I heard some internet chatter on this causing anxiety and panic.
Can anyone share experiences?

lexiii
01-07-2014, 06:48 PM
Antibiotics generally shouldn't cause anxiety

SSMommy
01-07-2014, 08:31 PM
Everyone's body is different but many sites tend to suggest that it is possible :)

http://www.adaa.org/living-with-anxiety/ask-and-learn/ask-expert/can-antibiotics-increase-anxiety-symptoms

Blessed
01-07-2014, 08:37 PM
My anxiety been out of control. I been to the ER twice last week and it was all anxiety induced. I can not happen to notice it all started when I got ear/sinus infection( thanksgiving)taking augmentin then Levofloxacin when augmentin did not work. I am on day 10 of a 14 day supply of Levofloxacin and since 5-10 day is the typical dosing ( not to mention the ER doctor mentioned i was over perscribed) i am going to stop the medication. How often is anxiety and panick associated with this antibiotic and how long does it take to beel better after you stop taking the antibiotic? I heard some internet chatter on this causing anxiety and panic. Can anyone share experiences?everyone reacts differently to different meds but it has been my personal experience to have increased anxiety/panic episodes while on antibiotics. I have had to switch antibiotics several times due to this .Best of luck to you!

alfred24
01-08-2014, 01:34 AM
Well from what I've learned, the only that causes anxiety is our own mind. When we say that something caused our anxiety I think it means that something happened and we went into a panic because of it.

SSMommy
01-08-2014, 05:57 AM
There are absolutely physical things that can happen to your body that cause anxiety. For example - hormonal imbalance such as lack of enough testosterone in a man or progesterone in a female can cause anxiety. Sure - people who tend to he anxious tend to get more anxious over the issues these cause (unease, irritability, jitteriness, brain fog, and tachy) but anxiety doesn't alway equal panic. I know this from personal experience. Physical stimuli and experience and actual medical issues irritate anxiety but they can also cause anxiety in someone that has never experienced before. We can all call anxiety by the word it's called but it's really a broad set of symptoms that overlap many other physical ailments. Part of understanding is making sure we have checked ourselves out with a GOOD doctor and understand their own bodies.

alfred24
01-08-2014, 08:26 AM
There are absolutely physical things that can happen to your body that cause anxiety. For example - hormonal imbalance such as lack of enough testosterone in a man or progesterone in a female can cause anxiety. Sure - people who tend to he anxious tend to get more anxious over the issues these cause (unease, irritability, jitteriness, brain fog, and tachy) but anxiety doesn't alway equal panic. I know this from personal experience. Physical stimuli and experience and actual medical issues irritate anxiety but they can also cause anxiety in someone that has never experienced before. We can all call anxiety by the word it's called but it's really a broad set of symptoms that overlap many other physical ailments. Part of understanding is making sure we have checked ourselves out with a GOOD doctor and understand their own bodies.

Ah that is right

vonnhelsing
01-08-2014, 09:43 AM
Omg I was literaly about to ask the same question. Im on augmentin since yesterday and my anxiety has been over the hills and mountains. I think it may be because i have a slight phobia against taking medications and I keep expecting to have some side effects.. but maybe its not?

kcladyz
01-09-2014, 06:30 PM
I read online that leviquin can cause Anemia and damage to the central nervious system such as anxiety and panic attacks and my issues started when i took augmentin and leviquin back to back and the er doctor also diagnosed me with anemia and anxiety

Cara1989
01-09-2014, 11:42 PM
U get anxiety when i take anything because i do.t like to take meds lol

JLBnole68
01-10-2014, 01:03 AM
Antibiotics can certainly make you have digestive problems, but I'm not convinced there's any scientific evidence to conclude that they actually directly cause anxiety. I think your anxiety stems more from just being ill for a long time and being switched around on different meds. I just went through this with a sinus infection myself. My anxiety levels have been in overdrive. Plus they put me on a steroid that made me even more nervous. Went through 3 different antibiotics in 2 months. I totally sympathize, but the thing is, sinus infections are a little harder to treat sometimes. Certain antibiotics just seem to work better than others if it's a bacterial infection. Plus if your ears are affected too, I'm sure you may have a bit of dizziness or vertigo. That can really set off the anxiety. Right now, I'm on a 3-week regimen of Keflex and it actually finally helped with the sinus stuff. From what I read, it often takes several weeks, even with the right antibiotic to reach a sinus infection. I hope you find relief soon. I think that will definitely help the anxiety issues. -Jeff