PDA

View Full Version : Really, really anxious.

MandieeBearr
01-06-2014, 12:02 PM
Okay so, my year group in school is doing a musical this year, and I got one of the main roles (despite my heart pounding so hard it hurt during auditions!) I have a song to sing and I was really looking forward to it, but turns out performing in front of my year group is harder than I thought. For starters, I feel like the song is all over the place and I'm in no certain key, so my voice is just going every which way. I also have a few people in my year who I don't talk to and I've had fights with, so I feel like they're watching me and mocking me. It got to the point last time we rehearsed that I just ran out to another room and cried. Our music teacher took a good 20 minutes of rehearsal time persuading me to come back out because I wouldn't. I also wanted to stay near a toilet because I was heaving, and my heart was racing and I was sweating. Thinking of performing it in front of an audience for 3 nights is unsettling. Is there anything I could do/tell myself that would help calm me down, either right now or the nights of the musical? Thanks :/

Ashlee13x
01-06-2014, 12:14 PM
Everyone gets nervous!! It would be un natural if you didn't!! And about the people you have hd a fight with… honestly.. i grew up in a year group full of fake bitches like literally they were like the girls from the film Mean Girls… and I was really into acting and dancing when I was at school and them girls held me back and I never joined in with things like that and i still regret it to this day! You obviously have a good voice if you have been chosen as one of the lead roles, if they mock you, more than likely thy are jealous!!! Prove to them that they don't bother you, because then they know they can get to you!!

Maybe take some rescue remedy that you can get in boots and places like that.. i'm a nervous flyer and take that every time i fly and it calms me down! Good luck! What play is it??

MandieeBearr
01-06-2014, 12:16 PM
Thank you, I'll try that :) and we're doing Grease haha, I'm playing Kenickie xD

Ashlee13x
01-06-2014, 12:17 PM
Ahh wow, thats cool! good luck!!!

astronaute
01-06-2014, 12:22 PM
Hello Mandie, social phobia can be overwhelming as you describe, I also have it but less pronounced I suppose. First thing first, this is number one anxiety disorder, lot of people are unable to speak in front of other people watching them, especially on stage, you are not alone :)

How to address it? Well, cognitive behavioral therapy works well if you want to follow a therapy, otherwise you just have to focus on what you are doing. Do you enjoy singing? If yes, do what you enjoy, don't worry about other people watching you, there will always be people around you/us, don't react to them, just ignore them. Do as if those people you fought with are not even there. I know it's easier said than done, but you need to understand that maybe they want you to fail or maybe they don't care, you'll never know for sure so it is better to just ignore them and focus on what YOU want and enjoy, and do it for those who love you and whom you love!!

MandieeBearr
01-06-2014, 12:27 PM
Thank you! Yeah I do really enjoy singing.. Maybe I should focus on that instead of the people around me huh :/

Enduronman
01-06-2014, 12:35 PM
"Just ignore them and focus on what YOU want and enjoy, and do it for those who love you and whom you love!!"

Agreed 1000%!!!

Enduronman
01-06-2014, 12:36 PM
Performance anxiety is tough, I had the same...UNTIL I got out there in front of 500 people (SOLD OUT) and I loved it!!!....You'll do the same....Yes, you will. :)

MandieeBearr
01-06-2014, 12:41 PM
I know nerves are normal, but I'm afraid that I'll literally be too anxious to go on stage. If I'm worrying about it before I've even gone back to school who knows how bad I'll worry on the night?

MiST
01-06-2014, 12:44 PM
Performance anxiety is tough

Don't worry Bro, it happens to us all as we get older..http://www.fencingforum.com/forum/images/smilies/whistle.gif

MandieeBearr
01-06-2014, 12:54 PM
Hi Mandiee I agree with Ashlee that typically any mocking like that normally will come from jealousy. I bet you have a beautiful voice. My daughter did Footloose for her TY musical. She has some pretty big social anxiety too. The musical turned out to be the highlight of TY for her. It was like her Croagh Patrick! What a rush when your up there. You have a while to practice at home as well as school rehearsals yes? Plenty of practice will mean you can feel confident in your part and the energy that will be there when the show opens and how busy you will be will help you through. Do not forget everyone in it will be nervous too so your nerves will not stand out to others. You will be able to use all your anxiety kicking tools you know to stay calm. And guess what??? When it's done and you go wow! Did I just do that?! Imagine the extra confidence you will take from it when you doubt what you can do after it. I understand your fears I do but I am betting on you being glad you were a part of it and being just wonderful too.

Thank you this really helps :3 yeah I've been trying to practice but it takes a while cause I have to calm myself down over the fact i have to perform it in front of everyone :')

MiST
01-06-2014, 01:01 PM
Does imagining everyone is naked help? I'm sure i read that somewhere..:D

MandieeBearr
01-06-2014, 01:01 PM
I'll try, the show is in a few weeks so I'm gonna try go over the song a lot before then! :)

MandieeBearr
01-06-2014, 01:02 PM
Does imagining everyone is naked help? I'm sure i read that somewhere..:D

Never tried it. xD

MiST
01-06-2014, 01:03 PM
Try it and report back your finding..post haste!

MandieeBearr
01-06-2014, 01:08 PM
Try it and report back your finding..post haste!

I'm gonna have family sitting in the front row for every night so.. I'd rather not thank you :P haha

vonnhelsing
01-06-2014, 01:08 PM
Stage anxiety is sooo bad! I perform a lot with my friend.. before and at the beginning of the performance I get filled with dread to the point where I feel dizzy from the crazy heart pounding. But how good does it feel afterwards? When everyones cheering and clapping for ya? That feeling makes you wanna stay up there and continue performing.
I know one thing some people do before going on stage is taking a beta blocker.

MandieeBearr
01-06-2014, 01:09 PM
Good for you. Don't forget you auditioned. You sang your best to get a part. That means deep down you believe in yourself x

I suppose.. :) thank you ^_^ x

MandieeBearr
01-06-2014, 01:11 PM
Stage anxiety is sooo bad! I perform a lot with my friend.. before and at the beginning of the performance I get filled with dread to the point where I feel dizzy from the crazy heart pounding. But how good does it feel afterwards? When everyones cheering and clapping for ya? That feeling makes you wanna stay up there and continue performing. I know one thing some people do before going on stage is taking a beta blocker.

I know right, when I was only small I was in a stage school and I used to love when people were cheering :3 it's just the matter of getting through it without like running offstage in tears or something :/