PDA

View Full Version : I guess ive beaten anxiety

alfred24
01-05-2014, 03:54 AM
So, I first started writing in here about a year ago which is when my anxiety disorder began. It happened after an extremely bad reaction to a recreational drug. That night basically changed my life. I had a bad panic attack ( my first one ever) and it left me traumatized. I never wanted to experience that again. And well, you guys know that unfortunately it is the first of many. After my second panic attack, about 2 weeks after the first one, I had agoraphobia for about a week or so. I knew my dad had a year with anxiety disorder when he was younger so I went to stay with him for a week. He made me teas and stuff and made me eat even though I just never had an appetite. I lost a lot of weight during those first 2 months. I hated the anxiety every single day. My nerves were sooo sensitive it was bad. I didn't know what to do. I feel so bad when I remember what I went through. And when I read other's threads I'm reminded and I feel for all of you with ongoing anxiety. Thankfully my anxiety just started lifting. But it didn't come without some work. I looked all over the web for help. Remember looking up anxiety disorders and I found a link to a radio interview with a psychologist who works with people suffering. That interview taught me a lot about what panic actually is. I ordered his self help workbook and just did what it wanted me to do. Then I bought a book by Claire Weeks that was highly recommended. I believe it really made a difference in how I understood anxiety. It really gave me hope towards getting out of this mess. I'm an athletic guy and love sports and working out. I stopped though because of my anxiety. Once I got over the fear of getting panic in public I started going to the gym again and playing basketball every week. I started to feel a bit better but I still had the anxiety and feelings of panic except it would go for a few days and then return but every month that went by showed improvement. I was noticing I was getting better with every passing month. Finally, around august or September is when I stopped having anxiety. I used to wake up with it and go to sleep with it and then I just woke up without it one day and then went to sleep without it too. Woke up the next day with out it and again slept without it. Almost a week went by and I was still without anxiety. I acknowledged that I noticed it, and just went with it. Now I'm in January 2014 and I haven't woken up with anxiety in months. Although, I still think back to when I had bad anxiety and it kind of takes me back and sends chills up my spine but I can get over it now. It only stood a year with me and I can't imagine how a lot of you have it much longer. All I can say is that I just I did a lot of cardio exercise, a lot of basketball which was mainly my cardio and weightlifting. They say it's good for the brain which is what is causing the issue with anxiety disorders. I think eventually my subconscious started forgetting about the fear about my health and dying everyday and started going back to normal. It was a crazy journey that I will never forget. You can beat it, this is proof. It is how you think. Panic attacks are a reaction. You can stop them for good. It takes time, just don't give up. May you all find peace very soon. I'll pray for that. Be Well friends. If you have any questions at all I will do my best to help.

Enduronman
01-05-2014, 03:58 AM
I remember you friend!!

Congratulations to you Alfred!!!

Stick around, and help others, if you can man?!!!......

And have a great day too...

E-Man. :)

alfred24
01-05-2014, 03:59 AM
I remember you friend!! Congratulations to you Alfred!!! Stick around, and help others, if you can man?!!!...... And have a great day too... E-Man. :)

No way I remember you too!! :D Thanks for all your advice. I needed it greatly. Thanks so much.

cdfrank
01-05-2014, 04:00 AM
I'm dealing with anxiety going on 3 years and I wish I can be like you! I think about dying everyday thoughts of something happening or something's wrong! I don't even have the energy to exercise or do anything because I'm scared I might pass out or something but I do know when I was exercising I was feeling great and I wish I ha the energy and courage to get back to it! I'm happy for you and your recovery anybody who beats anxiety ass after anxiety has best their ass for some times is a survivor and a strong one because it's not easy to overcome!

AmberGbenga
01-05-2014, 04:14 AM
I cannot wait to be like you mate, I've only been having sever anxiety for about 2 months now.. And it feels like an eternity, but already I've improved crazy amounts, went from not doing or going anywhere.. Now I work, I work out everyday, go to therapy in the city by myself, am falling asleep without hassle, waiting up with hassle, I can even drink Caffiene now! BUT.. Still the lingering.. The thought of getting back on a plane.. The thing that I was on when I experienced my first serious attack.. I need to go on one in three months.. Serious courage needed for this shit haha

alfred24
01-05-2014, 04:15 AM
I'm dealing with anxiety going on 3 years and I wish I can be like you! I think about dying everyday thoughts of something happening or something's wrong! I don't even have the energy to exercise or do anything because I'm scared I might pass out or something but I do know when I was exercising I was feeling great and I wish I ha the energy and courage to get back to it! I'm happy for you and your recovery anybody who beats anxiety ass after anxiety has best their ass for some times is a survivor and a strong one because it's not easy to overcome! Man that is tough. I know exactly what you mean. I was scared to start working out again too because as soon as my heart rate sped up I began to think and THINKING with anxiety leads to thoughts that eventually bring panic. I stopped and realized one time that I was never like this before. My heart rate has sped up this way hundreds of times when exercising and I never ever freaked out about it. It frustrated me. I got lightheaded and that would make me panic even more. I learned that thoughts should not scare you. They are only thoughts, and I should let them go. Whenever I had thoughts that would bring panic I would remember to let them go. I'd think to myself "man stop it, I'm worrying, just stop. Let the thought go." And I could always finish my exercise. Eventually I needed to do that less and less. We think too irrationally when we have anxiety. We need to learn to go back to rational thinking. It took time with me but I stuck with it no matter how frustrated the seemingly lack of progress was making me. Don't stress so much. Stress keeps you sensitized. Stay grounded and calm. Help yourself. Your thoughts create the stress and the stress creates the symptoms. You can get better no matter how long you have been suffering that is for damn sure

Enduronman
01-05-2014, 04:16 AM
Good for you to stop back in Alfred!

I tried to go back and check out some of our work from when you were here in late 2012 but it wouldn't let me...just 2013. You were here in 2012 too right?....

And,..we've got some things to help you too CD... :)

alfred24
01-05-2014, 04:19 AM
Good for you to stop back in Alfred! I tried to go back and check out some of our work from when you were here in late 2012 but it wouldn't let me...just 2013. You were here in 2012 too right?.... And,..we've got some things to help you too CD... :)

Umm..I believe I came in early 2013. I had not found this place in 2012.

cdfrank
01-05-2014, 04:20 AM
Thank you, I really appreciate it I know that I will get better. I don't know when but I do known I will get better!

em1
01-05-2014, 04:23 AM
What was the book called that you read ? :)

cdfrank
01-05-2014, 04:26 AM
Is the book called "anxiety and phobia workbook"?

alfred24
01-05-2014, 04:30 AM
I cannot wait to be like you mate, I've only been having sever anxiety for about 2 months now.. And it feels like an eternity, but already I've improved crazy amounts, went from not doing or going anywhere.. Now I work, I work out everyday, go to therapy in the city by myself, am falling asleep without hassle, waiting up with hassle, I can even drink Caffiene now! BUT.. Still the lingering.. The thought of getting back on a plane.. The thing that I was on when I experienced my first serious attack.. I need to go on one in three months.. Serious courage needed for this shit haha

Aw man! Those first months are a bitch. It is a great thing you are helping yourself already. Keep at it. Seriously don't stop, please. You seem to be headed in the right direction. If the anxiety starts creeping back just remember to let the feeling happen, uncomfortable as hell I know but don't let it stress you. Let it happen without you adding fear and stress to it. It will eventually pass. And as for that plane ride, I bet it is scary. I've never even been on one so I've never had the experience. Be brave, everything will be completely fine. But you know that. It's just those damn thoughts, haha.

alfred24
01-05-2014, 04:38 AM
What was the book called that you read ? :)

The book is called "Hope and Help for your Nerves" by Dr Claire Weeks. Highly recommended. Seriously, one of the first things she writes or at least one of the many things that grabbed my attention in that book is "if you are reading this book because your nerves are in a bad way, you are the very person for whom it has been written and I shall therefore talk directly to you as if you were sitting beside me" and then she goes on to say "the advice given in this book will definitely cure you, if you follow it. This will take perseverance and some courage" sadly she passed away already but she has helped so many people with this book. She also suffered with anxiety. I'm sure you will appreciate the book. Best of luck to you friend

jessed03
01-05-2014, 04:39 AM
Way to go Alfred :)

alfred24
01-05-2014, 04:41 AM
Is the book called "anxiety and phobia workbook"?

It's called "The Panic Attacks Workbook" by Dr David Carbonell

He is really good at explaining what panic is and giving you great examples of certain scenarios. I was confused about a lot but he is pretty easy to understand. A Good psychologist

alfred24
01-05-2014, 04:42 AM
Way to go Alfred :)

Thanks man :)

AmberGbenga
01-05-2014, 04:55 AM
Thank you! God it's great to see you here, it's sucj a shame although understandable that when people get better they abandon this forum, but when the only people who post are current sufferers and we never see anyone who has kicked this fucker in the ass, it feels kinda bleak.. Oh yes, I'm riding this bull.. This thing will not get the better of me, I have a life to live dammit! Nothing will break my stride, this is my year. I'm getting married, moving to Hawaii, and most importantly and firstly, kicking this anxiety! I may check out the work book you suggested, bloody oath anything that will help is worth it!

cdfrank
01-05-2014, 05:03 AM
Thank you I know this will be really helpful

AmberGbenga
01-05-2014, 05:12 AM
Uh... So expensive to ship to Aussieland.. DAMMIT!!

anxiousga
01-05-2014, 05:57 AM
Thanks for sharing your story, Alfred!!! You are an inspiration :) I woke up feeling very anxious this morning, so it was nice to read your post.

alfred24
01-05-2014, 09:35 AM
Uh... So expensive to ship to Aussieland.. DAMMIT!!

Maybe you can find it at a bookstore there

kris123
01-05-2014, 09:49 AM
Thanks for sharing your story. It gives us hope that we can overcome this too. Do you still take medication for your anxiety?

alfred24
01-05-2014, 01:56 PM
Thanks for sharing your story. It gives us hope that we can overcome this too. Do you still take medication for your anxiety?

The only thing I was ever prescribed for my anxiety and panic was alprazolam. That was the first time I saw a doctor because I had just had a panic attack. This was last December. I used it maybe 4 times. The last time I used it was in May or June. Then I stopped because I didn't want to become dependent on it. So I didnt use any medication for overcoming the anxiety nor am I on any medication. I was able to overcome it naturally and being consistent with working towards doing things that would help.

alfred24
01-05-2014, 01:58 PM
Thanks for sharing your story, Alfred!!! You are an inspiration :) I woke up feeling very anxious this morning, so it was nice to read your post.

Thanks so much. That means a lot (:

michelle Smith
01-05-2014, 02:59 PM
Thanks for sharing your story. Ive just ordered the book off amazon hope it helps me like it did you.

kingmemphis
01-05-2014, 03:04 PM
Glad to hear your good news and wish you luck for your future. If you can stick around help others here in the forum. There are great people in this forum I don't post much but read every thread and try to give on advice on issues i am familiar with.

Like you I am free of anxiety attacks now and on the road to recovery, i have the one symptom to tackle which is nausea and be able to put myself out there living life.

Good luck to everybody in journey to full recovery.

alfred24
01-05-2014, 03:29 PM
Thanks for sharing your story. Ive just ordered the book off amazon hope it helps me like it did you.

That is great. I really hope it helps you too. Take it all to heart. Be brave and dont give up

alfred24
01-05-2014, 03:32 PM
Glad to hear your good news and wish you luck for your future. If you can stick around help others here in the forum. There are great people in this forum I don't post much but read every thread and try to give on advice on issues i am familiar with. Like you I am free of anxiety attacks now and on the road to recovery, i have the one symptom to tackle which is nausea and be able to put myself out there living life. Good luck to everybody in journey to full recovery.

Definitely. I remember feeling desperate and needing someone to help. So I'm very glad I can help others with my experience now. Thanks (:

AmberGbenga
01-05-2014, 03:42 PM
Happy as can be!! My fiancé is ordering the books for me and sending them :) I can't wait to get them now!! How exciting, a gift full with engagement ring AND anxiety help books.. I can't wait to get that package!!!!!!!!!!

alfred24
01-05-2014, 03:49 PM
Happy as can be!! My fiancé is ordering the books for me and sending them :) I can't wait to get them now!! How exciting, a gift full with engagement ring AND anxiety help books.. I can't wait to get that package!!!!!!!!!!

Very cool. Good thing you've got great support there (: I hope things start to get better for you i really really do. Best of luck to you and congrats on your engagement (:

AmberGbenga
01-05-2014, 03:52 PM
He is a fellow anxiety sufferer, thought he handles it fine.. Me on the other hand.. Not so much haha maybe when I move there this year I can help him!! I'm praying I'm cured before moving there.. That is my goal. I've come this far in a month so I don't see how I can't achieve this!! Thank you for everything! I hope the books help! :)

cdfrank
01-05-2014, 07:17 PM
I have been under a lot of stress with anxiety, not sleeping, not eating the way I should out of fear! I get frightened really easy when something falls or WHATVER else that it seem like my heart is hurting which cause more stress and anxiety because I think I'm having a heart attack anybody else feel this way?

alfred24
01-05-2014, 08:03 PM
I have been under a lot of stress with anxiety, not sleeping, not eating the way I should out of fear! I get frightened really easy when something falls or WHATVER else that it seem like my heart is hurting which cause more stress and anxiety because I think I'm having a heart attack anybody else feel this way? When you say you're frightened easily when something falls or makes a quick loud noise do you mean that you get startled easily? If so that's exactly how I was. I'd be laying in bed and I'd hear a somewhat loud sound like a door closing or something falling on the floor and it would startle me easily making my heart rate increase slightly for a second. Everything you just explained, I went through. The exact same stuff. My heart would feel like it hurts but in reality it's the muscle inside that hurts, not the heart. I was always scared of having a heart attack or something. When you get stressed, and I mean overly stressed like with anxiety, you are starting to affect your mood. Your mood determines how your nerves act. Your emotions affect the anxiety. When you start to feel anxious and fearful your brain sends the signal to the adrenal glands to produce and let out adrenaline through your body. That comes with it's own symptoms. And if you have anxiety then you notice every symptom you feel. And because the symptom may seem unnatural to you, you react with even more fear. You are completely fine and completely safe but your thoughts and fears just get in the way and prevent you from realizing it. That's what we need to try and stop, the irrational thinking. It's hard but over time you can get better at it. When I would feel something like that I would let it come and not become more afraid about it. Let it come and let it go. Don't worry don't become bewildered, allow it to make you feel uncomfortable, it will pass. Keep doing it every time it happens. Sometimes it may be hard and you may need someone with you but that isn't always necessary. You can do this. Let go of the fears. You are safe. You know this and in time you will see it and realize it.

cdfrank
01-05-2014, 09:21 PM
That's exactly what I'm talking about anything drop or whatever I'm easily startled and I just feel like I'm gone have a heart attack because my heart be hurting so bad afterwards for a long time and it take me a while to calm down! It's really depressing cause I think you can do one thing and have a heart attack! I be scared for people to do stuff cause I get scared so easy!

hypochondriac1993
01-05-2014, 09:31 PM
You're anxiety sounds just like mine!