PDA

View Full Version : Define Panic Attacks & Anxiety Attacks

MiST
01-04-2014, 04:41 PM
Hey guys and gals,

I keep reading people say they are having panic attacks and axiety attacks at certain times, can you define what this is? Because i don't think i have had what many of you describe as happen.

My symptoms are more of a constant, they are always with me, sometimes they are worse than at other times, but i always have them.

So when you say your having an attack, do you just mean the symptoms are more extreme than usual?

melismith
01-04-2014, 04:47 PM
I don't know the difference. Mine are also constant but there are times they get really bad so I'm assuming that'd be an attack. When mine gets bad I feel like dizzy and I'm gonna pass out I get hot and my ears start ringing , my hands get sweaty. So I'm kind of wondering the same thing.

em1
01-04-2014, 04:49 PM
Mine at the moment are always there but that's my fault for cutting down my meds when I really
Should just stay in them and my scary thoughts coming back which in return makes
Me not eat and sleep so I don't think that helps at all,it so draining

melismith
01-04-2014, 04:56 PM
How do you deal with it always being there? That's what I'm trying to figure out. I'm in meds but i have at least two weeks until they start working. I've been sent home from work twice and that can't happen anymore I'm looking for ways to cope from day to day

Enduronman
01-04-2014, 04:56 PM
Hmmm...

Anxiety attacks=panic attacks.
1. A Panic attack is a mere thought, concious or sub concious, that triggers the glands (pituitary, thyroid, etc) to send signal messages to the adrenal glands atop your kidneys, to dump adrenaline into your systems in a tenth of a second, because of the "triggered" thought reaction that our bodies only know as "OMG, WE'RE under attack" so the body then puts itself into a (fight or flight) response...Beat the s**t outta someone, or run away...From what? Our bodies know no different, we feel as if we are going to be mauled by a lion, in a cage, at a zoo...and we have a steak tied around our neck. BUT, we don't, and there's NOTHING to fear 99.93% of the time either....it's just our bodies own "perseption" of what is about to take place, that really isn't.

It all starts, in the mind. With a thought...then, the rest happens in a tenth of a second.
Elevated heart rate.
Higher blood pressure.
The body will stop all blood flow to the extremities to "protect" the core life providing organs from a death blow, that isn't there, there is no sword or spears or bullets.
Body temperature will rise instantly.
One may sweat profusely instantly.
Breathing will become erratic.
One may hyperventilate.
BUT,...NO ONE has ever died of a Panic Attack in the history of this world...because those same chemicals that cause this feeling, also bring along chemicals to keep you alive too...interesting.
Scary, but intrigueing....

That's IMHO a panic attack...

Just, walk away.....then it dissapates. within minutes.

Now, being in a physical battle is different..but the explanation is much more complex because even more chemicals and feelings come into play...it's weird.

E-Man..:)

em1
01-04-2014, 04:57 PM
How do you deal with it always being there? That's what I'm trying to figure out. I'm in meds but i have at least two weeks until they start working. I've been sent home from work twice and that can't happen anymore I'm looking for ways to cope from day to day

Hi ya what meds are you on and how long have you been on them?

melismith
01-04-2014, 05:03 PM
Lexapro I have been on it for about 2 weeks and he have me ativan which instantly calms me down but I still have the symptoms like dizziness weakness lighheaded etc

Enduronman
01-04-2014, 05:05 PM
Meli...some people experience "heightened" anxiety of the Lexapro....

Is this when your anxiety got worse, and brought you here????....

E-Man...

melismith
01-04-2014, 05:05 PM
Lexapro I have been on about 2 weeks and he gave me ativan to take when I feel it coming on ativan helps relax me and calm me but I'm still dizzy weak lightheaded etc

Enduronman
01-04-2014, 05:06 PM
How many mgs?...50mg???.....hmmmm....

melismith
01-04-2014, 05:07 PM
Yes that's why I'm here:) I have never felt like this.

Enduronman
01-04-2014, 05:08 PM
How many mgs to start on the Lexa???...50???? 2 weeks ago, dizzy, lightheaded, foggy,...????

melismith
01-04-2014, 05:11 PM
Yes 50 and yes all of those.

Enduronman
01-04-2014, 05:14 PM
grrr...

When do you take this Lexapro>>>????
In the AM with food?...
IMHO...I would suggest splitting that thing in half for the first month (No, I'm not an MD but USUALLY an MD would start someone out at 25mgs, AM, with food)....

E-Man....

Enduronman
01-04-2014, 05:15 PM
Lexapro is (weeelllllllll knownnnnnnn ) for it's ability to produce "inner energy" that which resembles anxiety...

Do you feel realllllyyyyy "busy" internally??????

melismith
01-04-2014, 05:51 PM
grrr... When do you take this Lexapro>>>???? In the AM with food?... IMHO...I would suggest splitting that thing in half for the first month (No, I'm not an MD but USUALLY an MD would start someone out at 25mgs, AM, with food).... E-Man....

I do take it in the morning with food and yes I do feel busy internally. Maybe tomorrow I'll try a half in the morning.

Enduronman
01-04-2014, 05:55 PM
YES, please!!!...You may (will) notice a huge difference...Nothing wrong with splitting that one, not XR extended release...:)

melismith
01-04-2014, 06:42 PM
Are you on something else now that helps
more?

AmberGbenga
01-04-2014, 07:52 PM
Ok I get panic attacks. Basically I'm fine, all happy and dandy la di fucking DA then BOOM!!' Sever symptoms. See I get anxiety at times where it is minor symptoms. But I'm mainly
Full of attacks.. I assumed it's because I'm a bottler, bottle everything up then explode.

rhar
01-05-2014, 03:24 AM
Ok I get panic attacks. Basically I'm fine, all happy and dandy la di fucking DA then BOOM!!' Sever symptoms. See I get anxiety at times where it is minor symptoms. But I'm mainly Full of attacks.. I assumed it's because I'm a bottler, bottle everything up then explode.

I'm the same. Fine then bam full attack out of nowhere

AmberGbenga
01-05-2014, 03:29 AM
It's great, although I guess I'd prefer it rather than anxiety all day everyday.. That must be hard :(

Sharon18
01-05-2014, 03:30 AM
I don't know the difference. Mine are also constant but there are times they get really bad so I'm assuming that'd be an attack. When mine gets bad I feel like dizzy and I'm gonna pass out I get hot and my ears start ringing , my hands get sweaty. So I'm kind of wondering the same thing.

That was me just today....

rhar
01-05-2014, 03:31 AM
It's great, although I guess I'd prefer it rather than anxiety all day everyday.. That must be hard :(

I get attacks and anxiety all day every day. It's miserable

cdfrank
01-05-2014, 03:53 AM
I get panic attacks and anxiety all day everyday and trust me nothing is worse than a panic attack everyday it really take the energy out of you and leave you terrified!

ab123
01-05-2014, 04:21 AM
Hey guys and gals,

I keep reading people say they are having panic attacks and axiety attacks at certain times, can you define what this is? Because i don't think i have had what many of you describe as happen.

My symptoms are more of a constant, they are always with me, sometimes they are worse than at other times, but i always have them.

So when you say your having an attack, do you just mean the symptoms are more extreme than usual?
Anxiety is just a general feeling of unease, being uncomfortable or noticing your throughts going in an unreasonably negative direction regarding whatever your anxious about. A panic attack is the activation of the fight or flight response in your body. This spills adrenaline into your system causing a wide array of awful symptoms all with an impending doom type of feeling. Panic attacks can be short, but I've had rolling panic attacks for days on end.

gemma1788
01-05-2014, 04:59 AM
How many mgs?...50mg???.....hmmmm....

Wow! 50mgs Lexapro! Isn't that huge? The max dose in Australia is 20mg, perhaps 40 if it is severe enough to warrant it, that seems huge to me, I didn't even know the tablets came in 50mgs. I take 5mg lol!

alankay
01-05-2014, 07:42 AM
Wow never heard over 50 mg of escitalopram(lexapro). I'd just double check that with your doc. He might be confusing citalopram(celexa, 20-40mg dose range) with escitalopram(lexapro, 10-20mg dose range). Just to be safe. Alankay

Enduronman
01-05-2014, 07:46 AM
Yes Alan,...seemed abit high and I was getting anxiety just reading about taking that much!!..My heart was racing too!!!...(phew).....:|

Dahila
01-05-2014, 08:03 AM
I had not seen this thread, :)
Anxiety is with me all the time, however is not profound when on meds, Panic attacks , full blown panic attacks do not happen, now. When it starts which was 3 times in the last maybe 6 months I pop in Ativan. Even on meds I have the gloomy feeling. This forum helps though
Panic attack starts for me with shaking of my hands and the same feeling inside. Some people have similar feeling when their blood sugar goes down. It is awful of course. For the 30 years I had so many of them and they kind of similar but different. The signs like elevated heart beat and higher blood pressure is always there....

melismith
01-05-2014, 08:54 AM
My starting dose was 25 mg x1 per day. Lexapro. It did not benefit me personally.. No scratch that I'm getting myself befuddled! Lexapro started at 5 / 10 / then max dose in Ireland is 20! How are you on 50? Look at lexapro on drugs.com. That has to be a mistake surely.

My mistake!!! Wow after I noticed all this about it being 50 I thought I read it wrong and sure enough I did it's 25. Sorry my bad. I was thinking why are all these people thinking that's so high I know that's whAt it is and then I looked and it's not!!:)

Enduronman
01-05-2014, 08:58 AM
http://www.pic4ever.com/images/290.gifHOLY S**T!!! OK!!!!!.....bahaahaaa!!!

You thought, OMG!!! These people are nuckin futs!!..(well, mostly right though)....

BUT still, break it in half!!! 12.5!!!...for the first month and I don't care what your Doc says...give him my number.

Enduronman
01-05-2014, 08:59 AM
BAHAAAH!! Didn't realize what little animated guy does,....oops!

We can all still posts!! LMAO!!.....:)

melismith
01-05-2014, 09:21 AM
I'll have to do that. I did only take half this morning so we'll see. I have a question! How do you guys that have dizziness deal with it?? I would say that's my worst symptom to me. I wake up feeling dizzy and it drives me insane!

Enduronman
01-05-2014, 10:37 AM
http://www.pic4ever.com/images/alcoholic.gifI would have your Doc do a blood test before we could really help with this one Meli. It may be low sodium, low potassium, dehydration, low minerals, low in certain vitamins, vertigo, low BP. high BP,..or a million different things...and maybe just even this Lexapro too.

Go with 12.5, or s**t even 6.25mg to see if that helps in a day or two...then you'll know if its the meds..

Yes, you can cut them into tiny pieces with a razor or pill cutter.

E & J...Hey that's a brandy.

Dahila
01-05-2014, 12:50 PM
This is exactly what my psych told me, always start from small dose to see how the body reacts. This way she checked a few meds on me, very small dose and she told me to stop if I do not feel ok about the med. She is awesome, I will see her on Tuesday:)