PDA

View Full Version : Coping with Media

Olive Yew
01-02-2014, 08:10 PM
So I love action movies and books and whatnot... But i've found that if the movie is stressful enough, it'll give me some anxiety. Nothing terrible.. Mostly just like really bad stress... Enough to make me uncomfy. Used to be that it only did this when I was in theaters. But now it's any time I watch a stressful movie. Any pointers on how I could get over this??

MiST
01-02-2014, 08:20 PM
Perhaps trying to change your viewing habbits?

I myself love Horror films and love a good scare, i notice my heart rate increase and my hands get a bit sweaty but i just think that is a natural body response to the content i'm watching.

Perhaps it is the same for you? Maybe it is not your anxiety but instead your bodys reaction to the stimulus of a good film?

Try and think of it like that if you can.

Olive Yew
01-02-2014, 08:28 PM
Oky! :) i shall try that

jessed03
01-02-2014, 09:48 PM
You're doing a lot right. Time will be your best friend when it comes to getting rid of all the annoying left over stuff:)

Olive Yew
01-02-2014, 10:13 PM
Yeeeeeah.... I'm just impatient i suppose lol

NeverToo...Fear
01-03-2014, 08:21 AM
I used to have full-blown panic attacks when I watched TV, especially stressful shows or movies.. that was several years ago. I got over it, but it took several months with lot's of practice with DVDs.. pausing them frequently, getting up to drink water all while my heart pounded like crazy and I had all the classic panic attack symptoms. Fun, right? But I pushed to work through it and I finally got to that uncomfortable bad stress stage like how you describing now.. and to that I would just work through it in my head. I really had to kinda just take myself out of the movie so I wouldn't get so into it. It gradually faded away after another few months.. so I'm thinking this is temporary for you.. maybe watch less stressful things for a bit :)

Olive Yew
01-03-2014, 08:30 AM
I have watched nothing but silly Disney movies and movies from my childhood for 5 months. Last night I watched Brave and even that stressed me out.... But i think i'll just desensitize myself like you said... Cuz I do love action movies

NeverToo...Fear
01-03-2014, 08:58 AM
Hah, well Brave does have some stressful moments in there.. :P

Good luck, Olive! It will pass.. I thought I'd never watch an action movie again normally, but you will.. can't have life without some action ;)

Olive Yew
01-03-2014, 09:07 AM

ParanoidPenny
01-03-2014, 02:10 PM
I get panicky watching movies too! We are going to see Paranormal Activity 4 tonight, pray for me!

jessed03
01-03-2014, 02:13 PM
#PrayForPenny

ParanoidPenny
01-03-2014, 02:15 PM
Haha!!! :D