PDA

View Full Version : Boredom

Olive Yew
01-01-2014, 06:23 PM
Does anyone get DP/DR from being bored or watching movies? Cuz I do. I seem to get it if I'm
A) bored
B) been watching too much tv or computer
C) TIRED

artaud
01-01-2014, 06:56 PM
B) been watching too much tv or computer
C) TIRED

B and C.

I had a problem at one point from reading and revising too many documents at work. It left me extremely agitated for weeks, not angry, just felt weird. I found a link to a web page that discussed that phenomenon, but I haven't been able to find it recently. It talked about excess text viewing and parsing words. I'm not sure if it was an article or forum.

A really strange effect I had was when driving. It's very brief, probably when I get road hypnotized, such as driving on the highway, no challenging events occurring (no passing, open highway). Just for a moment, I'm convinced that the car is stationary and the road is coming at me. Steering works the same, so the relationship is unimportant, but it feels briefly like a TV game in a sense, and I don't play TV games.

Olive Yew
01-01-2014, 07:40 PM
I used to get that feeling all the time driving! I hated it!!!

temperancebrennan
01-01-2014, 07:43 PM
I definitely get DP/DR more if I'm tired. It's like my brain goes into dream world & I wonder if I'm actually awake or if my whole day has been a dream / am I dreaming now. It's such an awful feeling. Can't seem to figure out how to snap out of it.

Olive Yew
01-01-2014, 07:45 PM
My mom thinks it's because my body has trained itself to fear being uncomfortable so it reacts to any kind of discomfort like it would to being anxious. We have to figure out how to train our brain to accept discomfort i guess

temperancebrennan
01-01-2014, 07:48 PM
That's an interesting thought. I never thought of that before, but it makes a lot of sense. Well done mum!

Olive Yew
01-01-2014, 08:06 PM
Yeah that's sort of what I've been doing is just going "oh silly brain. You're just tired" and it does back off :) distraction really helps

temperancebrennan
01-01-2014, 08:08 PM
That's a good way of looking at it. When it happens, work tend to send me to the sick room with a book. It helps a bit to read, but I never feel fully okay until a good few hours later. But it can help to sort it slightly so I can get some work done after an hour or so.

Olive Yew
01-01-2014, 08:35 PM
I actually haven't REALLY read in like... 3 months... because of anxiety... Not really sure why. My brain had me convinced that reading would make it worse.... Makes sense because my second massive panic attack was while I was reading

temperancebrennan
01-01-2014, 08:44 PM
Ouch. What an awful thing for it to spoil. I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't read. I like it because I can get away from reality for a while & forget that everything else exists.

I wonder why it happened when you were reading?

My first attack happened at work at my computer. Bizarre.

Olive Yew
01-01-2014, 08:55 PM
My first attack was when i was driving to my fiance's house (an hour away.... And another terrible thing to spoil). Got so bad I couldn't drive to his house for two months. He spent a lot of gas money coming to see me. The second attack was while i was reading a book. I was getting really excited and then my heart started palpitating repeatedly and I couldn't get it to stop and I started hyperventilating and I ended up calling my mom an begging her to come home from work early.

temperancebrennan
01-01-2014, 08:58 PM
That's terrible :( I'm sorry that it ruined good things for you.

It's so strange that it can happen at a time when you feel happy & then all of a sudden it's like everything is crashing down around you.

Bloody pain in the arse this anxiety thing!

Olive Yew
01-01-2014, 09:10 PM
Exactly! But i'm doing SO much better now! If i was a 4 cylinder car, anxiety i was running on one cylinder. Now im running on like 3.5. Just trying to shake off the last bits of DP/DR and little moments of anxiety under high stress moments.