PDA

View Full Version : Afraid to take my Xanax, need help :(

ohokay
02-08-2008, 08:58 PM
Okay so I was prescribed .25mg Xanax to take whenever I have anxiety, but I'm afraid to take it!! I had a bad experience with marijuana and ever since I'm always afraid to do any drugs of any kind. I'm afraid of feeling like I'm not in control of myself, but I want to take my medication to see if it helps my anxiety.

So will .25mg do ANYTHING? And if so, how long will the effects last? Because if I hate the effects and I freak out I'll be able to tell myself "okay only (however many) hours left"

Please help :unsure:

ohokay
02-08-2008, 09:12 PM
oh come on i see all these views but no replys. i really need answers :(

SuperMegaRichard
02-10-2008, 03:25 AM
Um yeah people with anxiety are commonly afraid of medication. It may or may not do something to you. The only way to find out is try it. I promise you wont die if you are a healthy adult. Your body will take over and if worst comes to worst you will pass out.

Xanax is a sedative, which will never be a cure for anxiety, it only may help put you at ease when you are starting to feel anxious. But people who are anxious about medication will most likely fight it and not let it do its job.

So basically try it and see! If you have someone you can turn to then do so, if not you will be fine anyway. Basically Xanax is harmless in a prescribed dose in one use. But it should be your last resort because it can be habit forming and your body will eventually become dependent. In the long run its a horrible way of dealing with anxiety.

ohokay
02-11-2008, 09:53 PM
Okay so I took my Xanax. It was an "act on impulse" kind of thing, but I did it. (followed with a 'what the heck did i just do' feeling). It was fine. I was freawking out then all of a sudden I got a sense of "its going to be okay" it was amazing and I can definatly see how it can be habit forming! But I've promised myself I'll only take it if there is nothing else I can do. Thankyou for the post, I greatly appreciate it. :)

crippledcowgirl
02-12-2008, 12:27 PM
I also am new to Xanax...it's worked great for me. I have severe panic attacks...xanax works great. The first time I had tired it was in the hospital...I was born with a severe heart condition, so I am constantly in the hospital for various reasons. My anxieties are mostly around living with my illness. Staying in the hospital is pure hell for me...so xanax keeps me sane and calm while I am there. I have recently had problems with anxiety attacks at home...and was told to try xanax...a life saver! WOW! I am however very cautious with this drug as I have background in drug counselling and know how habit forming it can become.

So glad that you were able to find some relief with taking xanax. I have been taking pills all my life for my heart and at the age of 18 started with anxiety and depression meds. I know how scary it is each time you have to try a new drug. I have had bad reactions too...but also many good ones. *pats you on the back* Good job!

dna_hard
05-15-2008, 12:53 AM
Yeah, i have been taking xanax for years now and it is habit forming, but just remember that if you only take it when you need it then you willl be fine. In short, do not take it on a hour of every day; use it as a tool by only taking it if you really start to feel like you are going to panic etc. Its ok to feel a little nervous, do not take it just because you feel a little nervous either, try to calm yourself down without the xanax first and in the back of you mind, you should feel at ease knowing that its there just incase. I do agree that its habit forming, i always need to have it in my toolbox, just the thought of it being there makes me feel better